Some practical questions

CruisingCleo

DH and myself are booked on the Riviera for the Caribbean Escapade, 2-22 December.

This forum has been an incredible source of information for us and we are really looking forward to our first ever cruise and getting more excited every day.

We still have a few practical questions and we hope someone on the forum will be able to answer them.

1. How many European 220 volt electrical outlets are there in a B4 cabin? And where are they located?

2. Are there any washcloths in the bathroom of the cabin or only towels?

3. Which type of books can you find in the library? Non-fiction, fiction, scientific, romance, travelbooks, travel stories?

4. This one is for the ladies: I understood it can be quite cold in the restaurants in the evening. Do you advise to wear closed toe shoes or can I wear open toed shoes?

That is it for now, but I will probably have some more in the upcoming weeks.

Thank you for your assistance,

Kind regards,

Mirjam

Answers to Questions 2 and 4:

Washcloths always available in the bathroom and towels are in abundance

I am nearly always in dressy sandals during the evening and have never felt chilly. But I do take a sweater or shawl to most dining venues just in case the A/C is blowing nearby.

Have to second a shawl or sweater to the specialty restaurants!

There are all types of books in the library, including magazines that previous travelers (like me) have left instead of taking them home.

There aren't any electrical outlets in the bathroom except for one that is only to be used for electric razors. There are several outlets at the desk/vanity.

I think there should be a razor/elec toothbrush socket in the Penthouse bathroom, and there probably is, but I could not find it!!!!! I didn't ask though. :(

Regarding chilly public rooms....... I do feel the cold, but have never had cold feet whilst dining or in the theatre or anywhere else. The air con can be noticeable sometimes. J

Oceania keeps all of the newest books on every subject in their library..I am a fiction reader and the first place I go when I board is the library..I grab 2 books and get the ones I want..I come with a list of authors I like and look for them ..Books are alphabetical order by author..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I've rarely been cold anywhere (inside, anyway!) on any O cruise I've taken. However, I found a lightweight cotton sweater/shirt that I take on cruises just in case. I also have a little very lighweight dressy black women's shirt I take. I make sure to take at least one thing for cold weather and one thing for warm weather, even if I don't expect to use those things on the cruise. Also, since I like to go out on deck when the ship's moving along pretty fast, I take a good jacket, and a big hairband to keep my hair from flying around in the wind.

I agree that the library is quite good, although there are normally a few travel book hogs on board each cruise. I always go looking for books on the destination I'm cruising to, and almost always find NONE there. If I go back the night before the cruise, there are at least 4 or 5. Wish the hogs would at least read what they want, take some notes, and return the books so the others can read them!

Don't remember if B's are Concierge level or not, but if so, there are also some magazines in the Concierge Lounge on concierge level decks.

Oceania libraries have extensive book collections and I always find current best sellers and recently published books, lots of current bios, current events and fiction. They generally have multiple copies. I read voraciously on board and I'm in the library a couple times a day checking for returned books sitting on tables not yet re shelved.

Roothy is correct on destination books, people grab and hoard them first thing.

A comment about the electrical outlets ---

Our gadgets work on US current and usually there are two US and two European plugs at the desk. We always take one of our plugin converters so that gives us one extra plug. I've heard of folks taking power strips but we've never had to do that.

I agree that the library is quite good, although there are normally a few travel book hogs on board each cruise. I always go looking for books on the destination I'm cruising to, and almost always find NONE there. If I go back the night before the cruise, there are at least 4 or 5. Wish the hogs would at least read what they want, take some notes, and return the books so the others can read them!

Are these travel books not meant and designated so to be read in the library only? I guess that this means nothing to some selfish people - me, me, me. :(

Are these travel books not meant and designated so to be read in the library only? I guess that this means nothing to some selfish people - me, me, me. :(

While I'm rarely in the library and usually study up on the areas we are going to in advance, I didn't know this was a rule concerning travel books. Perhaps it's common courtesy or a standard library policy.

