Alaska Cruise June-July 2016 Dining Room

CSMissouri

First time to Alaska, booked on Ruby Princess out of Seattle on June 26. It's summer, right? So I would normally wear white or black capris, dressy sandals, summery tops. Is this appropriate in Alaska, or should I plan on darker dress slacks? Thanks for the help.

First time to Alaska, booked on Ruby Princess out of Seattle on June 26. It's summer, right? So I would normally wear white or black capris, dressy sandals, summery tops. Is this appropriate in Alaska, or should I plan on darker dress slacks? Thanks for the help.

Ā 

Be prepared to wear longer pants and warmer than summer. Temps can be from the low 50's to the 80's on any given. If you have cruised in the Carribean only you'll have to be prepared for all kinds of weather in Alaska.

Your best bet for what to wear on an Alaskan cruise is to plan to bring clothing you can layer. There is a ton of advise on this subject on the Alaska board. Even in June and July it can be very very cool/cold on an Alaskan trip. You'll need to keep an eye out about two weeks before you leave on your cruise to see what the weather forecast is.

Ā 

Our Alaskan cruise was in July and there wasn't one day that I would have worn just warm weather clothing. I wore layers and took off and added clothing as needed during the day.

Ā 

As I mentioned above, there is a plethora of information on the Alaskan board about what to take and wear on such a cruise. Having said that and to answer you more specific question about the dining room...every night I wore a long-sleeved, thick, cotton sweater with either jeans or a long denim skirt. Alaskan cruises are very casual. Even on "formal" nights people did not dress up all that much. I wouldn't venture outside on deck at night without gloves, a scarf, hat, a heavy jacket, socks, and boots. However, like I said...sometimes in June and July it could be very warm. You just have to keep you eye out for the weather forecast and plan to layer your clothes.

Ā 

Another tip I would give you is to take the best pair of binoculars you can afford and the best camera you can afford. Those two items are, in my opinion, mandatory. We would have regretted not having them with us on our cruise. We were able to see so many things from the deck with the binoculars that were in the distance. Whales, birds, scenery, etc., etc. Just the best tool to have.

Ā 

I hope you enjoy your Alaskan cruise as much as we did. It was a great adventure and one of the best cruises we ever took. It's just awesome.

Thanks for addressing/ understanding my question. Yes, I've read about layering, etc. for outdoors--I'm wondering more about indoors. There seems to be debate about whether they are more casual--can't see how it could be MORE casual than the Caribbean we just returned from. [emoji33]

Lol! "Casual" is in the eye of the beholder! Capris are fine, if it's warm enough for you. Inside the ship, it's "room temperature"...

Ā 

I think when folks say Alaska is more casual, they mean lots of jeans....that's the majority of pants you'll see from anyone under, say, 65 or so....

Ā 

Yes..it's "summer" then, but Alaska summers aren't like the lower 48 summers!!!

I never saw any jeans in the dining room on our AK cruise, although they were fairly universal during the day. I also did not see much of the Caribbean/Hawaiian print look. I did see most of the women in either a dress, skirt and top, or long pants and top, more with sleeves than without. Indoor spaces are kept at comfortable temperatures, but the ambience feels different from a beach-type cruise.

Thank you all for the helpful information--looks like I won't be taking my tropical-colored summer tops!šŸ– That is exactly what I wanted to know. Summer in Missouri (or the Caribbean) does not equal summer in Alaska. [emoji274]