What are the "little things" the accountants think we'll never miss when they're gone

Shoalwater

Sure' date=' I think it is "nice" that you and many people are able to celebrate your form of religious worship. I just don't feel that I should have to financially support your religious observances.

When I joined my local church, there was a pledge that I would support it thru my "prayers, presence, gifts, and service." In plain English, that means that I'm agreeing to pay for the ability to worship there. If you want to have your particular variety of worship experience available on the ship, I also think you should expect to pay for it rather than expecting that every passenger on the ship will be underwriting your particular form of worship. When you attend worship on land, are you not expected to contribute financially to the pay of the priest, the maintenance of the building, the payment of the organist, etc? If so, then why would you expect the services to be available to you at no charge on the ship? The "pay" of the priest on the ship is the occupancy of a cabin and the financial loss to the cruise line of not being able to sell this cabin. This is being provided by the increase in cabin prices for all on board (or indirectly by the shareholders of the cruise line). My point is that I should not be expected to pay for your religious celebration regardless of how many people choose to attend and whether they are cruisers or crew. If you wish to have this available on board, you should be willing to pay for your share of the actual cost. Since the room is "full," the per person charge should be rather low.

Alternatively, if I am expected to pay for a priest to be on board for your form of worship, I should be able to request and receive an appropriate officiant from my religion. This service is not provided to me and never has been on any cruise line.

Yes, I recognize that many crew are from predominantly Catholic countries, but unless Princess is unusual in crew hiring, many others are from Muslim countries as well as other non-Catholic countries. Again, if the cruise line provides a Catholic priest, should they not also recognize these other religious choices among the crew?[/quote']

This argument could be applied to virtually every good and service on the ship. Those who never go to the stage shows are subsidizing those who do. Why not charge passengers $2 a head at the door of the theater? Pay to play. I am not Elite. But a portion of my fare goes toward paying for their bennies like free laundry and the food at their cocktail parties. So perhaps Elites should fund their own soirees. Those who do not eat lobster are helping to pay for the lobster tails consumed by others. Why not assess a $3 surcharge on those who order lobster? And on and on. Not every person avails themselves of every good or service on the ship. And in some instances like Elite benefits, the majority of passengers are actually forbidden from partaking. Yet we all pay. I find it difficult (and overly contentious) to put religion in its own pay-to-play category.

Maybe because I started cruising seriously in 2004 I expect way too little. My thought has always been that a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day back at home/work.

When I go on a cruise I expect good food, good service, some activities to pass the time on sea days and the ability to relax and not worry about anything. I have always gotten that and more on each cruise I have been on. We have tried different lines and have preferences on one line over another but those usually have to do with the core values of the line itself. We like Princess because of the demographic that sails on Princess and the way the ships are setup and designed (our first cruise on the Royal will be in February so that may change :) ).

If you look at all aspects of travel things have degraded service-wise over the years. Take a look at air travel where back in the day it used to be a very enjoyable experience to fly, now it's just about how many people can be shoved into the steel tube.

I think it's great to try other cruise lines and find things you enjoy and make your vacation better because at the end of the day that's what it's all about. But for us it's more about getting away, not having to make my own bed or cook my meals. Guess maybe I'm very simple minded and easy to please.

Just my thoughts about our cruise experiences, I certainly will never judge anyone on what they need to make their vacation enjoyable for them.

Conditioner!!! I am actually happy that Princess has gone with the more environmentally friendly option of shampoo and body wash dispensers but conditioning shampoo is not a functional substitute for my long(ish) hair. I really liked their old products but they can save so much plastic with the dispensers. Granted, we have only been cruising for about 5 years but the lack of conditioner is the only amenity that I've seen go away that irks me. I don't like that I have to remember to bring my own. Conditioner is something you tend to find in most 2.5* hotels and I would consider Princess hotel services to be nicer than your average 2.5* hotel and thus I expect their amenities to reflect that. But, it is what it is and it certainly won't stop me from sailing Princess.

As for the decreased show times, my husband and I both prefer the shorter shows.

OMG! This. I hate 'conditioning' shampoo so much. That cannot be acceptable to anyone with hair past their ears. We're getting ready to go on a 15 day cruise. I'm thinking I need to take a full size bottle with me. I definitely don't want to have to buy it on the ship--been there and done that!

Maybe because I started cruising seriously in 2004 I expect way too little. My thought has always been that a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day back at home/work.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! ;)

Alex, we have a winner!!

Hmmm. Just looked on the internet and noted that there are about 4,200 religions in the world. If a cruise ship had a leader for each religion it would more then fill most ships. We understand that everyone thinks their own religion should be represented (which is understandable) but this might be disputed by those from religions not represented.

Hank

Perfect response.