I'm not saying this to be contrary, just wondering if it's posted somewhere in the library or in the book itself. Otherwise people might not know any better.

There is definitely one European outlet (240V) in every stateroom. I don't recall if there are more. If most of your gadgets require 240V, I'd definitely bring a Euro power strip.

There is a 120V outlet in the bathroom for razors, but it is not polarized -- in other words, if your plug has one side larger, it will not fit in the bathroom outlet. It's very small, and Oceania usually has a flat, glowing night light plugged into it.

Category B is not concierge, so has no access to the concierge lounge.

Re the library and the absence of travel books covering your destination even early on in the cruise, I always assumed that the early birds got the worm. I never heard of a rule (even a "do unto others" kind of rule) that said ONLY read in the library. And maybe the books you wanted were already nabbed by people who were also on the leg before your cruise ...

At any rate, I, too, have never had any luck in finding a book I needed. In my case, I would just want to look at it, not memorize it.

Usually I don't really need anything there because I've done a lot of photocopying or printing from websites before we ever left home.

Mura

Re the library and the absence of travel books covering your destination even early on in the cruise, I always assumed that the early birds got the worm. I never heard of a rule (even a "do unto others" kind of rule) that said ONLY read in the library. And maybe the books you wanted were already nabbed by people who were also on the leg before your cruise ...

At any rate, I, too, have never had any luck in finding a book I needed. In my case, I would just want to look at it, not memorize it.

Usually I don't really need anything there because I've done a lot of photocopying or printing from websites before we ever left home.

Mura

I agree, the library is first come first served as it should be. I never expect destination books to be there. The concierge can help with any last minute DIY questions but I usually reference my notes. We usually carry our own Rick Steve's book or podcast.

Maybe I am confusing O library with other cruise lines' libraries.

I know for a fact that in some libraries that rule is clearly stated and those books are in a separate section.

I will be on the Marina shortly and will check the library.

PS If it is not the rule on Oceania, it should be, IMO. These type of books are meant to be shared with everyone on the cruise, unlike fiction/non fiction or exchange books, which are and should be on first come basis.

Ditto for Atlases & Encylopedias to be used in the library only. This to me seems to be an issue of common sense and courtesy, if not rules. If you want a travel book all to yourself, bring one.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

all so much for your replies. We will definitely have to pack a European power strip as we will bring way too much electronical gadgets with us., but cannot live without them anymore.... :D

I'm looking forward to browse in the library. We probably won't need more information on our destination, but I love thrillers and detectives, so hope there will be some books in that genre.

Thanks again, Mirjam.

I'm looking forward to browse in the library. We probably won't need more information on our destination, but I love thrillers and detectives, so hope there will be some books in that genre.

Thanks again, Mirjam.

Go there early (and often) for best selection.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Maybe I am confusing O library with other cruise lines' libraries.

I know for a fact that in some libraries that rule is clearly stated and those books are in a separate section.

I will be on the Marina shortly and will check the library.

PS If it is not the rule on Oceania, it should be, IMO. These type of books are meant to be shared with everyone on the cruise, unlike fiction/non fiction or exchange books, which are and should be on first come basis.

Ditto for Atlases & Encylopedias to be used in the library only. This to me seems to be an issue of common sense and courtesy, if not rules. If you want a travel book all to yourself, bring one.

JMO

No, you're right about the policy. There isnt one. Not sure there should be one, though, despite my wish that people would borrow the travel books for only a short period of time. At least Oceania has a lot of books. I remember checking out Celebrity's 2 story library after cruising on Oceania and finding only about 30 books. Guess they figure everyone uses Kindle and ipads so why bother.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

No, you're right about the policy. There isnt one. Not sure there should be one, though, despite my wish that people would borrow the travel books for only a short period of time. At least Oceania has a lot of books. I remember checking out Celebrity's 2 story library after cruising on Oceania and finding only about 30 books. Guess they figure everyone uses Kindle and ipads so why bother.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I believe the library on Celebrity is more for show than an actual resource.