Insignia misses Maldives

Balloon Man

Insignia's call to the Maldives due 9 November has been cancelled because a state of emergency has been declared on the islands. The ship will instead dock afternoon of the 8th in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

There is also a rumour that our call to Mombasa is at risk, reason unknown.

Edited by Balloon Man

Maldives is in a constitutional crisis and there is no law. Locals and tourists are alarmed at the cache of weapons that have been discovered. A Vice President supposedly tried to kill the President.

Mombasa has been flooded out. There is concern about disease that can be carried by the stagnant water. That may be the reason why the ship will bypass Mombasa.

Oh that is a great shame. It is a unique place. The "Government" there is saying the crisis will not affect the island resorts, but I can understand O's reluctance.

In Sri Lanka, if possible, visit the Pinnawalla Elephant Sanctuary. A must see. but of course at such sort notice.......... In the twenty years we have been cruising, when asked "What is your favourite place" that is it!!!! J

Have to agree that Colombo is a better port....more to see and experience. We didn't day trip to any of the atolls and resorts while at the port stop in the Maldives. Actually, we were there on a Friday I believe and most everything was shut down. We called it the Port of Single Men....rarely saw a woman while we took a walk around the closed town. Not worth the wait for the tender in our opinion.

On that same cruise, Mombasa was eliminated as a stop. O cited civil unrest as a reason which was valid. The most disappointing change was the deletion of Myanmar....really disappointing as that change happened after final payment.

Have to agree that Colombo is a better port....more to see and experience. We didn't day trip to any of the atolls and resorts while at the port stop in the Maldives. Actually, we were there on a Friday I believe and most everything was shut down. We called it the Port of Single Men....rarely saw a woman while we took a walk around the closed town. Not worth the wait for the tender in our opinion.

On that same cruise, Mombasa was eliminated as a stop. O cited civil unrest as a reason which was valid. The most disappointing change was the deletion of Myanmar....really disappointing as that change happened after final payment.

Instead of three-days-two-nights in Myanmar, you _____________________?

Maldives is in a constitutional crisis and there is no law. A Vice President supposedly tried to kill the President.

In the US, story goes a Vice-President did kill a President, but law stayed in place. Now, I was just a young lad at the time, but this is what I have been told or read in articles or maybe I saw a movie. :rolleyes:

Regardless, hope the people in the region find safety and peace soon.

When traveling in the entire region of Africa, Mid east, indo-pacific one should not be surprised at political/social unrest....its a very potent area which is rolling the dice daily as to the situation.....Expect it don't be surprised by .it

I hope my DH doesn't read this. I've been trying to convince him on a South African safari LOL

LOL What encouragement!

Guess I'll have to keep working on him. :D

I have the name of the safari company if you're interested. Comparatively speaking, it was very reasonably priced (it would have to be for us). Great staff, wonderful food, and oh my, the wildlife is EVERYWHERE!

We have done it twice. First time upscale mid range in price. But second time we went for over the top luxury. If u can afford it, splurge. It makes a difference

Agree 100% Bob :)

We are going back in 2017 for a week in Kruger then on the SS Explorer for a West Africa cruise. Wish O did something like this.

I agree about how wonderful a safari is. We did Kenya and Tanzania a bunch of years ago.

But I've reading how different South Africa is, plus want to get to Botswana and Victoria falls.

Yes, would like name of tour company.

And then I think we should go back to original topic .... versus high jacking this thread. :D

Insignia's call to the Maldives due 9 November has been cancelled because a state of emergency has been declared on the islands. The ship will instead dock afternoon of the 8th in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

There is also a rumour that our call to Mombasa is at risk, reason unknown.

Insignia is due in the Maldives on March 1 on the world cruise. The significance of this is that those who are traveling off ship to the Taj Mahal are supposed to catch a very early morning flight from Male to Colombo, then on to Delhi. The timing is tight, because we are to reboard the ship at Cochin, the last stop in India. We're traveling from east to west, so Colombo as a port is at least 24 hours further. The previous port, in the Seychelles is two sea days prior, and the next port after Cochin is 3 sea days to Yangon, Myanmar. If we don't stop in Male, I can't figure out how we're going to get to Delhi and Agra...

Insignia is due in the Maldives on March 1 on the world cruise. The significance of this is that those who are traveling off ship to the Taj Mahal are supposed to catch a very early morning flight from Male to Colombo, then on to Delhi. The timing is tight, because we are to reboard the ship at Cochin, the last stop in India. We're traveling from east to west, so Colombo as a port is at least 24 hours further. The previous port, in the Seychelles is two sea days prior, and the next port after Cochin is 3 sea days to Yangon, Myanmar. If we don't stop in Male, I can't figure out how we're going to get to Delhi and Agra...

Don, hope you have a wonderful World Cruise. Have been reading your posts and believe you are confusing people by saying tht you are traveling from east to west. You are actually traveling from west to east as your basic direction is to the east which is contrary to most other world cruises.

Simply want people to understand that you will be going around the world to the east going thru the Panama Canal at the end of the cruise and heading toward Miami and in the beginning you are crossing the Atlantic from west to east from Brazil.

Do agree with your conclusion that if you don't stop in Male you will need to most likely cancel the Taj Mahal and hope all the comments regarding safety are adhered to by Oceania and should there still by danger in Male next year, it will be unfortunately skipped.

Edited by rallydave

I hope my DH doesn't read this. I've been trying to convince him on a South African safari LOL

I have a theory which has proven rather accurate. Nature makes thing that are dangerous with some standards like 3leaves in a cluster, triangular head.for posion snakes ets. Using that there are triangular regions and countries...I callem' snakehead countries that approach with extreme caution

India, Africa, Mid east.... Indo Pacific and much of South America.. Places where you can expect trouble as routine rather than the exception.

With ISIS, BokoHaram, Muslem Brotherhood, and associated waring warlords, corruption and disease etc ( for the past 100 years) the beauties of Africa are not enough to compensate....Ill watch the travel channel instead.