a la carte changes already for escape?

LMaxwell

do hotels, airlines, other cruise lines, etc send out emails?

Yes at least to hotels and airlines. I received an email earlier this year when a hotel I had booked was closing the pool for renovations. I've received at least 5 emails of minor changes to my itinerary with Delta for flights next May. Airlines also grandfather people in when making changes to things like baggage fees. They will say, "Tickets purchased before XX date will be $y and after will be $z."

Yes at least to hotels and airlines. I received an email earlier this year when a hotel I had booked was closing the pool for renovations. I've received at least 5 emails of minor changes to my itinerary with Delta for flights next May. Airlines also grandfather people in when making changes to things like baggage fees. They will say, "Tickets purchased before XX date will be $y and after will be $z."

I also get e-mails from SW reminding me about my upcoming flight and if there are any flight changes, so yes, they do update passengers.

I also get e-mails from NCL. Not on all the changes but wanting me to book another cruise.:rolleyes:

As others have said, we really don't know if this is true. But...I will be on the Nov. 14th sailing and, when I booked, it was listed as "Complimentary." I just checked again, and it is listed as" Complimentary." In any world-- charging a cover charge is not "complimentary" I have been looking forward to going there and, will do so on my long awaited cruise this Saturday. If they try to charge a cover, I will pleasantly discuss my concerns. If they insist, I will go and dine (afterall, we all know that the poor schmucks working there aren't at fault) then, I plan to dispute the charge once home. Is this a lot of effort over $10 (for 2)...absolutely! Will I do it...absolutely!! It is the principle. It would be a bait and switch and, we shouldn't just accept it. Just as with the food takeout issue....we do have a voice and need to use it.

For what it is worth...that is my opinion.....but, let's just hope it is a false rumor.

I'm willing to wait a few more days and see what happens on the 14th regarding BOTH Margaritaville and a la carte charges at specialty dining.

That said, if Margaritaville goes to a cover charge or a la carte charge format is it completely indefensible as that has been advertised as complimentary and included in your cruise fare from day one. None of the supporters here will have any defense for it.

What do people expect. When the DSC went up twice and the dining plan changed twice in as many months, I thought to myself what a marketing mess! What business would have such piecemeal plan to implement change?

But the apologists, (AKA investors), continue to bully those who had the audacity to complain that their experience is differing from what they had purchased. If you are critical, you get lambasted.

Now I wonder if the little repeated devaluations weren't part of the plan. Confusion, differing perk policies depending on when you booked, no disambiguation makes me think that they will just keep pushing until people

demand they stop.

I think it ironic that a $4.95 surcharge may be the straw that breaks the back for many people. For me it was the second DSC raise. People are already looking for other lines on which to spend their cruising dollars. I hope the investors, together with first time cruisers can fill 30,000 cabins a week because the loyalists are dropping like flies. They are shooting themselves in the foot with their blind discipleship.

Personally, I predict that by 2017 many of the changes will have been reversed. Once bookings are down and the reviews are in the stock prices will drop and hopefully Del Rio will be held accountable.

I would love to have my favorite cruise line back. For now, I will sail my last booked, not any FCC and shop around. I'll try CCL, X, and RCCL. But there will be no more Feestyle cruising for me.

Look at the recent reviews for the Star and the Escape. People are mad.

What do people expect. When the DSC went up twice and the dining plan changed twice in as many months, I thought to myself what a marketing mess! What business would have such piecemeal plan to implement change?

But the apologists, (AKA investors), continue to bully those who had the audacity to complain that their experience is differing from what they had purchased. If you are critical, you get lambasted.

Now I wonder if the little repeated devaluations weren't part of the plan. Confusion, differing perk policies depending on when you booked, no disambiguation makes me think that they will just keep pushing until people

demand they stop.

I think it ironic that a $4.95 surcharge may be the straw that breaks the back for many people. For me it was the second DSC raise. People are already looking for other lines on which to spend their cruising dollars. I hope the investors, together with first time cruisers can fill 30,000 cabins a week because the loyalists are dropping like flies. They are shooting themselves in the foot with their blind discipleship.

Personally, I predict that by 2017 many of the changes will have been reversed. Once bookings are down and the reviews are in the stock prices will drop and hopefully Del Rio will be held accountable.

I would love to have my favorite cruise line back. For now, I will sail my last booked, not any FCC and shop around. I'll try CCL, X, and RCCL. But there will be no more Feestyle cruising for me.

Nicely stated.

I'm willing to wait a few more days and see what happens on the 14th regarding BOTH Margaritaville and a la carte charges at specialty dining.

That said, if Margaritaville goes to a cover charge or a la carte charge format is it completely indefensible as that has been advertised as complimentary and included in your cruise fare from day one. None of the supporters here will have any defense for it.

Pretty sure they will.

demand they stop.

