HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

I wonder what the cost of switching off the current HAL Logo with this new design on all the ship's funnels will cost? How about all the flags, the flatware, the dinner service, all advertising, all HAL materials on which the logo is prominent? I wonder if those dollars couldn't be better spent by upping the number of dining stewards, bar servers etc?

What is the benefit to HAL by eliminating a very historic and meaningful Logo? When there have been so many cutbacks, this doesn't seem (to me) a good use of corporate dollars.

JMO..... (and my constitutionally protected right to it. :D)

[/b]

I can't believe they'd spend the money on all new flatware and dinnerware, at least I hope not. I think the new logo will be on the website, the logo items for sale onboard, any paperwork, the stationary in the room, stuff that's easily replaced as it's used.

I like the existing logo with the nod to the line's history. (But then, I love Cunard, where they're spending a whole year celebrating being 175 years old) I can't believe that 30 focus groups or some such thing came up with the same background ship (which doesn't look modern), minus the Half Moon. Got a piece of stationary from a recent cruise? Grab a blue felt-tip and color over the Half Moon and you've got the new logo. (Slap some blue paint on the funnel and the ship is up-to-date.)

Well - was out and missed all of the hoopla. From the comments here it appears that nothing of significance has changed. That is fine with us as we like the HAL product pretty much as it is. For those who would like a more modern approach, there ARE other options.

I wonder what the cost of switching off the current HAL Logo with this new design on all the ship's funnels will cost? How about all the flags, the flatware, the dinner service, all advertising, all HAL materials on which the logo is prominent? I wonder if those dollars couldn't be better spent by upping the number of dining stewards, bar servers etc?

What is the benefit to HAL by eliminating a very historic and meaningful Logo? When there have been so many cutbacks, this doesn't seem (to me) a good use of corporate dollars.

HAL's logo has changed a lot in the past 40 years, there is nothing historic about the current iteration. Nothing wrong with updating a brand at all. it's needed and good to do when the brand gets tired. This isn't a drastic change by any measure anyway, it's just a cleaning up and resharpening.

I assume the cost will be negligible on the rebrand. When I do rebrands we only swap the logos when it's time to repaint or reprint or remanufacture items. The change isn't drastic enough to warrant an immediate overhaul. Hell I'd bet 90 percent of the public couldn't tell it was even new, and I bet 98 percent of the public couldn't sketch the current HAL logo if they were forced.

I agree 100%. More staff would be a better way to spend the $$.

I can't believe they'd spend the money on all new flatware and dinnerware, at least I hope not. I think the new logo will be on the website, the logo items for sale onboard, any paperwork, the stationary in the room, stuff that's easily replaced as it's used.

I like the existing logo with the nod to the line's history. (But then, I love Cunard, where they're spending a whole year celebrating being 175 years old) I can't believe that 30 focus groups or some such thing came up with the same background ship (which doesn't look modern), minus the Half Moon. Got a piece of stationary from a recent cruise? Grab a blue felt-tip and color over the Half Moon and you've got the new logo. (Slap some blue paint on the funnel and the ship is up-to-date.)

I'm no expert but I don't think those logos on the ships' funnels are merely painted on. I think it is far more complicated than a can of paint.

Someone/anyone know?

Not a big fan of the new logo. They modernized the graphic, but picked a typeface that's evocative of the old one, only weaker. My first thought upon seeing the new logo was, "Oh no! The cruise ship ran over the sailing ship." My second thought was, "After crushing the sailing ship and the history it represents, the new logo got a little wavy and broke out of the oval." (How much would you like to bet that the designers used the term "break out" or "breaking with the past" when they pitched the new design?)

The new logo is much improved over the current one. It's simpler, cleaner, more elegant. That's a good addition (and I'm a professional designer).

A question.

What does the old logo actually respresent?

Can you date when it was first used?

Which artist designed it?

Can you names the two ships shown on the logo?

A complete short summary (maybe that's an oxymoron) would be great, but if not, I'm particularly interested in the announced entertainment changes. Could someone please elaborate?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I tried clicking a link to the video announcement on HAL's Facebook page but I got an error message telling me that the video couldn't be played on my device (which is a desktop computer). I guess that shouldn't have surprised me!

Edited by elycelynne

The only "hard product" change I saw was refurbishing the suites on Sig, Vista, and R Class to pretty much look like Celebrity Suites are like now. Hitch is it's going to take a few years due to dry dock schedules.

Again, Celebrity has nice suites, butler service, and in top tiers unlimited anywhere dining, and premium beverage package included.

