Lover of Traveling...but a Stranger to Cruising

mickayla18

Hi Guys,

I am so exited! As mentioned I love traveling and value my vacations, no matter where I go. I like things the way I like them, but I'm not a "whiner", I try really hard to make the best of any situation. So what if I get food poisoning on the ship... just means I'll lose some weight, yay!!! Lol. My first cruise is in 20 days!!! On the Norwegian Getaway. We are driving to Miami from Missouri and my biggest concern....drumroll....is that I will be over my 50lb weight limit as stated on NCL website. Does anyone know if they really stand by that rule? Also any other tips? Thanks a bunch for answering:-)

P.S. anyone with kids that have gotten seasick?

Mickayla

Hi Guys,

I am so exited! As mentioned I love traveling and value my vacations, no matter where I go. I like things the way I like them, but I'm not a "whiner", I try really hard to make the best of any situation. So what if I get food poisoning on the ship... just means I'll lose some weight, yay!!! Lol. My first cruise is in 20 days!!! On the Norwegian Getaway. We are driving to Miami from Missouri and my biggest concern....drumroll....is that I will be over my 50lb weight limit as stated on NCL website. Does anyone know if they really stand by that rule? Also any other tips? Thanks a bunch for answering:-)

Mickayla

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

NCL never weighs bags. They only say that weight limit because that is airline weight limit and they want to make handling the bags easier on porters. But in all my cruising on NCL when I hand off the bags to the porters nothing is ever weighed.

You're driving, so no aircraft limits involved.

The 50lb limit applies to a single item, such as a bag, and as NM Lady's post it's a health&safety issue for the guys who schlepp your stuff at the port / on the ship.

But you can take more stuff as long as you spread it over more bags

So if you want to take your entire dressing-table, pack the contents & the dressing-table separately :D

JB :)

It's up to you whether you want to give your kids OTC seasickness remedies like Dramamine or bonnine that you can get at any drug store. The big ships tend to be very stable. I would talk to the kids' pediatrician & read the labels. Ginger is a good natural remedy. I also get some relief from my sea bands an acupressure remedy. I'd try that before drugs but that is just me

Edited by trish1c

I think you are going to enjoy cruising. We've traveled with children from toddlers through teens and never had one get seasick. One of my daughters got seasick on the first night of one cruise. She went to Guest Services and got Bonine at the first sign. You can purchase the sea bands at pharmacy just as a preventative for your children. The ships are really stabilized and even in some rough seas during one of our cruises, our kids fared better than we did. They thought it was hilarious to watch the waves in the pool and the water sloshing out. That's the only time we've been in that kind of rough seas.

I just returned from my first sea cruise -- out of the Port of Baltimore to the Bahamas. I chose it because I live only an hour's drive away from that Port, and I didn't have to fly or worry about weight limits. I took my niece, because my husband, who has some mobility issues but isn't wheel chair bound, thought it would be too difficult. My niece and I had a wonderful time. Now I am trying to convince my husband to go. Anyone know the most user friendly cruise line for people with mobility issues? :confused:

... I took my niece, because my husband, who has some mobility issues but isn't wheel chair bound, thought it would be too difficult. My niece and I had a wonderful time. Now I am trying to convince my husband to go. Anyone know the most user friendly cruise line for people with mobility issues? :confused:

Check out the Disabled Cruise Travel forum on Cruise Critic.There are a lot of folks on that forum who can help you out.

Hi Guys,

Mickayla

That weight limit is for you, not your luggage. So don't worry, you'll be fine.

That weight limit is for you, not your luggage. So don't worry, you'll be fine.

Wanna think about what you've posted there?

You, me, almost every adult and plenty of kids weigh far more than 50 lbs. ;)

And I'm not prepared to cut off my arms & legs and pack them in separate cases, just to keep NCL happy. :eek: :p

JB :)

ah grammar....chuckling

the truth is about packing for a cruise, put in all you want and then take half of it out.

Where is your cruise going? Some place warm? (lighter clothes) How many days? (mix and match outfits) lots of shoes, trust me, on board except for dinner, you wont be changing out that often. What are your shore excursions? Will you be doing a lot of walking? Or are you being bussed to a location? Again, cut down on the shoes, you wont need all of them. Cut down on outfits, you wont need but half, and choose your formal clothes to match the location of formal night.

When I first started cruising I had outfits for morning, afternoon and evenings.

Now, on warm cruises, I have a light pair of jammies for night, a couple pairs of shorts and t's for the day, a couple bathing suits, and one light weight dress for each evening.

Next years cruise to Alaska will still be a challenge, but I decided the way to meet that challenge is just get a smaller suitcase, so I don't pack as much, and do laundry on the ship. How many sets of long underwear will I need-that's the mystery....

Edited by marshhawk

Regarding choosing the wardrobe to impress others on a cruise, my favorite comment (from another forum) is, "You wouldn't worry so much what other people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did."

Hi Guys,

Mickayla

My son never got seasick, but he used to get carsick. Bonine worked very well.

Just be prepared with meclazine cause mother nature is always a surprise.

Travel is an eye opening experience no matter how you go about it and I get the feel that you are both feet into it:D

I just have one warning..........CRUISING IS ADDICTIVE :p