Lanai cabins - pros and cons

Kris74

Pro..easy access to the outside and not paying balcony prices! There shouldn't be much noise from carpeted restaurants. No, the windows have a mirror coating...although I would close the curtains at night, when the lights are on....you can't see outside anyway at night!

Look at the deck plans for which cabins sleep 3 or more....

We've never had a lanai, but we've had Outsides on the Lower Promenade on all four S-class ships and noise never bothered us ... except early in the morning when the crew hits the windows with a hose to wash them! On the Amsterdam we were on the LP under the galley, and there we had a lot of heavy carts rumbling above us all night.

People can not see in the daytime, and it is very difficult at night.

The Veendam has 10 triple lanais all in a block (558 to 575), the Maasdam has 14 spread along the deck, and the Rotterdam doesn't have any triple lanais as far as I can see.

Here is another recent thread that asked the same question and got replies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2273325

Edited by jtl513

Kris,

We had a cabin on the promenade deck before the lanai cabins were added.

I am a light sleeper and found the room to be noisy at times. You can hear the footsteps and conversations of people on the promenade (and it is surprising how late and how very early some people are out there).

The wooden lounge chairs are also stacked and moved late at night and moved back out around 5 - 6 AM in the morning. Again noisy.

If you are by the door leading out onto deck, they will slam every time someone goes in or out.

I would not recommend a cabin on this deck for a light sleeper.

I've stayed in them plenty, most times before the lanai doors were added - but basically they are the same rooms with new access to the promenade.

I was never bothered by noise. I did need to remember to always close the drapes to the window before it got dark, and you need to make sure it is completely closed because anything inside is visible once it is dark out. During the day you cant see in, even if you were to stand outside the window and put your head right up to it. And trust me, I've seen people do this!

Deck access or not, I like the location. My husband and I love to walk, and to be able to go right outside is a big plus for us. Even before the lanai doors, you're never too far from a short walk down the hall to exterior doors. I particularly like those close to the atrium. That part of the ship is quiet, unless maybe a show is just letting out. From there, an easy walk up the atrium steps puts you central to lots of things.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

I've stayed in them plenty, most times before the lanai doors were added - but basically they are the same rooms with new access to the promenade.

I was never bothered by noise. I did need to remember to always close the drapes to the window before it got dark, and you need to make sure it is completely closed because anything inside is visible once it is dark out. During the day you cant see in, even if you were to stand outside the window and put your head right up to it. And trust me, I've seen people do this!

Deck access or not, I like the location. My husband and I love to walk, and to be able to go right outside is a big plus for us. Even before the lanai doors, you're never too far from a short walk down the hall to exterior doors. I particularly like those close to the atrium. That part of the ship is quiet, unless maybe a show is just letting out. From there, an easy walk up the atrium steps puts you central to lots of things.

Thanks for the added info .. and yes, we are booked in a lanai stateroom very near the atrium

... stand outside the window and put your head right up to it. And trust me, I've seen people do this!

You may have seen me (and others) testing our own windows. From inside any of our five LP cabins I have never seen any strangers making an effort to see in.

We booked a Lanai a few years ago on the Maasdam, and while our fellow Lanai neighbors on both sides of us were very nice, the "reserved" loungers are quite close together with your neighbors' loungers. If you like to be social whenever you're out in your lounger, it would probably be a good fit for you but if you're looking for more privacy, a balcony is a better choice.

The other issue with the reserved Lanai cabin loungers is that sometimes other passengers don't notice that they are reserved. We stepped out of our cabin to use ours and found a sleeping woman in one of ours. So it can be a bit awkward dealing with those situations.

Also, there is constant foot traffic going by you on the promenade deck - lots of walkers all day long doing lap after lap. Not conducive to reading nor relaxing - at least not for us.

The Lanai cabins are smaller than those with a balcony and there is no fridge, if that is important to you. (I understand you can rent one, however.)

We're booked on the Maasdam again next month and chose a balcony this time.

You may have seen me (and others) testing our own windows. From inside any of our five LP cabins I have never seen any strangers making an effort to see in.

Really?.....how would you know what I saw? Just because you didn't see something on your 5 cruises does that mean it never happened?

Edited by WeLoveCruising

We were offered an upsell to a lanai cabin this summer on the Veendam . In fact it was a handicapped cabin . We loved it . The cabin was huge and well located . We were not bothered by noise and the windows were very well tinted . In daylight you can not see in . At night the drapes are useful . Perhaps because it was an accessible cabin (or perhaps not) the sliding doors close very slowly . You have 2 lounge chairs reserved for your use just outside each cabin . I have joked that our "balcony" was 5 acres large .:)

Really?.....how would you know what I saw? Just because you didn't see something on your 5 cruises does that mean it never happened?
What part of "may" don't you understand? And I've been in 5 LP cabins, not on 5 cruises.

What part of "may" don't you understand? And I've been in 5 LP cabins, not on 5 cruises.

The part where you question the validity of what I saw. Isn't that what your post meant, to tell me what you assume I "may" have seen instead of what I said I saw?

My point was unless you were there in my cabin how would you know? There is a difference in posting about your own experience, vs incorrectly assuming about some else's. Surely things have happened on the hundreds of cruises, other than your five in those types of cabins, that you didn't see. That doesn't make it any less valid to someone who did.

The OP asked a good question, and I answered it to the best of my ability. Other than that, engaging you here on is t something I'll choose to continue

The part where you question the validity of what I saw.
I did not question the validity of what you saw. I stated two things: (1) You may have seen me and others looking into our own cabins. (2) I have never seen anyone else trying to see into my cabin.

You said:

... even if you were to stand outside the window and put your head right up to it. And trust me, I've seen people do this!
You did not say you saw this from inside your cabin, and I misinterpreted it to mean you were out on the promenade. Sorry about the misunderstanding. :o

Wondering about when you exit your cabin onto the promenade. Can you lock the door with your room key or what?
We were given a separate key card just for opening and closing the sliding door and had to insist in order to get a card for each of us . I was warned that there was a fee if the cards were not returned . This balcony card was plain white .

We were given a separate key card just for opening and closing the sliding door and had to insist in order to get a card for each of us . I was warned that there was a fee if the cards were not returned . This balcony card was plain white .

We also had a wheel chair accessible lanai on Veedam in May. Only accessible cabins had the keypads for the sliding door. The doors closed slowly to allow a wheel chair or scooter user (like DH) to use it independently. When closed, they locked. The regular lanai sliding doors were manually opened. Not sure how they locked.

We wished the door into the hall was automatic, but it is an older ship

Thanks....can anyone clarify how the manually opened doors get locked?

The sliding doors are "spring loaded" and need some force to slide open. As soon as they complete closed again the magnetic locking mechanism will engage. By either holding the keycard in front of the reader outside or pressing the button inside, you can unlock and pull the door open again.

The sliding doors are "spring loaded" and need some force to slide open. As soon as they complete closed again the magnetic locking mechanism will engage. By either holding the keycard in front of the reader outside or pressing the button inside, you can unlock and pull the door open again.

OK, that makes sense.

Thanks to you and others who responded to my question.