What are the "little things" the accountants think we'll never miss when they're gone

Shoalwater

In regard to the lack of a Catholic priest onboard:

I'm not what one would call a religious guy but, if one wanted to commune with their god, why not just go up on the upper deck and look out at the awesome sea or do it at night and look up at the awesome sky. I would feel more "close to god" in a redwood forest or out to sea than inside a chapel.

I'm not trying to make issues here. This is just the way I feel. I've been to Catholic services in churches. I've been to Pentecostal services in churches. I prefer the great outdoors. It makes me feel small and humble.

Catholics can attend mass outdoors but it takes a priest who has received the sacrament of Holy Orders to say mass. Catholics celebrate mass and not "services." Heck, when I was a kid if you skipped Sunday mass without a darn good reason, like being hospitalized, it was a mortal sin condemn-able by eternity in hell. I think they've lightened up on the rules since then. :)

We miss the conditioner and eucalyptus shampoo.

My biggest complaint is the lack of a Catholic Priest for Easter and Christmas. I think this is a grave disservice to their crew as well as their Catholic guests.

I always found many people at the daily services and certainly at the holiday service when a priest was on board. The last Christmas Cruise that I was on with a priest he spoke at length about the participation at services of the crew.

Maddle

PS: I think dropping the bridge instructor and pushing out ballroom dancing is also a disservice to the guests.

Hmmm. Just looked on the internet and noted that there are about 4,200 religions in the world. If a cruise ship had a leader for each religion it would more then fill most ships. We understand that everyone thinks their own religion should be represented (which is understandable) but this might be disputed by those from religions not represented. We once befriended a Catholic Priest on a cruise (he worked for the ArchBishop of the New York City Diocese) who told us he loved to cruise. At that time, the cruise line provided him with a free cruise and he was only responsible for covering the cost of his transport to and from the ship. Imagine if a cruise line did that for several thousand religious leaders on each cruise. I would quickly sell my stock in the cruise line :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Not trying to "start something" here.. but in today's world, I can understand why a major corporation plays it safe and does not have a Catholic Priest on board for any occasion.

While it wouldn't bother me (I'm not Catholic) where does it end? Jewish Rabi, Methodist? Southern Baptist? Muslim? ;)

Just consider two things - (1) Only a Catholic priest can say Mass,or administer the Sacraments, it can't be done by a lay person, it would count for nothing.

(2)A large proportion of the crew are Catholic and away from home for 9 months at a time.

The Catholic services held for the passengers are IMHO secondary to the spiritual needs of the crew.

When I attend Sabbath Service on a FRIDAY around 5pm its usually led by a lay person as there is generally not a rabbi on board.

And the Cruise Director usually leads an interdenominational Protestant service on Sundays.

Oh yes the little things I miss - enough pepperoni and other toppings on the pizza on the pool deck. used to be generous, now rather sparse.

Edited by Griller

They are definitely saving money by having kleenex that has the texture of sandpaper in the staterooms. If nobody uses it they don't have to replace it.

Checking the box of tissues in my bathroom - which I took part used from the ship to deal with my ship acquired cold on the way home - I see its not Kleenex any more but thin tissue and proudly made in China.

Is there no end to this iniquity?

Well, just recently became elite, and on my recent 17th cruise, reading this I just realized we got no Elite amenities at all. Actually it was 2 week transatlantic and we got the hand cream replaced on day eleven. Always had to ask for more of those skinny bars of soap. Really miss having hair conditioner, another thing to pack.

Room to ballroom dance is pretty well non existent, one of our favorite evening highlights.

I agree the entertainment has really declined in quality. Princess Theater is still part of our evening ritual but more and more often I am glad it is only 30 min.

All in all though, when the price is right it still can be good value compared to an all inclusive land vacation.

Catholics can attend mass outdoors but it takes a priest who has received the sacrament of Holy Orders to say mass. Catholics celebrate mass and not "services." Heck, when I was a kid if you skipped Sunday mass without a darn good reason, like being hospitalized, it was a mortal sin condemn-able by eternity in hell. I think they've lightened up on the rules since then. :)

We miss the conditioner and eucalyptus shampoo.

The above quote demonstrates that these are rules made by men, not by God. I don't think God has changed the rules in the last 20 or 50 years; although the interpretations of men change regularly.

Perhaps if one has the need to attend a Catholic service, one should choose a cruise that has the day in question as a port day; most local churches would welcome visitors.

This issue came up on another line with disembarkation/boarding on Sundays. The cruise line responded with a list of churches near the port where cruisers would be welcomed and the suggestion that if you were disembarking, you could do so in plenty of time to attend the 11:00 mass; if you were boarding you could attend that one or an earlier on and still be at the terminal well before the 4 pm "all aboard" time.

