Why keep cruiseing with Carnival??

terratrac

I do admit we also don't miss the chocolate and never needed a deck of cards, but I like to have clean fresh towels after I shower....so that would mean if turndown service is only once a day, that we would need 6 bath towels because we both shower am, afternoon after being at port and evening. I wonder if they will give us a problem in giving us 6 bath towels, if I don't get that I won't be happy at all. I don't mind not getting the towel animals.

Seriously? Who needs 3 showers a day? And fresh towels every time? Sounds kind of wasteful.

I agree with you. I wouldn't call ALL the food on a Carnival ship "fast food". But there are definitely different levels of quality depending on where and what you eat. Trying different things is the only way to know the difference. [emoji4]

I know that your post was meant in a sarcastic way and I'm sorry if I took it on a bit of a tangent. I just wanted to point out in a general way how so many complain about the food on Carnival, yet the lines for pizza, burgers and burritos are never ending. Carnival is delivering more of what their guests want (which seems to be junk food) while scaling down MDR selections or charging extra (specialty restaurants) for the better quality items.

Sorry - I don't cruise expecting to eat healthy. And I don't expect a low-cost cruise line to deliver 3-star dining. I'm there to enjoy myself and relax, so give me comfort food that tastes good. The food on RCI was pretty good, and I look forward to enjoying Carnival food. I don't expect gourmet, and will not be disappointed ;)

Elias I agree the salad bar is good, the worst and smallest skimpiest salad bar if you call it that was on NCL.

Hi Tapi, maybe i have got to try HAL again thanks!

Hawks fan74, sorry that I have clean hygiene....am i shower, after shore excursion/beach/using of suntan lotion, in the hot sun in port we shower when we get back and also before dinner for the night. When I am home I reuse my towel when I am away I want fresh towels nothing wrong with that, maybe you don't shower daily but we do when needed, I don't call it wasteful I call it being fresh and clean.

Tapi, I guess you and I both know good healthy food, cheers my friend.

Our first cruise was in 1992 on Carnival's Jubilee. It was a 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise that cost us $700 per person for an ocean view cabin. This year we did a 7 night Caribbean cruise on the Magic that cost us $800 per person for a balcony. In 23 years the cost of cruising hasn't gone up. Try doing that without making cuts somewhere.

Luckily the cuts are minor and in ways that most people don't really miss. I did say MOST people... Yes, I would much rather that the people who use playing cards, and don't want to bring their own, pay a dollar rather than raise my cruise price. I would rather get one visit by the steward than raise my cruise prices. I would rather not have parties, where some people grab 3-4 drinks off the tray every time a waiter goes by to get as drunk as possible for free, than raise my cruise prices. I would even rather not get lobster on my shorter cruises than raise my cruise prices. And BTW, I was on a 3 night RCCL in 2006 and we didn't get lobster - so Carnival wasn't the first to do that.

There may be a point of no return where the cuts outweigh the cruise prices, but I'm no where near there yet. Cruising on Carnival is still the best vacation for the money.

Bob

I always roll my eyes at anyone who says, "Go sail another line if you don't like this one." OK, maybe I've said that myself, but I know my words are false.

Why? If someone doesn't like a line I too will tell them to try another. The only other alternatives are to continue sailing a line that you don't like (why waste good money) or not cruise (oh the inhumanity of it all).

I guess it's safe to say that cruising isn't what it used to be. I accept that and accept that some things just won't be the same on any cruise line as the years march on.

No, cruising like it was in the old days can still be found......if you're willing to pay for it. Try out Crystal or Regent and you'll swear you were on the old Titanic (minus the sinking.....hopefully). But your wallet will scream bloody murder if you want to enjoy that type of cruising. That's one reason I love Carnival. It's fills my cruising needs without beating my wallet over the head and robbing it blind.

Sorry - I don't cruise expecting to eat healthy. And I don't expect a low-cost cruise line to deliver 3-star dining. I'm there to enjoy myself and relax, so give me comfort food that tastes good.

There you have it. Carnival is delivering what their guests want! [emoji3]

I'm not advocating eating a yogurt with organic granola for breakfast and a kale salad for lunch and dinner. All I'm suggesting is that, while Carnival still offers it, take advantage of what you don't get to try at home. Instead of making a beeline for a hot dog with fries, save the appetite for a rack of lamb or ossobuco at the MDR. That's the beauty of cruising. It doesn't cost extra to taste new things! It's already figured in the cost of the cruise, so might as well at least try it. IMHO, it's because a lot of people are choosing not to eat these things why Carnival has chosen to apply some of their cost cutting measures in this department .

