Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

Why? You may have missed my point. Are you really suggesting that there be no line at all?

There is a line but the line between Smart Casual and Evening Chic does seem vague. Evening Chic seems transitional. I doubt in a couple of years any men will be wearing suits, tuxes or ties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why should there be?

I'm just carrying the apparent thinking of most of the folks who want no formal but just casual wear to it's logical conclusion.

Their argument has always been X has finally caught up with everyone, and that everyone should have their choice of Formal/Suit or so called "evening chic" and "smart casual". That's all well and good.

But from what I'm observing of the general populous, the trend in dress is already moving beyond "evening chic" and "smart casual" to just plain casual. Why can't the folks who want just plain casual have their choice on board X as well?

Why? You may have missed my point. Are you really suggesting that there be no line at all?

Nor will they be wearing "evening chic". They will be running between "smart casual" and "just plain casual".

There is a line but the line between Smart Casual and Evening Chic does seem vague. Evening Chic seems transitional. I doubt in a couple of years any men will be wearing suits, tuxes or ties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why should there be?

There always has to be some line/ rules in society. Are you really suggesting that there should be no line and thus it would OK for some cruisers to dine in the nude if they wished? Even without kids I find it hard to believe that you would not think there should be a line on a non clothes optional cruise.

Evening Chic has replaced the Formal Night as the topic that everyone will not agree on. It appears to me, from following all of the Formal Night threads, and now the Evening Chic thread, that since Celebrity does not enforce the stated dress code (whatever it is) , there will always be room for interpretation. One persons definition of formal or chic will differ form an other. Yet, when you look at formal occasions in our society, Presidential Inaugurations, Academy Awards, Weddings & other similar events, it is quite evident that formal attire for men is either a Tux or a suit and tie. So how do people think that when Celebrity has a formal night dress code that these are not the standards? I realize we all grow up in different environments so formal attire may have a different meaning. And the same will follow with the new "Evening Chic". As others have said on the various dress code threads, there has always been something special about dressing up for a cruise, at least on a few evenings. I am part of the crowd who enjoys the formal nights during a cruise and feel the Evening Chic dress code is the first step leading to a "dress as you want" dress code on Celebrity that will definitely change the flavor of the Celebrity cruse experience. Having said that, even though I like the more formal dress code, it is not what the dress code is that is the issue, rather the arrogance of those who choose to ignore whatever the stated dress code is, because "they paid for their cruise and they can do whatever they want". If they would check their cruise contract they would realize that it is not the case. But then, even though I have my opinions that favor adhering to Celebrity's dress code (again whatever it is), those that don't will not ruin my cruise as every day cursing is a gift to be cherished. Life is good!

Of course I don't think "clothing optional" is an option.

What I've been trying to get across is exactly how arbitrary the dress code is. Just trying to point out how apparently the vast majority of X cruisers believed Formal/suit code was a tired relic of the past, yet that same group believes that island shirt/shorts is a dress code too far.

What I don't understand is why, if I wanted to, I couldn't wear an island shirt/shorts at dinner since I feel that is quite appropriate for a Caribbean cruise.

Let me say, in full disclosure, my 13 person travel group who will be on the Reflection at the end of Jan 2016, will be wearing suits on "evening chic" nights.

But I am serious that a dress code which includes nice island shirt and shorts should be allowed. To not do so, seems to me to be arbitrary and behind the times.

There always has to be some line/ rules in society. Are you really suggesting that there should be no line and thus it would OK for some cruisers to dine in the nude if they wished? Even without kids I find it hard to believe that you would not think there should be a line on a non clothes optional cruise.

What I've been trying to get across is exactly how arbitrary the dress code is. Just trying to point out how apparently the vast majority of X cruisers believed Formal/suit code was a tired relic of the past, yet that same group believes that island shirt/shorts is a dress code too far.

What I don't understand is why, if I wanted to, I couldn't wear an island shirt/shorts at dinner since I feel that is quite appropriate for a Caribbean cruise.

Let me say, in full disclosure, my 13 person travel group who will be on the Reflection at the end of Jan 2016, will be wearing suits on "evening chic" nights.

But I am serious that a dress code which includes nice island shirt and shorts should be allowed. To not do so, seems to me to be arbitrary and behind the times.

Exactly.. a nice island shirt and shorts..hmmm...maybe a nice t shirt and pajama bottoms for dining wear too...after all, island shirt and shorts are just as arbitrary and not to allow pajama bottoms seems behind the times as well

Edited by existentialtraveler

I don't think island shirt/shorts are too far. If Celebrity thinks they are too far It is up to them to enforce that. Not my problem. I don't care if they enforce no shorts or not.

Last week I wore a long sleeved button down dress shirt and long pants on Evening Chic. Some others wore suits. Some wore polo shirts. It did not seem anyone was out of place. Any dress code is arbitrary. I didn't see any wearing shorts and it would not have bothered me if there had been there if the dress code was not enforced, but I don't have any issue with Celebrity keeping people wearing shorts out of the dining room on Evening Chic evening. I don't care if they enforce their dress policies or not. I will adhere to whatever policy they have. I like the new dress code but I followed the old one when it was in place. I don't care if others don't adhere because whatever policy is arbitrary and it is not my business to enforce.

Edited by Charles4515

Good to see that you agree that there should be a "line drawn", so it is a question of where to draw the line.

I assure you that you will never get a full agreement on where to draw that line.

For me I fully understand what is meant by evening Chic. Of course - "guest will be comfortable wearing xxxx" is not the same as required.

So the skippy slope might go to wear you want it.

I gave up on formal wear several years ago and have been wearing a sport jacket. Even when I cruise on "country club" casual cruise lines I wear a sports jacket on some nights. I gave up on bringing my tux or suite on a cruise.

When we vacation in Hawaii I never wear more than a nice Island shirt with dress shorts. To me it is part of the experience.

I know many of us are "old fashion", but I will never consider a baseball cap and a running outfit an acceptable men's outfit for evening dining.

The bottom line it is really just where to "drawn the line" and not whether you draw one.

The bottom line it is really just where to "drawn the line" and not whether you draw one.

I think where to drawn the line is up to Celebrity. They should enforce their dress code rules and if they don't, then it is on Celebrity. I do agree that some will interpret evening chic differently than others, but that happened on formal night as well and when Celebrity let folks in when not adhering to the dress code, they set the precedent and it got less and less formal over the years and the same thing could happen with evening chic.

The code is "Evening Chic".

Do any of you really think that shorts are "evening chic"?

I don't imagine that any of you would want to be a slob?????

I do imagine that people will wear what they do to a nice restaurant.

This is bordering on the ridiculous already.

If pax go too far, Celebrity may revert to Formal!

The code is "Evening Chic".

Do any of you really think that shorts are "evening chic"?

I don't imagine that any of you would want to be a slob?????

I do imagine that people will wear what they do to a nice restaurant.

This is bordering on the ridiculous already.

If pax go too far' date=' Celebrity may revert to Formal![/quote']

HaHa. Get real. Celebrity won't ever revert to formal and if passengers take to wearing shorts on Evening Chic........they will add shorts to Evening Chic!

I'm fine with the changes from formal to evening chic. So I did a google search. Through Huffington Post and The Daily Meal Jan 2014. They list the 11 restaurants in the United State that require a jacket for men. "11 Restaurants That Still Make You Wear a Jacket" It looks like Celebrity has made the right move.

Just back from a Christmas sailing on the Constellation. I'm not going to get involved in the dialogue ... simply reporting the facts.

In the MDR, many folks dressed "above" casual for every evening, including the "Formerly Formal/Evening Chic" night. On the special night, lots of little boys in long pants, dressy shirts and bow ties, lots of little girls decked out in their party dresses. Very cute.

However, many went in the opposite direction. On every night, we observed a fair number of grown men sporting gym-like shorts, T-shirts, flip-flops, and baseball caps. Most of the blue jeans I saw were the outdoor work variety. There was no monitoring of dress code whatsoever. I did notice that there was a dress code notice posted directly beside the Blu menu. Nothing at the entrance to the MDR.

There you go, just the facts.

On our Silhouette cruise in March of last year, one man in our party didn't have a jacket. The head waiter had a few Jackets put aside for Formal night and hung it on the back of his chair so that it looked as though he had brought one. I thought it so pretentious to pretend.

I think the waitstaff depending on tips are tired of being on the front line of this debate,and weighed in on ending formal night.

Now the waiters will be better dressed than the passengers in mant instants. I wonder if their dress code will change downward?

On our Silhouette cruise in March of last year, one man in our party didn't have a jacket. The head waiter had a few Jackets put aside for Formal night and hung it on the back of his chair so that it looked as though he had brought one. I thought it so pretentious to pretend.

I think the waitstaff depending on tips are tired of being on the front line of this debate,and weighed in on ending formal night.

Now the waiters will be better dressed than the passengers in mant instants. I wonder if their dress code will change downward?

It's doubtful. They do as told by management or find another job.

It's no suggestion for them.

I think the maître d and assistants has more authority than the wait staff to turn passengers away. We've tipped the maître d's often as they have provided extra services for us. However, if we feel they are not doing their job as re dress standards, there goes their tip. We usually book Aqua or Suites so there is only 2 staff involved.

Just back from a Christmas sailing on the Constellation. I'm not going to get involved in the dialogue ... simply reporting the facts.

In the MDR, many folks dressed "above" casual for every evening, including the "Formerly Formal/Evening Chic" night. On the special night, lots of little boys in long pants, dressy shirts and bow ties, lots of little girls decked out in their party dresses. Very cute.

However, many went in the opposite direction. On every night, we observed a fair number of grown men sporting gym-like shorts, T-shirts, flip-flops, and baseball caps. Most of the blue jeans I saw were the outdoor work variety. There was no monitoring of dress code whatsoever. I did notice that there was a dress code notice posted directly beside the Blu menu. Nothing at the entrance to the MDR.

There you go, just the facts.

Thanks, AC Stew. We appreciate the first hand reports.

I was wondering if Celebrity will change the waitstaff dress code, not that they would made the decision.

I doubt it. To many of the old time cruisers really enjoy seeing them dressed up. It sets their mood for an enjoyable evening and even if they let the passengers select their style of dress they would not approve.

I was wondering if Celebrity will change the waitstaff dress code, not that they would made the decision.

I doubt that the waitstaff dress code will change, as Celebrity already has a lot of money invested in the present uniforms. I am not concerned who is dressed better. Also, although I do not like seeing cruisers in shorts, t-shirts, etc. in the dining rooms, I will dress as I feel comfortable-dress casual-and not get hung up on what others have on.