HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

A question.

What does the old logo actually respresent?

Can you date when it was first used?

Which artist designed it?

Can you names the two ships shown on the logo?

That's a total of 4 questions. ;)

1) History and modernity, at least in the 80s.

2) Mid-1980s, probably 1985 or 1986.

3) I got nothin'.

4) The Nieuw Amsterdam II over one of Henry Hudson's ships. Not sure which one, maybe the Haelve Maen? (Spell check is killing me here.)

How'd I do? Can I advance to the next round? Are there fabulous prizes? Can I trade for what's behind Door #2?

Seriously though, thanks for the trivia quiz. If you have some pins or other trinkets, this is gonna be huge.

For those that don't want to seek out the press releases...

#1 - re: BBC Earth

BBC Earth and Holland America Line Ships in Groundbreaking Partnership

Award-winning BBC Earth content to connect guests with wonders of the natural world

Seattle, Wash., Oct. 29, 2015 — Holland America Line is partnering with award-winning BBC Earth to bring world-class fun and factual entertainment onboard its fleet of premium ships. Through the innovative and breathtaking programming that is a signature of BBC Earth, guests will be taken closer to the ocean and natural world through groundbreaking concerts, films, shows, children’s activities and theme cruises.

The BBC Earth program is set to roll out across Holland America Line’s fleet starting in April 2016 and will be on all ships by September 2016.

“Holland America Line cruises are all about experiential travel and venturing to all corners of the globe, and this exclusive partnership with BBC Earth will make that a richer, more rewarding experience for our guests,” said Orlando Ashford, Holland America Line’s president. “No one else in the cruise industry is offering the depth of quality content that BBC Earth will bring to our ships, and we hope this program will give our guests a deeper connection to the destinations we visit.”

A highlight of the partnership will be a live concert specially adapted for the line based on the “Frozen Planet” program, which will take guests on a journey into the majestic wilderness of the Polar Regions. The production will feature “Frozen Planet” footage and be accompanied by live musicians, making it a feast for the senses.

On all ships, guests will also be able to enjoy enriching activities including a game show uncovering the weird, wonderful and obscure in our natural world and BBC Earth theater screenings with special introductions by the film crew behind the programs.

Junior cruisers can get in on the adventure as well with an on-board explorer trail, fun workshops, and BBC Earth animal and dinosaur fact shows. They will even have the opportunity to try their hand at being a journalist.

Guests who want a deeper BBC Earth experience can join a featured theme cruise that will include access to the creators of your favorite BBC Earth shows who share their behind-the-scenes stories of how the programs are made and conduct master classes in their craft. Younger guests will also have the opportunity to have film workshops with the BBC Earth YouTube team. Featured cruise dates will be announced at a later time.

Mat Way, Commercial Director Live Entertainment for BBC Worldwide added, “BBC Earth exists to inspire people with the incredible wonder of the natural world and it’s exciting to partner with a company like Holland America Line that shares our vision. Working creatively with BBC Earth’s world class content we look forward to creating some unique, immersive and unforgettable experiences for Holland America Line guests of all ages.”

About BBC Earth

BBC Earth is a global factual brand which seeks to inspire audiences in the UK and worldwide with the most incredible sights, stories and characters from the natural world. Commercially and internationally the brand is managed by BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC. Since launch the brand has grown across multiple platforms including branded blocks on television, live events, social media, visitor attractions, theatrical releases for cinema and giant screen films and online on BBC.com. BBC Earth began its global roll out in 2015 by launching new linear channels internationally that are dedicated to bringing audiences premium factual content.

For more information about Holland America Line, consult a travel professional, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit http://www.hollandamerica.com.

Editor’s note: Images and logos are available at https://www.cruiseimagelibrary.com/c/zdvoa8pq.

Edited by InTheWASide

#2 - re: AFAR Media

Holland America Line Partners with AFAR Media to Bring Expert Destination Content to Guests and Travel Enthusiasts

Comprehensive new guides will detail hundreds of ports of call worldwide

Seattle, Wash., Oct. 29, 2015 – Holland America Line is partnering with experiential travel expert AFAR Media to help cruisers dream, plan, choose and prepare for the perfect cruise vacation. Through the collaboration, AFAR will provide “Destination Guides” for all of Holland America Line’s ports of call and scenic cruising areas — totaling approximately 400.

The Destination Guides will be available on Holland America Line’s website, giving guests the most comprehensive information accessible to travelers in the cruise industry. AFAR will utilize its vast network of local experts to curate the content, providing travelers with authentic recommendations for top attractions, restaurants and shopping experiences in each destination.

