Latitudes meal and a la carte

KeithJenner

I am not assuming anything. The OP has already said he ordered both soup and the escargot appetizer and was charged for the soup. I stand by my statement that this is incredibly chintzy.
What you are assuming is that he would have been charged for the soup even if he hadn't ordered the escargots, because the voucher doesn't cover soup. What I am assuming is that either the soup or the escargots would have been fully covered, but not both. The OP himself seems to believe this second version, and he was pleased that they chose to charge him for the less expensive starter (the soup). You are suggesting that they would have charged him for the soup no matter what.

Both interpretations are compatible with the OP's experience, which is why I said we need to hear from more Platinum members to know for sure.

Just the Escape for now...right??? But no matter....this "you must now pick and choose" policy just adds a bit of discomfort to the total cruise experience. As said, a comped meal (voucher) should be without restrictions. Some persons will chow down heavily, some lighter eaters however just pick and choose. It's just a small thing.....but like flying on an airline now and all their many "little" extra charges.....this is one extra cruise little thing that adds to mental discomfort, no matter how slight. For us, a cruise is about total escape from concerns and considerations....except the fun ones.

Edited by roger001

I said, either here or a different thread, I think the Platinum voucher will just move to a flat dollar amount. I also believe they will not allow it to cover gratuity if that becomes the case.
People who have a specialty dining credit perk as part of the Freestyle Choice promotion are currently allowed to use it for the 18% service charge. So I believe the opposite, insofar as it makes any sense to hold beliefs about this hypothetical future Platinum voucher.

What you are assuming is that he would have been charged for the soup even if he hadn't ordered the escargots, because the voucher doesn't cover soup. What I am assuming is that either the soup or the escargots would have been fully covered, but not both. The OP himself seems to believe this second version, and he was pleased that they chose to charge him for the less expensive starter (the soup). You are suggesting that they would have charged him for the soup no matter what.

Both interpretations are compatible with the OP's experience, which is why I said we need to hear from more Platinum members to know for sure.

No, I think it is pretty clear that if he had ordered "one" item from the Appetizer/Soup/Salad section he would not have been charged. I was not aware that this venue lumped everything except main entrees and desserts into one category. It's a pretty odd choice by NCL, IMO, to list soup and salad as an "appetizer". ( Unless of course they are going to restrict you to only one;) ). And pretty darn chintzy as well, to not allow you to have an appetizer and then a salad before your main entree. You have to choose one or the other or pony up a few extra bucks. That is my point. It is just cheap. A serving of soup or salad probably cost NCL a few cents. Not creating quite the same warm fuzzy feeling that a truly comped meal does.

People who have a specialty dining credit perk as part of the Freestyle Choice promotion are currently allowed to use it for the 18% service charge. So I believe the opposite, insofar as it makes any sense to hold beliefs about this hypothetical future Platinum voucher.

It depends when someone booked the Freestyle Choice promo. At one time the offer included gratuity, then switched to being charged a gratuity on the package price. I'm not saying you don't make a point here, I'm just saying that when comparing two similar, but not identical, things with NCL lately we are seeing that they handle things differently. So I would not be surprised to see the platinum perk handled differently. If they did go to a fixed credit amount but did allow it to be used for the service charge as well, all the better for Platinums.

It's the same in the MDR. They used to list appetizers, salads, and soups in separate categories, which encouraged people to order one of each. Now they put them all in one section, hoping that most people will just order one starter item before their main dish. You can call it chintzy, you can call it avoiding waste, or it can be both at the same time. Maybe it's distasteful for NCL to try to save a buck, maybe it's also distasteful for people to order 5 courses that they know they're not going to finish just because there's no extra charge and because that's what cruising is all about.

It depends when someone booked the Freestyle Choice promo. At one time the offer included gratuity, then switched to being charged a gratuity on the package price.
I'm not talking about the packages (UDP, then SDP). I'm talking about the $50 or however much dining credit per cabin that they have been offering here and there the last few months (for the cheaper stateroom categories that didn't qualify for a package). For example, in October the terms said:
Dining Credit:

$50 dining credit per stateroom.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on specialty dining once on board.

Dining credit can be used towards specialty dining gratuities.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

It's the same in the MDR. They used to list appetizers, salads, and soups in separate categories, which encouraged people to order one of each. Now they put them all in one section, hoping that most people will just order one starter item before their main dish. You can call it chintzy, you can call it avoiding waste, or it can be both at the same time. Maybe it's distasteful for NCL to try to save a buck, maybe it's also distasteful for people to order 5 courses that they know they're not going to finish just because there's no extra charge and because that's what cruising is all about.
I don't think those in the MDR that are going to order three appetizers and a salad and a couple of entrees and a few desserts are not going to change how they order just because it is written differently nor do I think NCL thinks they will only order one item from each category listed. It is just like when a buffet puts out smaller plates, those that want to overindulge, will just take more than one plate or go back a number of times. I guess it is because people feel that if it is free (or part of their cruise fare) they are going to get their money's worth, because I would doubt if someone was going to a land restaurant and having to pay for it, they would order the same way.