From what I understand on the HAL boards, those thinner tissues are actually more expensive than the softer ones. Cruise lines had to make the switch because passengers kept flushing them down the toilet, which would cause stoppages. The toilet tissue is specially designed to break apart and not clog.

Apparently they tried experimenting with signage in the bathrooms, and moving the box of tisssues out of the bathroom, but no matter what they did, the sifter tissues wound up going in the toilet and then clogging.

As someone who took her first Princess cruise last month (but twenty or so cruises on other lines) I found their service outstanding. We are planning our next Princess cruise in the spring.

If someone is so religious that they feel the need to have a priest around during Christmas or Easter, one has to ask why they are sailing during such holy days. :D

I was wondering the same thing:)

I also agree that the move to pumps in the shower are more environmentally friendly. The last Captain's Circle party we attended had waiters circulating with trays of hot snacks.

We have noticed the lack of entertainment though....last week on the Caribbean Princess there were times with no live music anywhere....but according to the Patter we could enjoy 'pre-recorded' music in Fusion or Wheelhouse.....lame!

Personally, I won't bemoan small changes as long as prices remain low and port choices remain intriguing. With low prices, I can spend my own money to fill in the gaps. No pillow chocolates? I'll spend $2.50 and bring my own. No sommelier but a generous personal wine policy and low corkage fee? I'll select my own wines and bring them on board. Bathroom tissue not to my liking? I'll spend a buck and bring my favorite brand. Don't like shampoo with conditioner? Bring your preferred brand on board. Most of the "little things" that are getting eroded can be replicated to your complete satisfaction by making a 15 minute stop at Target or Walgreens that will cost less than $20. Now shrinking balconies and Promenades? Those are things that I cannot fix, so they matter far more to me.

I remember back in the day, before any time dining.. when you got to your assigned table their was a name plate their with your name. The one I am looking at now is like a 2 x 3 silver picture frame . it had hearts on it, our name and table number on it. I think the one I am kept dates back to the sun princess 1998, an Alaskan cruise

At the end of the day I wouldn't want the little things back if it meant the prices came back too. We now pay far less for our cruise vacation than 20 years ago! Last year we spent nearly three months at sea in total .... There is nothing that has been cut that I can't live without. Although I do miss the 'champagne' ... French or otherwise! Always opt for a glass of red wine these days at welcome aboard ... A cheap red will always beat a cheap fiz.

Do Princess still do the officers lunch for Elite. P&O offer everyone at Caribbean level (equivalent of Elite) an invitation but the last time on Princess it was just the top 40 most sailed Elite passengers. We missed out by days but got an invitation after someone had to cancel. The wine was excellent, as was the food. With a 28 day cruise it would have been possible to have more than one event to cater for all at Elite level but that was not going to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the pricing but I don't mind paying for the small stuff that adds value to my vacation. One thing princess has done is added the cool stuff but charges you on the back side. The crown grill comes to mind and looking forward to trying salty's dog. The sanctuary is a nice option as well. I think the accountants not only have eliminated some of the small stuff, but have added opitions which increase your total cruise expense. Its like having on board excursions.

Its all a matter of perspective, but I do miss what made princess very special and wouldn't mind paying more for them.

...... Most of the "little things" that are getting eroded can be replicated to your complete satisfaction by making a 15 minute stop at Target or Walgreens that will cost less than $20. Now shrinking balconies and Promenades? Those are things that I cannot fix, so they matter far more to me.

Agreed. Well said Jimmy.

Norris

We have been on Christmas cruises for the last 5 years. We go to midnight mass . It is always full and many many of the people there are the crew. Don't you think it is nice for them to be able to attend worship on the holidays? It isn't like this priest is there and no one is attending.

Going on our first Christmas cruise and wondering where do they hold the Midnight Mass? Thanks.

I'm in my mid 30s and will be going on my 6th Princess Cruise here in a few months (I think they made up some loyalty level called Ruby). I don't know if I've seen much change but I definitely agree with some of Times Prince's list on things that would add to the experience.

I think this thread should get back to your original intent - what are the things missing that used to enhance our cruise experience.

Please note before reading that we love Princess Cruises and plan to be back.

• Steel drum and island bands on deck playing throughout the day in the Caribbean
  • Deck party (not present on most of the cruises we've taken in past years
  • More than 3 bands onboard - covering a variety of dance and listening styles
  • Remember the Sun Princess class ships' Disco for the young and boisterous?
  • Really live bands - not two people with a synthesizer instead of musicians
  • 9 hole mini-golf course
  • Printed TV guide
  • Princess Patter the first day giving all the shows and movies for the whole cruise, and when they will be.

That said, we'll be back.

We love to catch up with movies on sea days, as do many in our age demographic. But the lack of printed TV guides is maddening! You may catch a few minutes of a movie and want to watch it later in its entirety, but when?? If you take the 15-20 minutes to scroll down the Guide channel on the TV, it's not listed! There must be cut-backs to keep cruise prices at today's reasonable prices, but why this one? I'd cheerfully pay a few extra dollars to know what I'm watching and when I might see it again. With all the negatives about the Royal class ships, 'on-demand TV' was one of the best features and I hope it goes fleet-wide. And btw, we'd much rather watch a movie in the Princess Theater than on MUTS. Very few were shown this past TA.

At the end of the day I wouldn't want the little things back if it meant the prices came back too. We now pay far less for our cruise vacation than 20 years ago! Last year we spent nearly three months at sea in total .... There is nothing that has been cut that I can't live without. Although I do miss the 'champagne' ... French or otherwise! Always opt for a glass of red wine these days at welcome aboard ... A cheap red will always beat a cheap fiz.

Do Princess still do the officers lunch for Elite. P&O offer everyone at Caribbean level (equivalent of Elite) an invitation but the last time on Princess it was just the top 40 most sailed Elite passengers. We missed out by days but got an invitation after someone had to cancel. The wine was excellent, as was the food. With a 28 day cruise it would have been possible to have more than one event to cater for all at Elite level but that was not going to happen.

On the last cruise I did there were 547 Elite on board so I can understand why they are making it the top 40 with so many people reaching that level. ...perhaps they need to put in another tier especially as there was 722 Platinum on board as well.

Haha yes to the red as well.

Interesting as we had printed TV guides on the last three cruises I have done with Princess and also movies in the Vista Lounge

Just back from a B2B on Golden Princess. Printed TV guides both cruises, including the 2 night cruise.

As a young chap there were three subjects I was told were not discussed in polite company. Sex, Religion and Politics.:)

On the last cruise I did there were 547 Elite on board so I can understand why they are making it the top 40 with so many people reaching that level. ...perhaps they need to put in another tier especially as there was 722 Platinum on board as well.

Haha yes to the red as well.

That was a high percentage. A good testimony to the Princess's loyalty programme and the percentage of repeat cruisers. P&O do take a whole restaurant over for the lunch however and are able to invite all that have achieved the Caribbean tier. I hope this perk continues as we much prefer it to an evening cocktail party. It's something to look forward to on a sea day. Hope the accountants are reading this.

Missed the slippers--I also remember getting one's with logo stitched on top.

Amen to having a printed TV menu.

MTP friend used to get a lovely destination charger plate that would be sent to their home.

Luggage tags.

Loved the artwork on the menus (pre digital days) but didn't need to bring a stack home for keepsakes.

Edited by 8dimsum

Many of us loyal Princess cruisers were taken a bit aback when Shogun announced he was abandoning Princess for other lines. Several responded with comments that in general echoed Steve's message. This got me to thinking what changes we have seen after 31 Princess cruises, and why we're also experimenting with Viking Star. Before I get flamed...my list is about what has been eliminated, and not making a value judgement about any particular item. We're not totally abandoning Princess either, just wondering what specific things are now gone.

I will also echo the observations made in Shogun's thread about the lack of enforcement of the printed dress code at dinner in the MDR. I like casual, but really...a tank top, hip hugging ratty Bermuda shorts with underwear riding above the low beltline, and floppy sneakers, no socks among a group of four 20-something males at dinner? No complaints about what a person wants to wear, but a complaint about where they are wearing it and contravening the "rules". Sorely out of place IMHO.

My starter list of those little things the cost accountants sitting in their comfortable, windowed, ocean side conference room in Santa Clara might have drummed up that we wouldn't miss if they cut them out are (I made up the window, ocean side bit for jocularity :D). What are yours?:

• Catholic priest on-board for Christmas and Easter.
  • Dropping the bridge instructor/coordinator on longer cruises and letting the passengers run it themselves.
  • Eliminating the little souvenir wine glass from the wine tasting.
  • Not having nibbles (nuts, pretzels, etc.) on the tables at the Captain Circle party.

Not just Princess. We have extensively traveled with RCCL. During spring break the girls came in with...well shorts that were like the underwear up...etc. I won't even comment it was terrible. All the women watched them "parade" in and commented; however, the men saw nothing wrong...including the head waiters or the MD. We have no children, but if we did, we wouldn't be happy with how our daughters came to the dining room. My hubby wears a nice shirt an pants because he gets warm and can't do the tie and coat when the dining room is so short. I wear my gown. I think it comes down to class. After all the years we have cruised and different lines I am OK with him doing what he feels comfy with and what I feel comfy with. Many women are not dressed well on formal and he is neat and clean and we have a table for 2...not affecting anyone else.