“Holland America Line guests seek authenticity in travel, and studies have shown that travelers trust and value expert, third-party content above all else,” said Orlando Ashford, Holland America Line’s president. “Our new partnership with AFAR Media will deliver the most extensive destination information to our guests in a way that’s never been done before in cruising, ensuring they will have the perfect shoreside experience tailored to their personal tastes and interests.”

From the world’s most iconic cities to relatively undiscovered ports that Holland America Line is known for, each Destination Guide will contain an overview of up to 20 top picks to see and do in the area; recommended restaurants, cafes and markets; and boutique shopping suggestions.

“To our guests, a Holland America Line cruise is much more than the cruise itself,” continued Ashford. “Our guests are passionate about travel; it’s a lifestyle for them. So the dreaming and planning are all part of the experience. AFAR will elevate the way we engage with our guests and add value in a meaningful way.”

“AFAR is thrilled to be working with Holland America Line on this exciting partnership,” said AFAR co-founder, Joe Diaz. “Through the growth of AFAR Custom, we are able to partner with industry leaders such as Holland America Line to create and utilize the power of high-quality content to increase brand affinity across a variety of channels, drive engagement, and inspire travelers to have deeper, richer and more fulfilling travel experiences. Now, no matter where you are sailing to, Holland America Line guests can uncover unique experiences in every port of call.”

About AFAR Media

AFAR Media is a multiplatform media company dedicated to experiential travel, inspiring and enabling its audience to have deeper, richer and more meaningful travel experiences. Founded by Greg Sullivan and Joe Diaz, AFAR launched as a print travel magazine at the height of the recession in 2009 to approach travel in a way no other media publication was doing, to meet a rapidly growing appetite among travelers for more immersive and authentic experiences. Based in New York and San Francisco, AFAR’s diverse portfolio of platforms includes AFAR magazine; AFAR.com; Learning AFAR, a nonprofit foundation that introduces the importance of travel to high school students; the AFAR Travel Guide mobile app; the speaking event series, AFAR Conversations; and AFAR Experiences, an exclusive immersive travel event series. For more information visit http://www.afar.com.

For more information about Holland America Line, consult a travel professional, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit http://www.hollandamerica.com.

Editor’s note: Images and logos are available at https://www.cruiseimagelibrary.com/c/zdvoa8pq.

#3 - re: Utrip

Holland America Line Collaborates with Software Platform Utrip to Offer the Highest Level of Cruise Vacation Personalization

Cruisers can more easily find the best itinerary and shoreside activities based on their tailored preferences

Seattle, Wash., Oct. 29, 2015 – Selecting the right cruise itinerary and then deciding what to do while in port can be daunting, but Holland America Line’s new collaboration with Utrip will give guests the most comprehensive and interactive personalized planning and discovery tool in the cruise industry.

Through integration into the Holland America Line website, the Utrip platform will offer a novel way to personalize content in new Destination Guides being created in partnership with travel authority AFAR Media. Cruisers will be able to browse the information on their own or utilize the Utrip functionality to select desired ports of call, highlights and activities ashore. They will then receive customized recommendations on the line’s cruise itineraries, port highlights, as well as shore excursions tailored to their interests.

“Our guests want to experience destinations in their own way, and through our partnership with Utrip they can now personalize their trip in a fun and engaging way, as well as make more informed choices about what to do and see ashore,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “We are thrilled to partner with another Seattle-based company, and we know our guests are going to enjoy exploring the world in a whole new way using the Utrip interface on our website.”

Utrip simplifies searching through Holland America Line’s thousands of cruise itineraries and shoreside activities by enabling guests to narrow down their options and save specific ports and interests. These are recommended by either a pre-determined profile or a personalized one created with interactive sliders covering History, Art and Culture, Food and Drink, Nature and Outdoors, and Contemporary Life.

For each destination, Utrip searches top-pick attractions, local dining and shopping options for the best match to personal preferences. Interactive maps allow users to see the location of each suggestion and click for additional information. The interface also will make recommendations for Holland America Line group shore excursions based on preferences.

Another facet of the Utrip platform is that it will enable guests to find cruises visiting specific ports and regions without having to sort through dozens of itineraries in the area. For example, if a traveler knows she wants to visit Europe and explore Spain, Italy and Monaco, and more specifically Barcelona, Rome, and Monte Carlo, Utrip might recommend ms Oosterdam’s 12-day Mediterranean Rivieras voyage departing May 24, 2016, or ms Eurodam’s 12-day Mediterranean Tapestry cruise departing July 5, 2016.

“We are excited to work with Holland America Line to create a new way for their guests to plan and personalize their cruise,” said Gilad Berenstein, Utrip founder and CEO. “Utrip’s platform will generate itinerary and shoreside recommendations based on a guest’s preferences, so it’s much easier to find sailings and activities that are most interesting to them. It simplifies the decision-making process and makes planning their next vacation more engaging and enjoyable.”

