Stargazing on deck

CCC3

Where is a good place to stargaze on the Freedom Class ships? Sailing on the Liberty next summer and would love to share he view with my DH.

My two picks would be the helipad or there's a little sundeck at the stern of the ship on deck 12 or 13 - right behind and below the Flowriders.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

I am on Liberty now. We just sailed out of Curacao yesterday and last night was among the best star gazing I have had on any cruise ship.

The helipad was ideal as long as those with forward cabins keep their curtains closed. As they had football on late, it was interesting how much effect the mid-ship big screen had on the view as a shadow was cast from the ship.

I have a promenade inside this cruise and was awaken by loud music on the Promenade at 5 AM and at least made the best of the annoyance by returning to the Helipad for a morning view and the morning star gazing was just as good.

Others will have to report on the post dry dock view from St. Tropez when it is replaced by the large open empty deck above the new panoramic ocean view cabins on deck 12. It is important that there is no back light for the best view and this may be affected by the changes being done to the ship.

Book a freighter cruise. :D

You haven't seen stars until you're in the middle of the ocean with only 5 60w running lights for hundreds of miles.

you and my spousal unit need to get together and discuss the finer points of Underway. he's always talking about finding the darkest point on the ship and looking heavenward. he says even the helipad is a crappy substitute

you and my spousal unit need to get together and discuss the finer points of Underway. he's always talking about finding the darkest point on the ship and looking heavenward. he says even the helipad is a crappy substitute

Yep, compared to a merchant ship or the Gray Funnel Line, nowhere on a cruise ship will have the same view. Too much backlighting from cabins, promenade, pool deck, and even the logo lighting.

A funny story about stargazing - in 2009 on Rhapsody repositioning from Sydney, Australia to Honolulu, Hawaii - we were about 3 days from Maui and DH and I were somewhere in the front of the ship one night looking at the stars. Some other couples were up there as well (they were from Australia) and they were very loudly complaining that they couldn't find the Southern Cross. I wasn't about to burst their bubble that they were in the Northern Hemisphere and were no longer able to see their Southern Cross. I just walked away shaking my head.

Book a freighter cruise. :D

You haven't seen stars until you're in the middle of the ocean with only 5 60w running lights for hundreds of miles.

OH sure. But for those of us who don't want to do that, or who didn't spend time on oil tankers in Alaska like my husband, at night on an open deck on a cruise ship is going to be a billion times better than in downtown just-about-anywhere! :)

A funny story about stargazing - in 2009 on Rhapsody repositioning from Sydney, Australia to Honolulu, Hawaii - we were about 3 days from Maui and DH and I were somewhere in the front of the ship one night looking at the stars. Some other couples were up there as well (they were from Australia) and they were very loudly complaining that they couldn't find the Southern Cross. I wasn't about to burst their bubble that they were in the Northern Hemisphere and were no longer able to see their Southern Cross. I just walked away shaking my head.

Why didn't you tell them? Bursting their bubble that they are annoyed b/c they've forgotten what they can and can't see from where they are? Seems like it would have *helped* them, wouldn't it?

there are some great apps to help you navigate or identify the stars, you might want to check them out for your smart phone. Sorry, I do not have any experience but a full article on them was published in my local paper.

Edited by north29

We enjoy the helipad. Surprisingly, we are often out there alone. We've never been out there with more than 2 couples.

We thought so too after the first night when we were alone up there. But then, by the sixth night, it was like a party up there on the helipad with couples bringing towels and laying down in the middle of the H.:eek:

We thought so too after the first night when we were alone up there. But then, by the sixth night, it was like a party up there on the helipad with couples bringing towels and laying down in the middle of the H.:eek:

Why am I not surprised?

Where is a good place to stargaze on the Freedom Class ships? Sailing on the Liberty next summer and would love to share he view with my DH.

My feelings as an avid amateur astronomer....

nsp1.jpg

is that you might be a bit disappointed thinking getting 500 miles away from city lights make for great viewing, but there is nowhere on the ship that will get that dark, Royal brings the city lights with you. The ships are lit up like a Disney parade float and your eyes will never adjust the way they should.

Sure sitting on the bow or stern may help, but it only takes a 1/4 second of a bright light to destroy the night vision of an adult for 15 minutes or more. Take binoculars and try to avoid looking at any ship's lights, but its real hard and limits your field of vew.

I agree, that's been the best place we've found.

I didn't think to do that on my last trip on the refurbished freedom. Still the humidity of the Caribbean really diffuses man made lights and dims the night sky.