Who Says Royal Caribbean Has No Heart?

jewopaho

We were originally scheduled to be on the November 1st Navigator sailing out of Galveston, but ...

Our home took on a little water during yet another torrential Houston rainstorm on October 30th/31st. While the damage isn't all that severe, the possibility of mold growth caused us to bring in a remediation firm and file a claim with our insurance company. There was no way we could have left our home.

But the good news is that my travel agent and Royal Caribbean combined efforts to apply the total cost toward another cruise ... so we'll be on the Liberty's 2/21 sailing.

Yes, we did have insurance, and would likely have been covered under the "trip interruption" clause ... but this was so much easier, and we would have booked another cruise anyway.

Overall we're grateful ... it could have been substantially worse, both in terms of damage to our home and recouping our losses from our canceled cruise.

Al

Had you not had insurance I think your subject line would have read much different. You give just another reason why everyone should purchase insurance! Glad it worked out for you!

What I get from reading they did not use their insurance. Royal let them switch their reservation to another cruise so looks like the title would be the same if they did not have insurance.

So sorry to hear you had water issues with latest rain. We are native Texans and lived in Houston area many years, but now are in Hill Country. We had some much needed rain hitting us a day before you, but were not in any flooding as some in Austin and Blanco were again.

Glad you worked it out with RCCL. I noted we will be on the same Liberty cruise out of Galveston with you.

We were originally scheduled to be on the November 1st Navigator sailing out of Galveston, but ...

Al

Glad they were able to sort you out. We'll miss ya as we're on that cruise, but I'll raise one of my many glasses upcoming to your home's recovery.

Our home took on a little water during yet another torrential Houston rainstorm on October 30th/31st. While the damage isn't all that severe, the possibility of mold growth caused us to bring in a remediation firm and file a claim with our insurance company. There was no way we could have left our home.

But the good news is that my travel agent and Royal Caribbean combined efforts to apply the total cost toward another cruise ... so we'll be on the Liberty's 2/21 sailing.

Yes, we did have insurance, and would likely have been covered under the "trip interruption" clause ... but this was so much easier, and we would have booked another cruise anyway.

Overall we're grateful ... it could have been substantially worse, both in terms of damage to our home and recouping our losses from our canceled cruise.

Al

Sorry you had to deal with the water damage. We live close to Galveston and didn't have that much rain. I'm so glad RC was willing to move your cruise forward to February. You have enough to worry about right now. :)

Thank you all. Your good wishes are much appreciated. Mercifully, it doesn't look as if we'll have to remove any drywall. We didn't get much more than an inch or so of water, and things appear to have dried out nicely. They'll be treating the affected areas with a commercial mildew retardant, so we should be fine.

The major issue will be replacement of the wood floors, which "cupped" almost immediately ... they're almost sixty years old, and there's no way they can be matched, so a bunch will be torn up. As I noted, it could have been so much worse ... we can deal with this.

Our travel agent has always been very special, going the extra mile when he can. It took him less than an hour to arrange the new cruise with Royal Caribbean. I can't help but think that our loyalty status (D+) had something to do with it, but Royal wasn't obligated to act at all, especially given that we had insurance.

It will all be good. Thanks again for caring.

Al

Edited by jewopaho

What I get from reading they did not use their insurance. Royal let them switch their reservation to another cruise so looks like the title would be the same if they did not have insurance.

That's correct. We never thought about any reason for insurance other than to cover a medical emergency, since we live less than an hour from the Port of Galveston ... no flight delays, lost luggage, etc. But it's good to know that several other contingencies are included ... guess I'll have to sit down and read the policy.

From a financial point of view, RCI would have been better off letting us file the claim, since they'd be collecting for both the cruise we canceled and the one we'd be booking, rather than applying the cost of one toward the other. I'm certain that our loyalty status (D+) had an influence on their decision ... but then again, they weren't obligated to do a thing, and we'd have recovered the cost of the cruise through insurance. We're just glad that someone in corporate was able to bend the rules in our favor.

Al

That's correct. We never thought about any reason for insurance other than to cover a medical emergency, since we live less than an hour from the Port of Galveston ... no flight delays, lost luggage, etc. But it's good to know that several other contingencies are included ... guess I'll have to sit down and read the policy.

From a financial point of view, RCI would have been better off letting us file the claim, since they'd be collecting for both the cruise we canceled and the one we'd be booking, rather than applying the cost of one toward the other. I'm certain that our loyalty status (D+) had an influence on their decision ... but then again, they weren't obligated to do a thing, and we'd have recovered the cost of the cruise through insurance. We're just glad that someone in corporate was able to bend the rules in our favor.

Al

Happy to hear RCI worked with you and hope your house repairs go quickly.

I have a couple of questions about the transfer terms. Could you please email me at suek46 at hotmail dot com. Thanks...

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise