New to Princess - questions on Island

Tipsy252

Hi we are new to Princess and have some questions re cabins. We just booked the xmas & new year panama canal cruise on Island.

We have E72x which I think is fully covered? On some of the photos it looks like it could be a bit claustaphobic, being so enclosed, is this the case? Another question relates to noise and vibration, do you think there will be much noise as we are at the aft. Also vibration, heard a lot of discussion on the boards about this and not having been this far back before, just wondered how it was?

Also on princess can you get breakfast delivered to the cabin and does it cost? We love having breakfast outside on a sea day. I am assuming that one of the mdrs will be open for breakfast if we choose to go there, I don'like the hussle and bussle of the buffet in the morning!

Looking forward to our cruise as first Princess and first Panama Canal trip. :)

Also on princess can you get breakfast delivered to the cabin and does it cost? We love having breakfast outside on a sea day. I am assuming that one of the mdrs will be open for breakfast if we choose to go there, I don'like the hussle and bussle of the buffet in the morning!

Room service is free 24/7, except for Pizza ($3).

Breakfast is more continental than not. You can get a "McMuffin" type sandwich, cereal, fruit, pastries, coffee, tea, juice.

Some have reported success ordering "off menu". I've done it twice...got bacon once and nothing the second time. YMMV:D

That area of the ship does have covered balconies. On a Panama Canal cruise you will really want a covered balcony because the sun is so very hot. I don't find the covered balconies claustrophobic at all. After all, you're looking out at a vast ocean. Cruise deckhands.com has a nice section on covered vs. uncovered balconies for the Island and Coral. You have to do a little digging to find it but it's very helpful.

Our first cruise was through the Panama Canal on the Coral. We were in E721 (an inside). These was minimal noise and vibration from the engines. We also did not hear noise from the lounge.

As for the minimal noise and vibration, it was comforting to know that we were still moving along.

It's when those vibrations and noise stop-an you're not in port- that you should worry...

Thanks for your answers. Not sure about the fully covered balcony, we are on the port side and doing a West to East cruise through the panama canal, would we get any sun on the balcony? Or is it more morning or afternoon sun? I like to sit out on the balcony on some sea days and catch some rays, as we don't get much in the UK. :D

Good to know we can get some breakfast items in the cabin if we feel like it.

One of the MDRs will be open for breakfast each day. On port days, generally none of the MDRs will offer lunch. But if you want to eat lunch on board on a port day, you can go to the Horizon Court (the buffet), or the poolside pizzeria or grill (my hubby really likes the chicken sandwiches from there). If the International Cafe has been installed during a dry dock (the Island didn't have it when we went on our 2005 cruise), that's a good place to get a light meal.

... we are on the port side and doing a West to East cruise through the panama canal, would we get any sun on the balcony? Or is it more morning or afternoon sun? I like to sit out on the balcony on some sea days and catch some rays, as we don't get much in the UK. :D

Port side should be great for that cruise. You'll be heading mostly south for the first 10 days, so the morning sun will be shining on you, and you'll be spared the afternoon sun. Going through the canal, though, you'll actually be heading northwest, so you'll get blasted in the afternoon (by the sun, I mean).

We are on the cruise before yours, heading in the opposite direction, and we chose starboard, mostly based on the sun.

Jim

If the International Cafe has been installed during a dry dock (the Island didn't have it when we went on our 2005 cruise)' date=' that's a good place to get a light meal.[/quote']

No International Cafe, but I've seen reports that Sabatini's is offering an Alfredo's sit-down pizza lunch many days on Island and Coral. We're huge Alfredo's fans after our last cruise on the Grand.

Jim

That area of the ship does have covered balconies. On a Panama Canal cruise you will really want a covered balcony because the sun is so very hot. I don't find the covered balconies claustrophobic at all. After all, you're looking out at a vast ocean. Cruise deckhands.com has a nice section on covered vs. uncovered balconies for the Island and Coral. You have to do a little digging to find it but it's very helpful.

I just noticed what autocorrect did to my post. That is supposed to say cruisedeckplans.com. Stupid iPad!