Very nicely said. I agree totally.

I can't name the one change that left a sour taste in my mouth. I think for me it was the combination of them all that once totaled up is mind boggling and not good for the consumer at all.

January 2nd will be our first cruise with NCL, on the Escape, and I have seen nothing but price increases and unfavourable changes since we booked. This is very disconcerting as the ship hasn't even had its first official sailing yet. I have been trying to familiarize myself with the Escape and it's amenities, but its difficult to keep track when there's one modification after another. As one new to NCL to begin with, it's a little overwhelming and there's still just over a month and a half to go. I'm hoping that the prices stabilize long enough that I can figure out what's going on. Just when I think I have a handle on it, something else gets adjusted. I hope it stops soon.

We're in the exact same position. Escape in January will be our first NCL cruise. I was very excited to try a brand new ship. But I just don't like the way the company handles changes so haphazardly. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Will a $5 cover for a meal break us? No. But when I was doing my initial research several months ago I should have listened more to reviews that emphasized the same thing. You book a cruise with certain expectations in mind, but when it's time to sail there is no telling what kind of product you will receive.

We are only a few days away from being able to cancel for a full refund. If I book with X right now, I would spend about $100 more per person on base fare, far better ports, then get included grats, $300obc, drink package and free internet. And I'll know what product I'll get when it times to get on board. It kind of seems like a no brainer?

I always get emails from airlines and hotels regarding changes that are going to affect my wallet.
Do they email you when the restaurants in the hotel change prices on their menu or do they email you when the sundries shop changes prices? Just wondering, because I've never gotten an email when any prices are changed at a hotel.

Do they email you when the restaurants in the hotel change prices on their menu or do they email you when the sundries shop changes prices? Just wondering, because I've never gotten an email when any prices are changed at a hotel.

Not the same thing. Close... but no. Now, if the hotel stay included free breakfast when we booked, I'd expect an email if they suddenly changed breakfast to $5/pp.

If it does end up having a cover charge, I think it's really a poor way of conducting business. They have been advertising it as complimentary for a while now, and they should stick with it being as what they advertised it being for at least a year

To me, NCL cruising is just FAR too confusing - with the Ultimate Dining Package, Specialty Dining packages, what restaurants are included or not included in said dining packages, the a la carte restaurants, etc

I feel like you have to have a degree in NCL Cruising to sail with them.

I cruise because I love the ocean and I want a simplified vacation. I don't want to have to stare at the terms and conditions for hours or be confused by changes just makes vacation planning SO complicated

Not the same thing. Close... but no. Now, if the hotel stay included free breakfast when we booked, I'd expect an email if they suddenly changed breakfast to $5/pp.
It is the same thing. When you book a cruise, your contract is for your transportation and ordinary cruise food, nothing more nothing less. This means that prices on the ship can change at will. When you book a hotel, your contract is for your room, nothing more and nothing less. If they change prices within the hotel, it is the same thing as a cruise line changing prices.

Folks keep throwing around bait and switch, I sure with someone would go to an attorney and file a law suit for bait and switch and see how far it gets them.

Hey, no one likes pricing being added or being raised, but if you look at all the cruise lines, they are doing it as well. NCL might be doing it more, but the reason they are, is because they can. But what everyone doesn't seem to get, is that you have the power to stop them. You can either not go to the restaurants who have added a charge or the charges you don't like, don't purchase drinks if you don't like the additional 3 percent gratuity, etc. or don't sail with NCL, but I seriously doubt any of that will happen.

I'm probably turned off less by a $5 pp cover charge (if rumor proves to be true) than by standing in line for more than a few minutes on a cruise vacation for what I understand to be a chain burger joint. The only negativity that would hang over this for me is the apparent poor planning on NCL's part - but I'll withhold judgment for when speculation is put to rest.

Overall, I'm rather excited for where NCL is landing with food (food republic, bayamo, new menu at supper club venue) & beverage (yay to beer variety at the brew house!) options on the Escape. I also like the new variety showing up from the Margaritaville menus that have been posted - especially for breakfast. If there's little waiting or a nominal cover charge, it'll be fun to try.

If you're cruising on 1/30, stop by and introduce yourself. I'll either be at the Brew House or not standing in line for Margaritaville. :)

We're in the exact same position. Escape in January will be our first NCL cruise. I was very excited to try a brand new ship. But I just don't like the way the company handles changes so haphazardly. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Will a $5 cover for a meal break us? No. But when I was doing my initial research several months ago I should have listened more to reviews that emphasized the same thing. You book a cruise with certain expectations in mind, but when it's time to sail there is no telling what kind of product you will receive.

We are only a few days away from being able to cancel for a full refund. If I book with X right now, I would spend about $100 more per person on base fare, far better ports, then get included grats, $300obc, drink package and free internet. And I'll know what product I'll get when it times to get on board. It kind of seems like a no brainer?

