NCL has big revenue dreams - Bloomberg

david_sobe

thiswillbefunnj: you were disappointed in the Haven experience? wow I don't think I have heard many, if anyone say that. I wonder what disappointed you?

I don't wish to jump in ahead of thiswillbefunnj, but we were on the same cruise & met one another in the Haven lounge. The Haven was a waste of money & not the special experience it's advertised as. Of course NCL can't know who your fellow Haven passengers will be, but I think the time has come to make it an adults only area. Screaming children running through the Haven restaurant, pool area & lounge constantly is unacceptable. Teens & kids taking over the pool & hot tub, screaming, splashing & asking for food & drinks that were left everywhere. We even tried to sit in the lounge to have a drink before dinner & had to leave. The noise level from kids & drunk adults was too much. The Haven restaurant was nice looking, but tables are close together & just one family with unruly children can ruin your dinner -now add 3 or 4 families & you can understand why we rarely spent time there. The buffet was quieter.

I had an invisible Butler. Actually the same one as thiswillbefunnj. Never brought one thing we asked for.

As she stated, we did complain & nothing changed. Well, something changed. Now I'm thinking of sailing with another line. Not worth paying Haven prices if we don't even receive the minimum 'special' treatment.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just wanted to answer you.

We thought Virginia was very pleasant.

Yes. Virginia was very pleasant. She smiled & nodded her head at all the right times as I told of about the difficulties we had with our Butler & the Haven lounge/restaurant area.

Nothing changed. The problems persisted & Virginia remained 'pleasant'.

I'm happy you had no complaints on this cruise.

I found the same thing when pricing cruises out of the northeast (which I actually haven't done lately) but now that DW and I have the ability to fly to the port of departure it does open up a few more options. Right after I booked our cruise for next year I looked at RCCL and they had a comparable cruise for about $100 more than CCL and that's close enough for me to give them a try. I don't want to cruise on any of the larger cruise ships, regardless of price. Too much time on an aircraft carrier while in the Navy:o.

Okay, just for grins I priced a 2017 cruise out of the northeast. Breakaway out of NYC in April 2017 midship balcony on a Bahamas itinterary comes in at $3600

Pride out of Baltimore in April 2017 midship balcony on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary comes in at $1900.

I know that some would pick the BA because it's newer but I'm not one of those;).

Okay, just for grins I priced a 2017 cruise out of the northeast. Breakaway out of NYC in April 2017 midship balcony on a Bahamas itinterary comes in at $3600

Pride out of Baltimore in April 2017 midship balcony on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary comes in at $1900.

I know that some would pick the BA because it's newer but I'm not one of those;).

You do know that's springbreak weeks, right? Easter is April 16th for 2017. Same situation for 2016 when it falls on March 27 - neither are a good times for people that don't like to around too many kids.

You also know that you compared Carnival Pride that about the same size as the Sky with even less amenities than that ship, to a megaship like the Breakaway - of course, the Pride is going to be dirt cheap, lol. And it's Baltimore, not everyone is clamoring to visit there either....

Edit- If you're going to compare 'small' ships - Gem is sailing from NYC for those 2 time periods. True, longer itinerary than both the Pride and Breakaway, but for the same price of the Breakaway for a 10-14 day trip.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

You do know that's springbreak weeks, right? Easter is April 16th for 2017. Same situation for 2016 when it falls on March 27 - neither are a good times for people that don't like to around too many kids.

You also know that you compared Carnival Pride that about the same size as the Sky with even less amenities than that ship, to a megaship like the Breakaway - of course, the Pride is going to be dirt cheap, lol. And it's Baltimore, not everyone is clamoring to visit there either....

Yes, I am aware that it's vacation month and I know that I compared the Pride to a megaship *gasp*;) but I'm not willing to pay almost twice the price for a cruise, even with a "free" drink package. I also know that the Gem is doing a longer sailing but right now I'm not is a position to do those longer sailings. (And I chose the Fascination over the Gem because the Gem was $800 for the same itinerary, so I'm not afraid of the older ships or the smaller ships.) As I said in one of these threads (losing track:eek:) I'm in the financial demographic that Del Rio is trying to attract but not the psychological demographic- I'm not going to be swayed by bells and whistles. (Edited- I looked at the Gem for grins- $4350 so that would be out too.)

Edited by sparks1093

Yes. Virginia was very pleasant. She smiled & nodded her head at all the right times as I told of about the difficulties we had with our Butler & the Haven lounge/restaurant area.

Nothing changed. The problems persisted & Virginia remained 'pleasant'.

I'm happy you had no complaints on this cruise.

The Haven was very nice and quiet. We went in September. The dining room was pretty, and their were only well behaved children in there. Also didn't think the tables were too close together.

Virgina ask how our butler was..I said ..okay...didn't ask for anything. Would never go on a mega ship again because the rest of the ship was smoky, not enough elevators, and a zoo in general! We are booked on three more NCL cruises, South America, Hawaii, and New Zealand. We feel that they have a good value for the money!

Edited by Merriem

... Pride out of Baltimore in April 2017 midship balcony on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary comes in at $1900. I know that some would pick the BA because it's newer but I'm not one of those;).