But all I'm doing is suggesting. I do agree and respect that everybody's idea of a vacation is completely different, and if what they want to eat is tried and true comfort food, that's great!

I agree with you. I wouldn't call ALL the food on a Carnival ship "fast food". But there are definitely different levels of quality depending on where and what you eat. Trying different things is the only way to know the difference. [emoji4]

I know that your post was meant in a sarcastic way and I'm sorry if I took it on a bit of a tangent. I just wanted to point out in a general way how so many complain about the food on Carnival, yet the lines for pizza, burgers and burritos are never ending. Carnival is delivering more of what their guests want (which seems to be junk food) while scaling down MDR selections or charging extra (specialty restaurants) for the better quality items.

I would argue that the reason the lines are longest for pizza, burgers, and burritos is because in many cases, those are the most edible free items on a Carnival ship. I love the steakhouse, but I've been disappointed more often than not when dining in the MDR (the exception usually being the Indian food and the chilled soups). I'm a huge proponent of always trying something new on a cruise, but the MDR could easily turn someone into a vegetarian, lol. I don't think I've ever finished an entire meal there. With the Indian food, that's because there's just too much of it, but the rest of the food I've been served is usually low enough in both quality and temperature that I've never eaten beyond "satisfied."

And before anyone says it, yes, it's nice to not have to make dinner, but that doesn't make me lose my sense of taste, lol. I've had enough high-quality meals in my lifetime to not be willing to eat a lot of the stuff I've been served on Carnival. That said, some of my Carnival cruises have been better than others in terms of food. I swear, on the Breeze, the only truly good food that I was served was the pizza and the Indian food (some of that was probably due to the rest of it never being served at a temperature higher than luke-warm). On the Ecstasy, the food was markedly better, to the point that I was praising the improvement to my tablemates.

To answer the OP: I continue to cruise with Carnival because they can provide a cheap vacation. But, I ONLY cruise with them if I can find a deal, as the sailing experience isn't worth an expensive price. Plus, Carnival's deposit policy rubs me the wrong way. I use other lines (currently NCL, but am planning to try Celebrity, Princess, RC, and HAL in the future) for my longer cruises, because I'm not willing to drop $800 or so for a deposit when I'm usually not spending more than $1200-1600 on the entire cruise.

Seriously? Who needs 3 showers a day?

It depends on your life experience. I grew up in a year-round hot and humid place with little air conditioning. For me, showering multiple times a day was not only the norm but a requirement unless you wanted to stink. Moving to the US mainland where the temperatures are a bit more forgiving and where you spend a lot of time in air conditioned environments, I learned to throttle it back to one shower a day (although it still baffles me how some people will skip daily showers, specially during winter months, claiming that they didn't sweat [emoji13]).

But when I go on a cruise, I go back to my "old ways" of multiple showers a day. It just feels disgusting not to. Once again, based on my life experience.

Edited by Tapi

It depends on your life experience. I grew up in a year-round hot and humid place with little air conditioning. For me, showering multiple times a day was not only the norm but a requirement unless you wanted to stink. Moving to the US mainland where the temperatures are a bit more forgiving and where you spend a lot of time in air conditioned environments, I learned to throttle it back to one shower a day (although it still baffles me how some people will skip daily showers, specially during winter months, claiming that they didn't sweat [emoji13]).

But when I go on a cruise, I go back to my "old ways" of multiple showers a day. It just feels disgusting not to. Once again, based on my life experience.

Very well stated! I shower more than once a day and do not find it odd at all. I also prefer fresh, dry linens each time I shower so getting a couple a day will not work.

What is the point of being loyal, and keep cruising with Carnival? Over the past 10 years I have been on 8 cruises. The latest one being with the Ecstasy just last week. The multiple "small" cut backs have greatly added up compromising the cruise experience that they once had. From turn down service, to lobster and the smallest paying for a deck a cards that were once free at guest services. And now with F2F, you can buy the perks that a loyal customer receives. Why would one not go to a different cruise line and receive the quality vacation with the newest and greatest that carnival once provided? Has anyone else felt the same, and thinking of being done with Carnival?

Do you mind me asking if you are paying more now for your Carnival cruise than you did 10 years ago? If you aren't then you should realize why the cutbacks occur. Inflation happens in all aspects of industry. Now granted fuel may cost less than it did a decade ago wages have increased, food costs increased, ship maintenance is probably unionized so of course there are increases there. So tell me again how you expect to not pay any more for a product 10 years later but you expect no changes?