Sounds like you've found a better deal...I'd say take it!

I'm with you here...my first NCL cruise is in less than a month and while I'm not too fond of the way communication has been handled, I'm still choosing to take this vacation as it comes and judge it based on my enjoyment of the week.

Just as an aside, if folks think by going somewhere other than NCL they're immune from the "changes after booking", you should look on the other boards around here. There was a HUGE outcry recently with Celebrity over their adding overnights (and thereby taking away certain ports) to some itineraries after folks had booked.

demand they stop.

Well done!! I hope this isn't my first and last NCL cruise...

I agree I have been very disappointed in all the changes some effect me and some don't.

When we first booked our Escape cruise we wanted our friends to join us but they can not plan that far ahead. We have stopped asking them if they want to come with us because keeping all this straight with all the a la carte prices is just so frustrating. It would be their first NCL cruise.

Now I am not going to cancel my Escape cruise over a 4.95 service charge but I have learned that the NCL product I book may or may not be the NCL product I sail.

NCL is trying to live up to its Nickel and Diming reputation

Just as an aside, if folks think by going somewhere other than NCL they're immune from the "changes after booking", you should look on the other boards around here. There was a HUGE outcry recently with Celebrity over their adding overnights (and thereby taking away certain ports) to some itineraries after folks had booked.

But folks always think the grass is greener on the other side, that is until they get their and they see it is the same grass. The ovenights/itintery changes are the outcry now, but there have been others recently as well on Celebrity. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'll be perfectly frank and I guess its topic in a completely different thread and forum - But I don't go on cruises to just eat, I go on them to relax as well to have fun in the ports and different activities /entertainment like shows on the ship. Especially now, that I don't have an appetite anymore due to the side effect of getting treatment for my medical condition. All the news about the extra fees / costs is like meh or whatever to me - I didn't eat alot before, definitely can't now.

Crummy that an actual space that was originally billed complimentary is now charging, if the rumor is true (Margaretaville is completely separate company offering / selling meals on NCL) - but, I guess it depends on how much really want to eat there everyday. Otherwise, it like any other dining place on a cruise ship - can eat/pay there or not...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

If it does end up having a cover charge, I think it's really a poor way of conducting business. They have been advertising it as complimentary for a while now, and they should stick with it being as what they advertised it being for at least a year

To me, NCL cruising is just FAR too confusing - with the Ultimate Dining Package, Specialty Dining packages, what restaurants are included or not included in said dining packages, the a la carte restaurants, etc

I feel like you have to have a degree in NCL Cruising to sail with them.

I cruise because I love the ocean and I want a simplified vacation. I don't want to have to stare at the terms and conditions for hours or be confused by changes just makes vacation planning SO complicated

This. The whole point to cruising for us is the simplicity. The relaxation. I stopped going to Disney parks because I got tired of how much *work* it is to figure it all out, make all the plans, micro-manage each day, budget every dime daily, etc. etc. I want to show up and enjoy. That's it. Is a small cover charge at Margaritaville going to kill us? No. Not at all. If $20 for my family of 4 to eat there is going to break us then I'm sure I shouldn't be there at all. BUT, we're onboard for TWO weeks. More dollars filtering out at every turn....and it seems to be another day another dollar with all the changes at this point....it's less and less the simple, inclusive experience we are looking for. I'm sad. Disappointed. I don't want to be!

I've watched a lot of NCL cruisers complain of changes since we booked our first NCL cruise 8 months ago. For the most part the changes seemed trivial. The Jimmy Buffet "theme" was a huge draw for us. Margaritaville was advertised as complimentary dining. Sitting on deck with a cheeseburger-in-paradise sounded like, well, paradise. This is a HUGE takeaway for us. I would accept free breakfast/lunch, changing over to a fee-based meal at night. But come on, no top deck complimentary grill? Would not be happy.

Excellent post[emoji41]

It is the same thing. When you book a cruise, your contract is for your transportation and ordinary cruise food, nothing more nothing less. This means that prices on the ship can change at will. When you book a hotel, your contract is for your room, nothing more and nothing less. If they change prices within the hotel, it is the same thing as a cruise line changing prices.

Folks keep throwing around bait and switch, I sure with someone would go to an attorney and file a law suit for bait and switch and see how far it gets them.

Hey, no one likes pricing being added or being raised, but if you look at all the cruise lines, they are doing it as well. NCL might be doing it more, but the reason they are, is because they can. But what everyone doesn't seem to get, is that you have the power to stop them. You can either not go to the restaurants who have added a charge or the charges you don't like, don't purchase drinks if you don't like the additional 3 percent gratuity, etc. or don't sail with NCL, but I seriously doubt any of that will happen.

They did spend the last year advertising this as a complimentary venue included in your cruise fare.

That doesn't count for anything?

Why have advertising?