why are booking conditions so different in UK

lenbest

When we make a booking in UK you are not able to change your mind without losing your deposit anytime after making the booking.

If you book a guarantee cabin it can never be changed after it has been allocated even though others are available.

I also think most of the time we pay more for our cruises,and I do not think we are allowed to use american TA to make a booking or have I got it all wrong?

It's not just the UK that has different terms and conditions. Check out posts by our Aussie cousins and you'll find the same questions. Just remember that if you book with a TA in the USA you are at the mercy of currency fluctuations. What seems like a great deal at the time of booking may not be such a bargain when final payment comes around. For us the main advantage of booking in the US is being able to cancel and get the deposit refunded. Some travel agents do charge a penalty though so make sure you ask before booking. As for the booking conditions being different, the theory is that we have more consumer protection here.

In the day of no internet, UK was restricted in using TAs in the UK. Now I use the internet to buy many things. I am in the USA and often buy Foreign items on the internet. Why not book online using any online TA including the one located outside the UK.

The answer to the question is "Because Celebrity UK can get away with it".

Stuart

Absolutely. The word has to get out but it's slow. All points are completely valid in relation to the perceived risk versus benefit. For me the risk is negligible. Our cruise coming up (b2b Equinox) eventually cost us about £100 more due to the exchange rate and slightly stronger USD. However, for that we got $500 OBC PER CRUISE and the flexibility in cancelling, changes in cabin etc etc. Not to mention a significantly lower rate to begin with compared to booking with the cruiseline either directly or with a UK TA. I am all for supporting the local economy when it doesn't impact me to the tune of thousands.

Doing your homework is the key. Our Eclipse Med cruise was cheaper to book in the UK.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

I believe the difference is because the UK highly regulates travel. In the UK you get more protections, but have to pay the piper.

yep. Admittedly many of the protections are negligible in today;s world, as the laws haven't kept up, but this is a big reason why.

Why does a Starbucks Coffee cost more in the UK than the US? Why does a BigMac cost more?

With regard to currency fluctuations, that is of course a two-way street. It could help you or it could hurt you, though most people seem to focus on the hurt.

I imagine if you want to hedge the risk there must be some way to do it. Not being in the UK (or Oz etc.) I don't know what might be available or what the cost would be, but there must be some way to buy a US dollar denominated instrument that can be liquidated later, thus neutralizing any currency movement that occurs during that period.

In the end, probably the best solution is just to go naked (financially speaking) and keep your fingers crossed.

Why does a Starbucks Coffee cost more in the UK than the US?

We ask ourselves the same question everyday, especially considering they are constantly in the news over here due to them allegedly avoiding paying sufficient taxes ;).

OP,

Try changing your view to the US version of CC from the main board (there's a flag in the bottom corner) and look under the deals. It should show you several US companies which advertise on CC ;).

OP, check out a company which sells not only cruises but holidays as well. They have an 0800 phone number so you can speak to someone to discuss your requirements. As for this agency then, If you were to buy a coffee here in the UK you would have a "take away". In the US it would be "to go". Hope you get the drift.

To say that the reason for price being more in the UK is because of consumer protection is very misleading

The consumer legislation in the UK will cost Celebrity one of 2 things either

1) A bond to be held in trust in case the company go under to repatriate customers or provide a refund to others (no cost if not used)

2) An insurance policy to cover repatriations and refunds (cost)

I do not know which Celebrity has chosen.

Celebrity are members of ABTA this costs them a membership fee.

However this is Celebrity's choice as they can legally do business in the UK without being members.

They know though that the UK consumer has had it drummed into them that

booking with an ABTA member is safer than booking a non ABTA company as

they are required to abide by the ABTA code of conduct, which is basically a

restatement of the existing laws.

They do fine members who breach the code of conduct but not very often

They will give limited advice to consumers, try to settle disputes with customers and ABTA members and run a arbitration service

But the general advice is if ABTA offer you arbitration the answer should be "no thank you I'll take it to court"

Remember that ABTA are there to represent the interest of their members first and foremost.

As far as deposits go there is no legal reason why deposits can not be refundable but the law does state that they can make them non refundable if they so choose.

There is no legal reason why guarantee cabins and moving cabins within class can not be made but neither is there a legal requirement for them to allow it.

Price drops no legal reason why not they just choose not to

Celebrity sets the price at what they think the market in the UK can take and take full advantage of the way consumer law is written.

Consumer law has very little or no bearing on price, as shown by other cruise lines selling in the UK when there pricing is better than the price in the US

We live in Canada and book on the US site. We always check prices.

I believe it is a case of charging what the traffic will bear.

My sister did a Baltic cruise this summer. She booked in the UK instead of Canada/US because it was 15 percent cheaper. This is unusual.

We did an RCI Australian cruise last Feb. Booked two weeks prior to departure while we were travelling in Oz. We booked direct with RCI Australia. The price was 30 percent cheaper than our TA could provide us from the US/Can site.

It pays to shop. But the one think that I do not like with the UK site is the T's&C's. We like to take advantage of price decreases but this tends not to be a big issue since we typically book our cruises inside the final payment window.

Edited by iancal

OP, check out a company which sells not only cruises but holidays as well. They have an 0800 phone number so you can speak to someone to discuss your requirements. As for this agency then, If you were to buy a coffee here in the UK you would have a "take away". In the US it would be "to go". Hope you get the drift.

And you'd be having a vacation, not a holiday, of course, on that basis.

Stuart

Bletchley would be proud of you all!

I forgot to post yesterday after I realised that my main Cruise Critic was the US one. This is why I receive the American TA offers I suspect.

There is another TA much in vogue. I even phoned them but they couldn't accept my changing the booking to them in the 60 days window as I live in France.

I would certainly try there in future if I wasn't in my last minute lets go phase.

We have now booked Royal (and Celebrity) cruises in THREE different currencies on three different country websites for Royal.

Usually in the UK, their website defaults to the GBP version and it can be a pain to get Euro or US sites and prices.

But there is an easy way if you go via a certain price watch website. It has the word cruise and the word fish in the title so an easy google.

The reason we usually use a US website to book (Royal or a TA) is that we can always claim money back if the price drops - and if you monitor the price, it can drop more than once.

We have a cruise booked for next year a TA and need a one way flight,

Via the (Royal this tiem) UK site i get the new cloice air option ( air2..)

it will quote me flights but won't let me book as it comes up in US$ or CAN$

has anyone managed to do this? from teh UK

When i try to book it quotes me around $500 for a one way BA flight approx £300

when i phone RCL ( and i assume celebrity) UK line they quote me £650 for the same flight

or more than double

I'd never thought of trying the royal US site, as i assume UK customers would be blocked.

does anyone have the link to get it to work as it always defaults to the UK site for RCL and celebrity

Very recently a significant change has come about for those of us booking in £'s from the UK "WHILE ON-BOARD ONLY"

If you book a cruise onboard now it now comes with a new condition that you can move it to another booking without penalty and take the benefits you had with the orignal booking with you to a new one.

This change however has to be made before final payment (56 days in UK).

So therefore if you have reason to cancel or change your booking, you now can.

I've just made the most of this benefit while on RF last week and booked several cruises for 16/17 and took the OBC for the cruise I was on.

But I stress this is ONLY for bookings made on-board.