Edited by Cruisegoer

For me, and a lot of others, it is all about one thing. Price. I am a bargain hunter to the maximum, so wherever I can find the cheapest per person/per night is where I give my business. Right now that is Carnival by a long shot. I love being able to take a week long vacation with my family for what I pay.

I never went on vacation growing up, so I am surely not picky at all. All of these tiny perks and the "cutbacks" have no impression on me whatsoever. Vacations and cruising is what you make it. If you want more extravagance, pay a little more for a different brand or a different vacation. If it doesn't matter to you, pay for what you think is worth it to you and yours.

I was on the Ecstasy two weeks ago. Steward asked if we wanted morning or evening service. I asked for both and she lit up saying that makes it much easier for me! She was wonderful. The one thing I love about Carnival is they try very hard to never say 'no'. If it is within their reach, they will try and make it happen for you. But you have to ask!

We would love to try other lines but to-date have not found a reason why we should spend hundreds more per person for the same ports. For the food? Smaller cabins? We love Carnival staff, food and the fun.

We would love to try other lines but to-date have not found a reason why we should spend hundreds more per person for the same ports.

It always pays to price compare. 2 of our last 3 cruises were on Holland America and Princess, both considered "premium" cruise lines, yet both were substantially cheaper than similar itineraries departing on the same dates on Carnival. With that said, while these two cruise lines had many superlatives (Princess in particular has moved to the top of our "favorites" list), there are still several things that Carnival does better. But it's still always good to experience what other cruise lines have to offer. Keeps things fresh. [emoji4]

Edited by Tapi

As someone else stated above, I don't cruise for the turn-down service, the towel animals, or how many times the room stewards clean my room in a day. I cruise to enjoy the time alone with hubby or family. I cruise to get away from the every day craziness of life. I think that Carnival is doing what every other business is doing, and that is MAKING MONEY. I know that we use to get playing cards for free, chocolates on our pillow for free, etc..., but we forget one thing. Carnival is still in the business of making money, and as long as their cruises fit my budget, and I enjoy myself, I'm not going to let stuff like that bother me. I've been on Royal Caribbean before, and the food to me was awful, it seemed like they had no night life after a certain time, and the room steward were not as nice as the ones on Carnival. If you go on a cruise expecting stuff, you end up disappointed. I go on a cruise to enjoy myself, and I look forward to each and every cruise, and can't wait to cruise the next time.

Carnival no longer offers lobster even on 5 night cruises. I was told for a fee we are able to get lobster, so all is good for me, I wonder if they have a better steak for an additional fee also?

Honestly, I shower twice a day, but when at port walking around and its hot and you sweat and you go to the beach and full of salt and tanning oil, I take a shower to clean off and cool down, its just proper hygiene and I don't want to be a stinker haha.

I do admit we also don't miss the chocolate and never needed a deck of cards, but I like to have clean fresh towels after I shower....so that would mean if turndown service is only once a day, that we would need 6 bath towels because we both shower am, afternoon after being at port and evening. I wonder if they will give us a problem in giving us 6 bath towels, if I don't get that I won't be happy at all. I don't mind not getting the towel animals.

Lol you need a new towel each time?

Yes, I certainly do when I am away I want a fresh towel for every shower, at home I reuse my towels. The towels that you get aren't exactly the very nice plush and heavy ones, they are generally thin and smaller then what I use at home and I like to have a fresh one for each shower. If they were plush and longer I would use them twice but its not the case.

I can't believe people are arguing over the frequency to shower. Unless you are in the shower with them, it isn't anyone else's business.

And yes, you can upgrade your steak in the MDR for a fee.

Why should you have to upgrade? They should serve a quality steak to begin with.

Honey, I'm not going to argue with you over a piece of meat. You could go to the steakhouse and order the same steak for more than in the MDR.

Someone asked the question. I answered.

Too many petty arguments on these boards.

Pami1968 thank you for answering my question!!

Mediicruzin I am sorry but the steak that is offered on the MDR menu (the Fascination does not have a steakhouse, we were on the Valor in May had 8 night cruise and dined at the steakhouse for 7 nights, and I tell you both the lobster and the different variety of steaks offered in the steakhouse are amazing so much superior than what you get in the MDR) is not a good type steak and one that I never purchase at home either, even the Prime Rib is all fat and not much meat, the filet mignon isn't true filet mignon its a steak that is sliced thinly...I am grateful that Carnival gives me the opportunity to get a better quality and better tasting steak for a fee, but your correct it should be a decent piece of meat in the first place but I understand cruise lines must cut back, at least we have choices.