Just to clarify, when I ordered , the server was very clear that the reason I was going to be charged was because I had ordered two starters. If I had just ordered the soup (as one member of our party did) then I wouldn't have been charged anything (as she wasn't).

I'm not talking about the packages (UDP, then SDP). I'm talking about the $50 or however much dining credit per cabin that they have been offering here and there the last few months (for the cheaper stateroom categories that didn't qualify for a package). For example, in October the terms said:

Thank you for clarifying. That is a much closer comparison. Hopefully that is how it would be handled.

Just to clarify, when I ordered , the server was very clear that the reason I was going to be charged was because I had ordered two starters. If I had just ordered the soup (as one member of our party did) then I wouldn't have been charged anything (as she wasn't).

It was nice of the waiter to tell you upfront about the extra charge, but it still cheapens the Platinum reward. Not talking about being a glutton here, but I think most people when going out for dinner at a nice restaurant will perhaps order an appy and then soup or salad before the main entree. Being told you can have only one and will be charged for the other is a little much.

Sounds like the Seinfield episode "No soup for you!!!".

Le Bistro may not look like a diner, but for Platinums it is providing more of a "diner" experience.

So, I suppose even if I skip the appetizers and want a soup for my "starter" followed by a salad and then the main, I will be charged for both the soup and salad since apparently the reward does not cover that section of the menu at all.

This seems incredibly chintzy to me.

I think you are assuming something that probably isn't the case. I am sure if you want soup instead of an appitizer or a salad instead you can get it as part of the package. Let's wait and see what happens before we just to conclusions.

Grego45, why would you say this sounds like a diner? All the has changed is the extra charge for more of this or that. I certainly would not consider LeBistro anything resembling a dinner. Can we say O'Sheehans, the on board diner?

I was referring to the number of courses. If we go out for a quick meal at a diner type place we'll get 2 or 3 courses. Where as if we go out to a nice restaurant we'll stretch out the evening with an extra course or 2.

I realize it is still a white table cloth restaurant. And we will still dine there and enjoy. Hopefully we'll be able to switch out dessert for a soup or salad.

I think you are assuming something that probably isn't the case. I am sure if you want soup instead of an appitizer or a salad instead you can get it as part of the package. Let's wait and see what happens before we just to conclusions.

The menu in Le Bistro is set up so that soups, salads and appetizers are all listed under one "starter" or "appetizer" heading. The certificate now reads that you can order one "starter" and one main and one dessert. So if I want an appetizer and a salad, I pay for one. If I want no appy but soup and salad, I pay for one. This is why the OP had to pay for his soup. He ordered 2 things from the "starter" section.

So f I want appy, soup and salad, I will pay for two items.

Edited by punkincc

I sail in 2.5 weeks. If the certificate is no longer valid in Moderno, that will be a big shift in expectation. While my husband is not sailing with me this time, I'm going to break the news to him, and he is going to be very unhappy and looking less forward to any future Norwegian cruise.

If the certificate is no longer valid in Moderno, that will be a big shift in expectation.
As far as I know, the Platinum perk has always been advertised as dinner for two at Le Bistro, with the small print saying it could also be redeemed at the Italian or Asian restaurants. Then the Asian restaurant went complimentary, and then they introduced à la carte dining, and so the fine print now says:
Le Bistro benefit can also be used at our Italian restaurant. For ships offering an a la carte menu at Le Bistro or our Italian restaurant, benefit entitles guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of their choice.

I know that many ships have also included Moderno, but this has never been the stated Latitudes policy (again, as far as I remember). You can ask on board if you really don't want to go to Le Bistro or La Cucina, but with à la carte they have a real incentive for steering you into those restaurants (because you could easily end up ordering more than the 3 free courses and they get to charge you extra).

Three courses - one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert

I'm not a big dessert lover. I usually order an appetizer and a salad, then my entrée. Hoping they they'll let me do that without a fee. Its' still 3 courses. But knowing how they apply the rules, somehow I think the staff will be confused by the request.

I sail in 2.5 weeks. If the certificate is no longer valid in Moderno, that will be a big shift in expectation. While my husband is not sailing with me this time, I'm going to break the news to him, and he is going to be very unhappy and looking less forward to any future Norwegian cruise.

We were on the Jewel a few weeks ago: the certificates did not mention Modernos but we asked and yes, there was no problem using it for Modernos. Just check with the guest services or the restaurant. I asked at the restaurant reservation desk, they said as long as we had our platinum certificate it was fine. Hawkey is correct. You generally will not see Modernos on the certificate.

Edited by newmexicoNita