Neptune Suites are pretty much the same as they have been since Carnival bought HAL and built Statendam. To me it's too little too late.

In September on Westerdam in Alaska one of the suite benefits- priority tendering did not exist. They announced tenders were running and head to A deck- it was a free for all. The announcement did say something about waiting in Queens Lounge to wait for crowds to thin out "if you prefer".

The other suite "enhancements" bring out the skeptic in me:

Free Mimosa with in suite breakfast. Fine if I am in warm weather and want to eat outside- not so great in winter climate or Alaska. Table by the sofa is much to small and many don't rise above couch height. Skeptic in me says more will order in suite to get the free mimosa and attendance in PG will drop so they can eliminate PG breakfast for suites. Does it really take until January to have a free Mimosa? I guess we will save them money as we always eat in PG

Nespresso machine in suite. I have no problem with the machine in the NL. Are they hoping to eliminate the machine there when they see less usage?

Nicer bathrobes. Many hotels we stay in have much nicer bathrobes in all rooms now (and always have).

Bose sound Dock- Fine but very likely we would never use it. Have never used one of the on board DVD players. I've seen them in many hotels and still haven't used one.

All nice offers however really not anything different than what most nice hotels have offered for a long time.

I read that they feel that those with high star levels won't want to start over with another line. We will be 4 star after our next cruise and would have no problem starting over with a new line. Our bottom line is value versus what we pay- we have no problem paying for the best but expect the same in return. The first time another major starts quietly matching loyalty status (likely thru top producing agencies) HAL will be scrambling and asking "what happened".

Edited by frankc98376

A complete short summary (maybe that's an oxymoron) would be great, but if not, I'm particularly interested in the announced entertainment changes. Could someone please elaborate?

Thanks!

From what I heard was mostly about Koningsdam and next Pinnacle. Sounded like pieces of it would be rolled out to other ships but I don't recall any specifics being given. Appears BB King show is here to stay though.

Edited by frankc98376

Wasn't home to see the presentation but from reading the posts it sounds like the changes were not real exciting. The good news is they aren't likely to set off a firestorm of protests here on Cruise Critic like a change in smoking, tipping, wine policy, etc.,etc. would do.:D

Absolutely! Spot on.

This presentation illustrated very well why I NEVER clap or applaud when a speaker is first introduced at the start of a presentation. I wait until I have heard what they have to say and then make a judgement. In this case, I was proven right over and over again ;)

I read that they feel that those with high star levels won't want to start over with another line. We will be 4 star after our next cruise and would have no problem starting over with a new line. Our bottom line is value versus what we pay- we have no problem paying for the best but expect the same in return. The first time another major starts quietly matching loyalty status (likely thru top producing agencies) HAL will be scrambling and asking "what happened".

Frank

We are in pretty much the same boat, 4 Star after the currently scheduled cruises. We always sail Neptune Suites as well. I am very seriously questioning whether my loyalty and spend is not being matched to what is available on the market. As LAFFNVEGAS has told us several times the Haven on NCL and other equivalents on other lines look pretty nice and for what you get pretty reasonable. For all the 'anti-class' sentiment sometimes expressed there remain a lot of travelers like us, who when given the opportunity and value will travel first (or at least business) class.

I will be looking around. If I become aware of a marketing program that lets us try something like the Haven with consideration of our status on HAL I will definitely give it a try. Yes I know we pay for it....

I was hoping for something to keep HAL in the mid-level of cruise lines, but it appears that is not to be.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

A question.

No sir, I cannot. But I bet a dollar you were/are involved and know it's origin more than anyone alive. ;)

I realize that this is a bold prediction: I think that after today's dismal performance that we will see Arnold Donald leave Carnival Corporation within 12 to 18 months.

The mis-steps with today's announcement should simply have not happened, especially to the CEO of the Corp. Mr. Donald is surrounded by trusted advisors whose job is to ensure that this type of incident does not happen. But it did.

A CEO should never find themselves at the centre of a presentation that was late starting, marred by technical glitches, amateurish PowerPoint presentations, speaking notes that were full of industry jargon, double talk and difficult to use. But this is exactly where Mr. Donald found himself this morning.

I also find it very strange that Stein Kruse had no visible role in today's announcement.

Something is clearly wrong at Carnival Corporation.

A question.

The history of Dutch sailing and exploration

It was the logo that followed the "3 Waves" so I believe it was early-mid 80's?

That I'm not aware of.

Nieuw Amsterdam II and Henry Hudson's Half Moon (Halve Moen)

I'm not sppunk but there you go. My answers, below your questions