Nice find ... we can further lower that by at $100 per stateroom in extra OBC, stackable on top of anything else by the line and/or TA. Disclosure - for us, that's from stockholder's perks, easy cash "back" on top of our very nice quarterly dividends. Not so much for NCLH (which we don't own) Baltimore might just be on our radar for next Spring - and the extended clan will likely be coming along as they usually do. :p We don't need x # of upcharge dining, ice bar, water slides or rope course, etc. - a matter of personal preference & priorities.

Back to the big revenue dream, however, cabins going vacant approaching the cruise date, i.e. Thanksgiving, coming up on the BA - which shouldn't be too difficult to sell out quick, etc. - is not necessary good for Wall Street. Prices dropping - really, last minute - like flies - OX is just $699 p/p + taxes/fees, etc. Wait, BX lowered to be the same price @ $699 p/p ... Thus, just $50 more than IX and there is now Studio availability, woohoo - those solo travelers must be getting nice upgrades, or not ?? Many don't care for a GTY cabin but we are fine with them - should we hit the button & go last minute again, but - "no" - not going.

Allright, standby for the "spinning" next ...

Use it - the Ignore list - easy to skip reading & not respond to nonsense, there is a difference on an open forum, on agreeing to disagree.

Edited by mking8288

Nice find ... we can further lower that by at $100 per stateroom in extra OBC, stackable on top of anything else by the line and/or TA. Disclosure - for us, that's from stockholder's perks, easy cash "back" on top of our very nice quarterly dividends. Not so much for NCLH (which we don't own) Baltimore might just be on our radar for next Spring - and the extended clan will likely be coming along as they usually do. :p We don't need x # of upcharge dining, ice bar, water slides or rope course, etc. - a matter of personal preference & priorities.

Back to the big revenue dream, however, cabins going vacant approaching the cruise date, i.e. Thanksgiving, coming up on the BA - which shouldn't be too difficult to sell out quick, etc. - is not necessary good for Wall Street. Prices dropping - really, last minute - like flies - OX is just $699 p/p + taxes/fees, etc. Wait, BX lowered to be the same price @ $699 p/p ... Thus, just $50 more than IX and there is now Studio availability, woohoo - those solo travelers must be getting nice upgrades, or not ?? Many don't care for a GTY cabin but we are fine with them - should we hit the button & go last minute again, but - "no" - not going.

Use it - the Ignore list - easy to skip reading & not respond to nonsense, there is a difference on an open forum, on agreeing to disagree.

I guess you scared off all the "spinners" with facts !!!!

Nice find ... we can further lower that by at $100 per stateroom in extra OBC, stackable on top of anything else by the line and/or TA. Disclosure - for us, that's from stockholder's perks, easy cash "back" on top of our very nice quarterly dividends. Not so much for NCLH (which we don't own) Baltimore might just be on our radar for next Spring - and the extended clan will likely be coming along as they usually do. [emoji14] We don't need x # of upcharge dining, ice bar, water slides or rope course, etc. - a matter of personal preference & priorities.

I don't travel on holidays or summer especially Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas/New Year's because got to make a appreance at family 's mini reunion - in NYC, no less... But the week after Thanksgiving is perfectly nice for since it's low price, my birthday week and no Christmas songs/carols shove down my throat, lol.

I hope that Del Rio is reading these posts.

Fancy cutlery, china, and higher prices, does not a cruise make. Clean, well run, well maintained ships are a demand we all expect.

Del Rio needs to realize that the passenger dynamics of NCL is different than that of Oceania. Many of NCL's passengers are young families with children who want more value for their money, not more money spent for their value. Yes, of course NCL needs to update their ships, but keep the prices reasonable for the passengers it has. If he makes the prices comparable to Celebrity-------guess what!!!. We'll take our money elsewhere.

What didn't you like on Royal Caribbean and how did it compare with NCL. I haven't been on Royal Caribbean since my first ever cruise, so I would be interested in how they compare.

Look for my review on the NCL Sun on Oct. 24th. I'm not sure if its posted yet. I compare this first NCL cruise to the many Royal and Carnival I've taken. This is an older ship, and NCL was the cheapest cost.

I don't travel on holidays or summer especially Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas/New Year's because got to make a appreance at family 's mini reunion - in NYC, no less... But the week after Thanksgiving is perfectly nice for since it's low price, my birthday week and no Christmas songs/carols shove down my throat, lol.

Sorry you have such disdain for Christmas carols.

I guess you scared off all the "spinners" with facts !!!!

LOL, it is what is is, informed investors welcomed factual truth :D nothing to be scared about - shock and awe vs. smoke and mirror. Let each decide for themselves ... caveat emptor being the operative phrase, IMO ;)

What the heck, let's give the revenue dream another good whack -

private offering upsized from $500 million to $600 million - http://www.marketwatch.com/story/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-announces-the-pricing-of-upsized-600000000-senior-notes-offering-2015-11-05

Analyst price target updated on NCLH - http://www.insidertradingreport.org/analyst-price-target-update-on-norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd/6170538/

What do I think: hmmm, "No comment" - please consult one's own investment advisor for opinions, etc.

"An educated consumer is our best customer" quoting Sy Sim, discount retailer clothing founder's famous slogan for 30 years.

Reality - empty/unsold cabins aren't good for business, it seemed. IX on the same 10 nights sailing dropped again to $599 p/p, OG is now $649 and OF is $699. Bargain hunters for last minute deal, here are your chances - plenty of time to pack & plan before going - after finishing the Turkey's with family at home. And, discounts for solo. ;)