From Civitavecchia... to Pompeii? Anyone done it?

kittyluvrnurse

Lets talk about geography :). If you were to rent a car or hire a car/driver it would take approximately 3 1/2 hours each way (assuming no delays) to get to Pompeii. If you wanted to use trains it would take about 1:15 from Civitavecchia to Rome, another hour plus to Naples, and about 20 minutes more on a train to Pompeii Scavai. With time for changing trains and waiting this trip would likely take at least 3 1/2 hours (each way).

If you were spending a few days in Rome it could certainly be done as a long day trip, but considering you would spend at least 7 hours in transit it is not a typical tour day.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Actuallly, I have take a bus one time from Rome itelf (not the port) to pompeii as I wanted to go so much,and i twas not bad..it was a long day trip,but so owrth for me at the time. It was a tour they offered..Green Bus I think.

OP, are you talking about going from Rome (Civitavecchia) or from Naples port?

It wouldn't really make sense to go from Civitavecchia.

We would have asked the same question but noted that the OP is from Texas. And in Texas (we have lived in Dallas) folks usually mean what they say :).

Hank

• 2 months later...
Yes, sorry. Definitely Meant from civi. Looking for a Rome alternative and don't want to sacrifice time when near Amalfi NOT seeing the coast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are on a cruise ship, there is no way you would have time to do this properly. There is no way I would risk trying to get to Pompeii and back to Civitavecchia in one cruise day. You wouldn't have enough time to enjoy it, or really even see Pompeii!

A quick look at a map would make it clear that this is a non-starter but to be sure you get it, a check of the train timetables shows that the best case train trip (Civitavecchia to Rome to Naples on Trenitalia, followed by Naples to Pompei on Circumvesuviana) would require nearly four hours each way.

The only way this works on a port day is if you have an extremely long day at Civitavecchia - at least 18 hours.

I agree with previous posts - Pompeii is not doable from Civi if you are on a cruise ship port stop. I've done Pompeii from Rome (with few nights in Sorrento or Naples) on land trips but never from a cruise ship.

It is definitely doable from Naples.

Edited by dogs4fun

There is another way to do this. If your stops are Civitavecchia and Naples one after the other, simply spend the night between in Naples. That allows you to see both.

If Naples is the first stop, spend the day on the Amalfi Coast and then spend the night in either Sorrento or Naples.

The next morning take the train from Sorrento or Naples to Pompei, arriving shortly before opening time to give you a good three-four hours on site. Then take the train to Civitavecchia and catch up with your cruise at the end of their port day there.

If the port order is reversed, then take the train from Civitavecchia to Salerno and head out to the coast. You can get there just before noon. Enjoy your day on the coast and even spend the night there, if you wish.

The next day get to Pompei and then back to your ship in Naples.

Edited by euro cruiser

Eurocruiser gives you the one possible way of seeing it all. If you do not want to do the overnight off the ship, here is another alternative. Instead of trying to see Pompeii from Civi, go to Ostia Antica instead. You will see another ancient Roman city without the Pompeii crowds. Caveat: it is closed on Mondays.

http://www.ostiaantica.beniculturali.it/en/index.php

Ostia is one hour from Civi.

Ostia is only one hour by car, using public transit (train to Roma Ostiense, followed by the Roma-Lido line to Ostia Antica) it's more like two hours each way, a little faster if you luck into good connections.

You are right. I should have said by car. The OP should check excursions and car rentals. It would still represent a big time and money savings over either an overnight hotel or the crazy one-day trip to Pompeii. Taking the trains to Ostia would still be a big time saving and she would remain closer to the port.

Do not panic yet :). Email Sifracar.com (you can do that through their web site) which is the local Hertz franchise. They may well be able to deliver a car to the pier...even on a Sunday. But you have to ask to know.

Hank