IMHO, there is no need for a cruise line to meet the religious wants or needs of a small number of guests. They can't do it fairly to represent all religions, ad no one should be given preference over others. The guest can either find a way to meet their religious "obligations" or choose a cruise date that will allow them to be met. Example--if someone wants to keep kosher while cruising, the line will typically provide pre-packaged meals from one of a small number of recognized companies in the same way that the airlines do. However, that individual has to understand that they will not be able to meet their dietary choices AND eat off the regular menu/buffet. If a guest feels the need for a priest of their religion on board, they could hypothetically invite and pay for an appropriate individual to accompany them. I would expect that the cruise line would provide a space for them to hold their religious ceremonies.

If a guest feels the need for a priest of their religion on board' date=' they could hypothetically invite and pay for an appropriate individual to accompany them. I would expect that the cruise line would provide a space for them to hold their religious ceremonies.[/quote']

Perhaps those who find it necessary to have a Catholic priest provide holiday service rituals talk among your Roll Call shipmates to see if they would be willing to chip in for the cost of a cabin for a priest who would enjoy a cruise with them. Of course that would be a single supplement and a bit pricey but an option, nonetheless.

On the other hand, I'm more inclined to agree with Thrak's method for showing my gratitude by observing the nature in front of us and for the beautiful world we have and being so very fortunate to have our health and family to cruise.

C.R.U.I.S.E.- "Courtesy, Respect, Unfailing in Service Excellence"

That was the Princess gold standard, and sadly it has reallllllly slipped. DH was blown away the first time he experienced service on Princess. I told him this was the Princess difference. Fast forward to 2014 when DH told me if this service keeps declining, he won't see a reason to cruise over taking a land vacation. That broke this cruiser's heart! I understand what he's saying, though. When "no" was literally not allowed to be said to a pax, and your wish was their command, cruising was like a dream. Now, no is fairly commonplace, some crew is downright rude, and service is sometimes below restaurant standards. Don't get me wrong, there are still some wow crew members, and we love to honor them with nominations and extra tips. They're becoming a rare breed, though, and it's very sad.

There is no dress code rule, it's only a suggestion.

According to the Princess website it is a Dress code:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

The above quote demonstrates that these are rules made by men' date=' not by God. I don't think God has changed the rules in the last 20 or 50 years; although the interpretations of men change regularly.

Perhaps if one has the need to attend a Catholic service, one should choose a cruise that has the day in question as a port day; most local churches would welcome visitors.

This issue came up on another line with disembarkation/boarding on Sundays. The cruise line responded with a list of churches near the port where cruisers would be welcomed and the suggestion that if you were disembarking, you could do so in plenty of time to attend the 11:00 mass; if you were boarding you could attend that one or an earlier on and still be at the terminal well before the 4 pm "all aboard" time.

IMHO, there is no need for a cruise line to meet the religious wants or needs of a small number of guests. They can't do it fairly to represent all religions, ad no one should be given preference over others. The guest can either find a way to meet their religious "obligations" or choose a cruise date that will allow them to be met. Example--if someone wants to keep kosher while cruising, the line will typically provide pre-packaged meals from one of a small number of recognized companies in the same way that the airlines do. However, that individual has to understand that they will not be able to meet their dietary choices AND eat off the regular menu/buffet. If a guest feels the need for a priest of their religion on board, they could hypothetically invite and pay for an appropriate individual to accompany them. I would expect that the cruise line would provide a space for them to hold their religious ceremonies.[/quote']

We have been on Christmas cruises for the last 5 years. We go to midnight mass . It is always full and many many of the people there are the crew. Don't you think it is nice for them to be able to attend worship on the holidays? It isn't like this priest is there and no one is attending.

Remember, "...my list is about what has been eliminated, and not making a value judgement about any particular item.". I know it's hard to avoid value judgements about whether this or that is good or important to someone, but I was just trying to just understand what had dropped off the table so to speak.
  • Our last 2 cruises chocolate covered strawberries were not on the list of canapes on formal night.
  • Forgot to list the absence of a sommelier.

I think this thread should get back to your original intent - what are the things missing that used to enhance our cruise experience.

Please note before reading that we love Princess Cruises and plan to be back.

• Steel drum and island bands on deck playing throughout the day in the Caribbean
  • Deck party (not present on most of the cruises we've taken in past years
  • More than 3 bands onboard - covering a variety of dance and listening styles
  • Remember the Sun Princess class ships' Disco for the young and boisterous?
  • Really live bands - not two people with a synthesizer instead of musicians
  • ANY non-denominational church service on Sundays (missing from most of our recent years' cruises).
  • Shampoo WITHOUT conditioner. The eucalyptus stuff worked for me.
  • Chocolate covered strawberries (the only decent choice on the Elite hors d'vours (sp?) menu)
  • 9 hole mini-golf course
  • sheets and blankets. (duvet is just too hot)
  • decent size libraries
  • sport court reachable via elevator
  • Our first mini-suite experience on Princess had a steward and a butler.
  • Printed TV guide
  • Princess Patter the first day giving all the shows and movies for the whole cruise, and when they will be.

That said, we'll be back.

Me and DH have only been on one princess cruise. So we probably have no clue about the little cut backs. And as for having clergy on board, we are not religious, it is about a personal relationship. But it would be nice to have some people who share the same faith to share the day with for even 30 minutes.

I guess DH and I don't let little things get to us. We just like cruising and enjoy quiet time on the ships and the ports.

Norris, I'm sorry to tell you on my first Celebrity cruise in Nov. 2014 the only pillow chocolate we received was on the first formal night. According to our steward that is the policy now. Pillow chocolates were sorely missed!

We don't plan on taking any more Celebrity cruises in the future - not because of chocolate. We just didn't care for that line.

They are back every night on X now.

We have been on Christmas cruises for the last 5 years. We go to midnight mass . It is always full and many many of the people there are the crew. Don't you think it is nice for them to be able to attend worship on the holidays? It isn't like this priest is there and no one is attending.

Sure, I think it is "nice" that you and many people are able to celebrate your form of religious worship. I just don't feel that I should have to financially support your religious observances.

When I joined my local church, there was a pledge that I would support it thru my "prayers, presence, gifts, and service." In plain English, that means that I'm agreeing to pay for the ability to worship there. If you want to have your particular variety of worship experience available on the ship, I also think you should expect to pay for it rather than expecting that every passenger on the ship will be underwriting your particular form of worship. When you attend worship on land, are you not expected to contribute financially to the pay of the priest, the maintenance of the building, the payment of the organist, etc? If so, then why would you expect the services to be available to you at no charge on the ship? The "pay" of the priest on the ship is the occupancy of a cabin and the financial loss to the cruise line of not being able to sell this cabin. This is being provided by the increase in cabin prices for all on board (or indirectly by the shareholders of the cruise line). My point is that I should not be expected to pay for your religious celebration regardless of how many people choose to attend and whether they are cruisers or crew. If you wish to have this available on board, you should be willing to pay for your share of the actual cost. Since the room is "full," the per person charge should be rather low.

Alternatively, if I am expected to pay for a priest to be on board for your form of worship, I should be able to request and receive an appropriate officiant from my religion. This service is not provided to me and never has been on any cruise line.

Yes, I recognize that many crew are from predominantly Catholic countries, but unless Princess is unusual in crew hiring, many others are from Muslim countries as well as other non-Catholic countries. Again, if the cruise line provides a Catholic priest, should they not also recognize these other religious choices among the crew?

Not quite sure what is served under the name champagne these days but it bears no resemblance to the real thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless it is French and from the Champagne region of France it is sparkling wine, not Champagne.

Perhaps those who find it necessary to have a Catholic priest provide holiday service rituals talk among your Roll Call shipmates to see if they would be willing to chip in for the cost of a cabin for a priest who would enjoy a cruise with them. Of course that would be a single supplement and a bit pricey but an option, nonetheless.

On the other hand, I'm more inclined to agree with Thrak's method for showing my gratitude by observing the nature in front of us and for the beautiful world we have and being so very fortunate to have our health and family to cruise.

I think that people on here are missing the fact that when Princess have a Catholic priest on board he is primarily there and is provided for the crew, and the fact that he says Mass for the passengers it is in addition to the very late night Mass he says for the large numbers of Catholic crew, many of whom are from the Phillipines.

So the cost is not because of the passengers. And even if it were anyone complaining about the few cents per passenger it would cost would be very curmudgeonly.

Would it be reasonable to object to the cost of the ship being decorated for Christmas when not everyone on board is Christian?

You might as well stipulate that any Christians wishing to celebrate Christmas by decorating would have to bring their own.

Edited by Griller

Unless it is French and from the Champagne region of France it is sparkling wine, not Champagne.

Ok, so this is silly but also interesting. There is an exception to the rule which involves certain US manufactured Sparkling Wines which are still permitted to be called "Champagne." Back in 2006 the US finally signed a Trade Agreement with the EU that allowed the Grandfathering of "Champagne" on labels for manufacturers already using the name. Kind of a bummer for wine lovers, but such is the nature of international trade.

Hank

Nothing of any importance in a bad way on Princess has changed for us. :)

LuLu

Thank you for saying that. Princess gives us what we expect and that is a great ship, good crew, excellent venues and days at sea. Yes, we do miss real port talks giving information about the country, the port itself, the culture, etc. and instead we get port shopping information. We have adjusted by studying up on where we are going and what we should see and why because we know we won't have a problem finding a Diamonds International in any port if we wanted to.

Absolutely true in everywhere but USA.

For anyone who hasn't tried it the Spanish equivalent of Champagne, Cava, can be truly excellent and a good one can often be better than a cheap French Champagne.

The ship kindly gave us a bottle of their $60 ( on board price, $20 really) Nicolas Feuillate Champagne ( French, real) last cruise and it was very drinkable, but I have had Spanish Cava which I thought was more to my taste.

A good cava will have plenty of persistent small bubbles, a slight yeastiness, good acidity, just like a decent champagne.

Checking the box of tissues in my bathroom - which I took part used from the ship to deal with my ship acquired cold on the way home - I see its not Kleenex any more but thin tissue and proudly made in China.

Is there no end to this iniquity?

Man you must have a nose of steel to use that tissue, especially with a cold. I took the shuttle to Walmart in Juneau to get some Puff Plus with lotion for my delicate schnozzola.