Users can save the recommendations to their profile so they can easily find them when they are ready to book their cruise.

About Utrip

Utrip was founded in Seattle, Washington, in 2012 by Gilad Berenstein after he experienced difficulties planning a trip to Europe. It is a free travel-planning platform that brings together the best in artificial intelligence and human experience, making it easy for travelers to create their perfect trip. Utrip’s predictive technology works on a vast travel database that has been curated by local experts.

That's a total of 4 questions. ;)

1) History and modernity, at least in the 80s.

Link of Old World Europe - Netherlands to New World - New York)

2) Mid-1980s, probably 1985 or 1986.

3) I got nothin'.

4) The Nieuw Amsterdam II over one of Henry Hudson's ships. Not sure which one, maybe the Haelve Maen? (Spell check is killing me here.)

How'd I do? Can I advance to the next round? Are there fabulous prizes? Can I trade for what's behind Door #2?

Seriously though, thanks for the trivia quiz. If you have some pins or other trinkets, this is gonna be huge.

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I seem to recall hearing there is an implied link of Old World to New.

Correct. We subscribed once and didn't renew it. So little content that it wouldn't even hold one's attention in a dentist's office. And so few people have ever heard of it I believe.

So if they have little content, how much can they help HAL?

I suppose T&L or Conde Nast Traveler wanted too much money...

Renderings of the renovated Signature and Neptune Suites.

I think these look fantastic!

Signature:

T1102EURODAMSIGSUITE.jpg?n=9664&origwidth=1540&origheight=866&origmode=crop&Anchor=MiddleCenter&width=750&height=422&scale=both&mode=crop

Neptune:

T1102EURODAMNEPTSUITE.jpg?n=4656

That's two Neptunes. IIRC, the Sig didn't have chairs, so the only way to watch TV was from the bed.

Edited to add: you updated your post while I was typing. The sofa is under the TV.

I wish they weren't using gray. Whoever decided that gray is "THE" decorator color should be shot and wrapped in a gray shroud.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Link of Old World Europe - Netherlands to New World - New York)

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I seem to recall hearing there is an implied link of Old World to New.

I just want to know if I won a prize. Where's Captain Card?

That's two Neptunes. IIRC, the Sig didn't have chairs, so the only way to watch TV was from the bed.

Edited to add: you updated your post while I was typing. The sofa is under the TV.

I wish they weren't using gray. Whoever decided that gray is "THE" decorator color should be shot and wrapped in a gray shroud.

It's one of each. The space between bed and couch and shape of the couch as well as length of the room are the main identifiers.

Here's both on the Vista Class with more distinct decor to make the difference more obvious:

520XSuperior.jpg

520XDlxVerSuite.jpg

I realize that this is a bold prediction: I think that after today's dismal performance that we will see Arnold Donald leave Carnival Corporation within 12 to 18 months.

The mis-steps with today's announcement should simply have not happened, especially to the CEO of the Corp. Mr. Donald is surrounded by trusted advisors whose job is to ensure that this type of incident does not happen. But it did.

A CEO should never find themselves at the centre of a presentation that was late starting, marred by technical glitches, amateurish PowerPoint presentations, speaking notes that were full of industry jargon, double talk and difficult to use. But this is exactly where Mr. Donald found himself this morning.

I also find it very strange that Stein Kruse had no visible role in today's announcement.

Something is clearly wrong at Carnival Corporation.

Huh? Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but the announcement this morning was for HAL not Carnival and it was Orlando Ashford (President of HAL) doing the announcements not Mr. Arnold (CEO of Carnival and plc, HAL's parent company). :confused:

Huh? Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but the announcement this morning was for HAL not Carnival and it was Orlando Ashford (President of HAL) doing the announcements not Mr. Arnold (CEO of Carnival and plc, HAL's parent company). :confused:

This post didn't make sense to me either and I was under the impression the poster was confusing the 2 gentlemen but I'm not sure if I was missing something so I "let it be"

Not a big fan of the new logo. They modernized the graphic, but picked a typeface that's evocative of the old one, only weaker. My first thought upon seeing the new logo was, "Oh no! The cruise ship ran over the sailing ship." My second thought was, "After crushing the sailing ship and the history it represents, the new logo got a little wavy and broke out of the oval." (How much would you like to bet that the designers used the term "break out" or "breaking with the past" when they pitched the new design?)

