Question about turning gold on a cruise.

watermelonqueen99

We turn gold on the 4th night of our next cruise on the Freedom in January. We were told by guest services on the Magic last month that as soon as we board the Freedom, we can go to guest services and exchange our red card for a gold one, that we don't have to wait until night 4. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks!

Edited by watermelonqueen99

You should be given a gold card when you check in at the pier. Look at your travel documents/boarding pass and your VIFP status should reflect that you're Gold now.

Not that it really matters. Other than a free drink and a pin, gold status is essentially meaningless.

Edited by stobe1

You should be given a gold card when you check in at the pier. Look at your travel documents/boarding pass and your VIFP status should reflect that you're Gold now.

Not that it really matters. Other than a free drink and a pin, gold status is essentially meaningless.

Thanks! I know that as far as perks, gold is "meaningless", but I'm really looking forward to that non-red card. LOL

We turn gold on the 4th night of our next cruise on the Freedom in January. We were told by guest services on the Magic last month that as soon as we board the Freedom, we can go to guest services and exchange our red card for a gold one, that we don't have to wait until night 4. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks!

Congrats on turning Gold!

When you check in you will get the gold card. ETA: Gold is NOT meaningless, you earned it!

The Freedom is a really nice ship, we enjoyed it.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Edited by tonit964

Thanks! I know that as far as perks, gold is "meaningless", but I'm really looking forward to that non-red card. LOL

Turning gold is not meaningless. The color of the card is not what should be looked forward to, but a drink definitely. Anything that is useful is meaningful. For me a pin is useless, I through it out right away. One of my perks is free laundry but for me personally its useless since I don't want all my clothes shrunk after they dry it.

And yes, as soon as you will step inside the ship you are Gold, which is nice, not every cruise line does that. I know NCL does not do it.

Edited by cruiseelady

as far as the color of the card goes, it used to be a nice gold color, now as per my recent cruise a week ago, the color is more of a mustard yellow color.

Count me among those golds who felt they were "kicked in the gut" by Carnival when they made those recent changes to their tiers, and I still do feel that way.

But...OP, I will say this; Carnival's crew dont care what color your card is. Whether it is blue, red, mustard yellow, or those other uppity shades:rolleyes:, they will treat you well. They are color blind! I can only say that Carnival ship's employees have always impressed me, and I have sailed on two other lines, Celebrity being one of the others. I have not yet, nor will likely ever return to Celebrity. Carnival employees have made me feel special no matter what the color of my card, and it is that yucky mustard yellow.

I do understand from other posts about this that you should recieve the color card that you will turn during your cruise. Welcome to Gold!

Edited by SMSACE6

Thank you all so much! I don't care what anyone else thinks, this girl is EXCITED to turn Gold! LOL Ya'll have made my night by confirming that we'll receive a gold card at embark. Is that silly and trivial? Possibly. Do I care? Nope! LOL Thanks again for your responses! :):):)

Turning gold is not meaningless. The color of the card is not what should be looked forward to, but a drink definitely. Anything that is useful is meaningful. For me a pin is useless, I through it out right away. One of my perks is free laundry but for me personally its useless since I don't want all my clothes shrunk after they dry it.

And yes, as soon as you will step inside the ship you are Gold, which is nice, not every cruise line does that. I know NCL does not do it.

As far as I know, Carnival is the only on that DOES do it. :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I just realized that I turn GOLD on day 4 of my 4 day cruise. So I know that it means nothing but I think a bottle of water on this cruise, but I just like the idea that I have moved up!!! So I am looking forward to getting my GOLD (or whatever color it is!) on this cruise!!

I can't wait for my cruise to get here!!

:D

Congrats on getting Gold......besides the bottle of water and free drink it's the next step to climbing the ladder to Plat n Diamond 😜🍹🍹

It is a 4 day...I don't even get the drink!! Thanks for the congrats, and your right, it is the next step!!!