New NCL Menus...

sid_9169

What is so hard to grasp about steak and chips (UK terminology)?:confused:

They are trying to ponce it up a bit:rolleyes: - probably serving it with chunky chips/fries as opposed to those thin stringy chips/fries that get served with burgers.

More to the point - is it a decent enough steak to be served rare? (It used to be on the old MDR lunch menu).

Do you mean if you order the "Steak Frites" they will only bring you a plate of thick-cut french fries with a grilled tomato, watercress, and herb butter?

If they did that there would be a 'scene' I'm afraid to say...

Separate me from my red meat - bad plan:D.

They don't have a vegetarian V on the Steak Frites.

There's an asterisk next to it. If you look at the legend under these items that denotes a vegetarian dish. Looks like it will be a plate of steak cut fries, just as the menu says.

There's an asterisk next to it. If you look at the legend under these items that denotes a vegetarian dish. Looks like it will be a plate of steak cut fries, just as the menu says.
Vegetarian dishes are indicated by "(v)". The asterisk corresponds to the warning about raw or undercooked ingredients (meat, seafood, shellfish, eggs, milk, poultry).

The note in the legend reads "* These items are served raw or undercooked or contains...." goes on about meat, seafood, shellfish, eggs, poultry,.....

Two lines ahead of that reads "(V) indicates vegetarian dish"

In the menu the salad has a V, the prime rib an *

Steak Frites is probably just steak with grilled tomato that you can order rare.

No. Steak Frites is what French bistros have been calling steak and fries forever. It is usually a less expensive cut.

You are correct in the classic sense - but a lot of restaurants in the US use "steak frites" as referencing they style of cutting a fry.

So - could be either. Is it listed under main dishes? If it is, it is probably the "steak frites" dish - steak and fries. If not, enjoy your fries without steak!

EDITED to note that others have addressed this - sounds like the * suggest it is the steak + fries dish. I agree with the person who posted it gives them flexibility to use whatever cut of meat they have on hand!

Edited by TrinaLC

So - could be either. Is it listed under main dishes? If it is, it is probably the "steak frite" dish - steak and fries. If not, enjoy your fries without steak!

It's listed under "Classic Favorites", along with Dorado Ceviche (everyone's classic favorite :D:confused:), Caesar Salad, Rotisserie Chicken, Poached Salmon, and Shrimp Rigatoni. So that section is a mix of starters/salads and main dishes. A plate of steak fries is neither. The MDR menus do not list side dishes like vegetables and fries separately.

It's listed under "Classic Favorites", along with Dorado Ceviche (everyone's classic favorite :D:confused:), Caesar Salad, Rotisserie Chicken, Poached Salmon, and Shrimp Rigatoni. So that section is a mix of starters/salads and main dishes. A plate of steak fries is neither. The MDR menus do not list side dishes like vegetables and fries separately.

The side dishes /add-on for each entree is under the name of dish. Steak frites is exactly what it is - a main dish of Steak with fries with a side dish of tomato, watercress and herb butter, lol.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My poor kids are gonna hate the MDR food choices.. Whatever happened to spaghetti with bolognese sauce!!??
Have to agree with you here. The few times I ate in the MDR, I had the spaghetti bolognese and it was very good. BTW, it is available for room service, so you might be able to ask for it in the MDR and who knows they might just bring them some...just a thought.

My poor kids are gonna hate the MDR food choices.. Whatever happened to spaghetti with bolognese sauce!!??

They have fettuccine bolognese as an appetizer one day, and they have spaghetti marinara as a side another day. So I think they will prepare spaghetti bolognese for your kids, but you have to probably ask a day in advance (this will give them an education in the true meaning of "freestyle cruising"…)

I don't think anyone has posted the new kids menu yet (if there is one), so there may be some acceptable choices there.

While it doesnt look terrible at first glance and it will be interesting to try out

Just realize that all or at least most of the names they have pulled out of thin air for these new dishes just hide the fact that you are definitely going to get less food and cheaper food

Creamed mozzarella? Really

Ok so they now take a minuscule piece of mozzarella and blend it with more milk so they can pour it over chopped tomatoes?

Really I prefer a real slice of mozzarella and a nice slice of beefsteak tomato with oil drizzled over it but by doing it the new way they can feed 4 people with the nice slice of mozzarella and thick slice of tomato that I prefer all to myself. lol

Presentation will look nice I'm sure and the vast majority of cruisers will be impressed...me probably too....

But please don't kid yourself....it's just cheaper food...less food prepared in a way to stretch it ....and reuse it the next day

Enjoy it but please it's not fine dining. It's just dressing up cheap food in a way to fool you.

Sorry but true but it will impress the novices

Don't knock it til you have tried it. Let's wait and see after people have sailed if the new menu is an improvement of disappointment. I notice Salmon is back, that is a positive for many.

As for them just using foods left over from one day, the next: isn't that a good idea? I love to cook and one thing I love is creating a good meal or entree from last night's leftovers.

Edited by newmexicoNita

As for them just using foods left over from one day, the next: isn't that a good idea? I love to cook and one thing I love is creating a good meal or entree from last night's leftovers.

Of course it's a good idea at home, but it would be bad for the image they are trying to create if people could tell that lots of dishes were made from leftovers. You do see things like salads with seafood or meat, and it is probably stuff that they had too much of the previous day. I would be interested to know more about how they manage leftovers, but the only thing they will say publicly (in my experience) is that they are very good at preparing only what is needed and that there are very few leftovers…

On embarkation day you can ask to see the MDR menus for the whole cruise and make adjustments or cancel reservations as necessary.

This is one little gem I did not know! Thank you so much! I'm keeping this info stored for next October!!!

On embarkation day you can ask to see the MDR menus for the whole cruise and make adjustments or cancel reservations as necessary.

I tried this a few times and each time guest services tell me to either come back to them each morning or to check the 'window' by the MDR when they post the daily menu. I even asked for daily MDR menus when in suites - still, never got them.

Harriet

I tried this a few times and each time guest services tell me to either come back to them each morning or to check the 'window' by the MDR when they post the daily menu. I even asked for daily MDR menus when in suites - still, never got them.

They should (hearsay though) have the menus available at the main restaurant reservations desk close to guest services, not in guest services itself.

Also we have never had any problem getting all the menus from the butler on first or second day of the cruise at latest (at least twice they have said that the order of the rest of the menus is still not finalized on embarkation and have delivered the rest of the menus on second day, at least once the order has even changed mid-cruise).

Edited by Demonyte

Things can vary from cruise to cruise, as usual, and I guess also depending on who you ask and how helpful they are feeling that day… Maybe on some cruises they really don't have the menus for the entire cruise 100% planned out from the beginning. Or they are reluctant to make you any promises because they never know if they have to change things mid-cruise. But I have seen the full set of menus displayed in the MDR, I don't remember which ship (Jade?).

you can definitely get the menus - the folk with food allergies get a set so they can decide where to dine on which days. :) The joys of travelling with someone with a food allergy. Maybe ask one of the restaurant managers.

I will be cruising on Pride of America next month so will be hoping to try some of these new items. I have 3 reservations at the specialty restaurants but since I do have a food allergy (black pepper - a real fun one) I do ask for menus ahead of time so I can let them know what I will be having. Sometimes I can't get one until the day before but at least that is an option. Hopefully I will be able to juggle my Moderno and Teppanyaki around. Le Bistro is on the night we leave Kona and in the past for a small upcharge they have fresh lobster there.