I'm going to (mildly) disagree. I'm not totally thrilled with the primary typeface on either logo; it's stodgy. I think they were going for "classic" and ended up with "boring." But I do think the new logotype is an improvement, in that it will reproduce better without the thin strokes disappearing. The overall weight is reduced, but by using a more conventional width and less stroke variation, readability when printed small and/or at a distance will go up. I would have gone with something with just a touch of calligraphic flair, but in the end this is perfectly serviceable, and the fact that it's a classic serif definitely sends the message, "we are your father's cruise line."

The actual logo image is a huge improvement over the old one, IMO. Having that detailed sailing ship silhouette knocked out in white just turns into a random blob at small sizes. Waaaaaaaaay too busy. The new one will look much better on letterhead and web pages.

Using a geometric sans for the motto is the main new design element, and it's probably designed to bring in a bit of hipness to help balance the stodgy. Look at any of their other logos like "Anniversary Sale" "Explore 4" or "Sip Savor Sail." All of them are modern and hip, with primarily geometric faces. Adding a geometric type element to the new logo really helps bridge that gap.

I think the message they're trying to send with the new logo is, "We're a classic cruise line, but looking toward the future." Now, can they deliver on the "looking toward the future" part of that implicit promise? Time will tell.

Edited by Donny-Joe

This post didn't make sense to me either and I was under the impression the poster was confusing the 2 gentlemen but I'm not sure if I was missing something so I "let it be"

Well, the two gentlemen really don't look that much alike.... :)

Arnold.jpg.cc12ae93889bf6511a194527374a051c.jpg

Orlando.jpg.07615b1269c55a3474a16d2ddd97c749.jpg

I'm going to (mildly) disagree. I'm not totally thrilled with the primary typeface on either logo; it's stodgy. I think they were going for "classic" and ended up with "boring." But I do think the new logotype is an improvement, in that it will reproduce better without the thin strokes disappearing. The overall weight is reduced, but by using a more conventional width and less stroke variation, readability when printed small and/or at a distance will go up. I would have gone with something with just a touch of calligraphic flair, but in the end this is perfectly serviceable, and the fact that it's a classic serif definitely sends the message, "we are your father's cruise line."

The actual logo image is a huge improvement over the old one, IMO. Having that detailed sailing ship silhouette knocked out in white just turns into a random blob at small sizes. Waaaaaaaaay too busy. The new one will look much better on letterhead and web pages.

Using a geometric sans for the motto is the main new design element, and it's probably designed to bring in a bit of hipness to help balance the stodgy. Look at any of their other logos like "Anniversary Sale" "Explore 4" or "Sip Savor Sail." All of them are modern and hip, with primarily geometric faces. Adding a geometric type element to the new logo really helps bridge that gap.

I think the message they're trying to send with the new logo is, "We're a classic cruise line, but looking toward the future." Now, can they deliver on the "looking toward the future" part of that implicit promise? Time will tell.

Excellent points. I might not be swayed off my stodgy old point of view, but your points are excellent. I'd have loved to see the side by sides, but that's not really my place.

There is definitely enough to connect the old and new fonts. It's entirely possible that I have an anti slab /geometric bias. :) Thanks again for the explanation.

I think you're mistaken. Signature Suites do have chairs. Like InTheWASide said, the rooms are very similar. This was my signature Suite on Nieuw Amsterdam:

ry%3D480

Great analysis. Thank you

+1 New logo is a big improvement and will save on cost down the road to boot. It's a good change. I don't mind the typeface too much, though I would've preferred Railway or even Utopia Semibold.

I think you're mistaken. Signature Suites do have chairs. Like InTheWASide said, the rooms are very similar. This was my signature Suite on Nieuw Amsterdam:

ry%3D480

One other thing I realized:

A complaint about rooms in recent years has been

"the tvs are so large it takes away counter space"

"The water fountain in the spa room takes away counter space"

Well there you go. Tv is wall mounted. Enjoy your extra counter space

+1 New logo is a big improvement and will save on cost down the road to boot. It's a good change. I don't mind the typeface too much, though I would've preferred Railway or even Utopia Semibold.

I think the logo looks great too. And Savor the Journey has a great sound to it and MAKES SENSE. It also speaks to cuisine and the destinations but in a way that says premium cruise line. Carnival would possibly, for instance, get the same across with "good food. Fun. Nice stops"

I think the logo looks great too. And Savor the Journey has a great sound to it and MAKES SENSE. It also speaks to cuisine and the destinations but in a way that says premium cruise line. Carnival would possibly, for instance, get the same across with "good food. Fun. Nice stops"

I smell a thread for "Make HAL's new slogan the slogan for all major cruiselines".

For instance, Norweigen's Savor the Journey would be "Enjoy paying extra for everything!". Crystal's would be, "You own the Journey." RCCL's, "REI and Ruby Tuesday all in one!". :)