Bayonne/Exit 14A update

megr1125

Was on the Anthem 2 nighter this week...

Welllll...when you leave the turnpike, the road you USED to take is now CLOSED.

You'll need to follow AVENUE E (stay in the left lanes through the toll) and follow this for several blocks until you see Center Street). You'll also see the 45th street light rail. Turn LEFT...there is a SMALL sign for the pier

You will be dumped onto GOLDSBOROUGH Drive in front of the fancy new CAPE LIBERTY CRUISE PORT pole. Turn left, and head down the road to the pier..

I hope I got Center street right.

ALSO, there is a website just for this!!

http://WWW.NJTA14A.COM

Was on the Anthem 2 nighter this week...

Welllll...when you leave the turnpike, the road you USED to take is now CLOSED.

You'll need to follow AVENUE E (stay in the left lanes through the toll) and follow this for several blocks until you see Center Street). You'll also see the 45th street light rail. Turn LEFT...there is a SMALL sign for the pier

You will be dumped onto GOLDSBOROUGH Drive in front of the fancy new CAPE LIBERTY CRUISE PORT pole. Turn left, and head down the road to the pier..

I hope I got Center street right.

ALSO, there is a website just for this!!

http://WWW.NJTA14A.COM

Ugh! First the Pulaski Skyway closure. Then the Bayonne Bridge closures. And now they're messing with Exit 14A. We knew it was coming though.

Here's the map on the special Exit 14A web site.

http://www.njta14a.com/newtrafficpattern/ Coming down Ave E it looks like Center Street is the first left turn almost directly across from 45th Street. Once you make the left turn onto Center Street it looks like you just stay on it as it curves to the right, changes name to Chosin Few Way, passes 40th Street, and ends at Goldsborough Drive.

I was actually back in that area in a cab in Jan after we arrived in the snowstorm. The taxi dropped one person off as the 45th St Light rail station before heading off to Journal Square. Didn't seem too complicated.

Here's why the street is Chosin Few Way - it's not misspelled http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/full_story/2408670/article-Getting-his-due-Czarnecki-honored-by-Marine-Corps-League?instance=more_page

Ugh! First the Pulaski Skyway closure. Then the Bayonne Bridge closures. And now they're messing with Exit 14A. We knew it was coming though.

Here's the map on the special Exit 14A web site.

http://www.njta14a.com/newtrafficpattern/ Coming down Ave E it looks like Center Street is the first left turn almost directly across from 45th Street. Once you make the left turn onto Center Street it looks like you just stay on it as it curves to the right, changes name to Chosin Few Way, passes 40th Street, and ends at Goldsborough Drive.

I was actually back in that area in a cab in Jan after we arrived in the snowstorm. The taxi dropped one person off as the 45th St Light rail station before heading off to Journal Square. Didn't seem too complicated.

Here's why the street is Chosin Few Way - it's not misspelled http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/full_story/2408670/article-Getting-his-due-Czarnecki-honored-by-Marine-Corps-League?instance=more_page

Hi, Carol. The construction has now entered the next phase. When you get off at 14A, you should stay as far to the left as possible. They have changed the direction of the overpass there so it accesses 440 South. You can also use the Avenue E lane, but for anyone not knowing the exact configuration, it can be a bit confusing. It is a bit confusing even for those of us who use the exit everyday. The toll lanes actually have signs above them for the different roads. Either way works for the time being, but the changes on the configuration happen pretty quickly now. I will keep everyone advised.

Hi, Carol. The construction has now entered the next phase. When you get off at 14A, you should stay as far to the left as possible. They have changed the direction of the overpass there so it accesses 440 South. You can also use the Avenue E lane, but for anyone not knowing the exact configuration, it can be a bit confusing. It is a bit confusing even for those of us who use the exit everyday. The toll lanes actually have signs above them for the different roads. Either way works for the time being, but the changes on the configuration happen pretty quickly now. I will keep everyone advised.

Thanks Joe. I survived the "Big Dig" in Boston so I know what you mean by the confusion caused by daily configuration changes.

What do you recommend for the unsuspecting cruisers? I'm sure I could figure out the Ave E route, but I'm not sure about others. Would the 440 south overpass be easier? Meg didn't end up going that way, but maybe it wasn't marked well. You'd think that if they were putting up new signs they would slap a big "Cape Liberty" on one of them.

Thanks Joe. I survived the "Big Dig" in Boston so I know what you mean by the confusion caused by daily configuration changes.

What do you recommend for the unsuspecting cruisers? I'm sure I could figure out the Ave E route, but I'm not sure about others. Would the 440 south overpass be easier? Meg didn't end up going that way, but maybe it wasn't marked well. You'd think that if they were putting up new signs they would slap a big "Cape Liberty" on one of them.

There are no sailings until next Sunday the 22nd, I believe, but for now I would say to take the 440 overpass by staying as far to the left out of the tolls as possible, and using 440. For the time being, I would say it is the best way to go for anyone not familiar with the area. If this changes before next Sunday I will let you know, and I will post it on the Cape Liberty 411 thread also. The different toll lanes have signs for Avenue E and Route 440 at the top to ease the confusion.

There are no sailings until next Sunday the 22nd, I believe, but for now I would say to take the 440 overpass by staying as far to the left out of the tolls as possible, and using 440. For the time being, I would say it is the best way to go for anyone not familiar with the area. If this changes before next Sunday I will let you know, and I will post it on the Cape Liberty 411 thread also. The different toll lanes have signs for Avenue E and Route 440 at the top to ease the confusion.

Thanks for the update. You guys are a great help!

My head was exploding as I got to the exit and so many people were jockeying for position that it was hard to see, and/or look for signs....Luckily they had one of those electronic things, so I stuck with Avenue E and it wasn't bad, just a bit of a pain in the rear to find..

And there's what? Like 2 years of this crap left?

Oy vey:eek::rolleyes::mad::p

I emailed the njta14a.com people earlier today about cruise port directions, and they put up a new page with directions!

http://www.njta14a.com/alternate-directions-to-cruise-terminal/

After you come through the Toll Plaza, stay left and follow the signs for Route 440 South. Proceed 1 1/2 miles and make a left into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal. The cruise terminal is two miles straight ahead.

From within Bayonne they do have the Avenue E route mentioned here.

Edited by MisterBill99

• 2 weeks later...
I emailed the njta14a.com people earlier today about cruise port directions, and they put up a new page with directions!

http://www.njta14a.com/alternate-directions-to-cruise-terminal/

After you come through the Toll Plaza, stay left and follow the signs for Route 440 South. Proceed 1 1/2 miles and make a left into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal. The cruise terminal is two miles straight ahead.

From within Bayonne they do have the Avenue E route mentioned here.

Cool, thanks...wowzers, the NJTA is actually keeping info updated? Better not say that too loud....lol.....:eek::D

Hello. We are Bob and Carla from Las Vegas sailing on the Anthem April 18 and 30, 2016. We are wanting to get to JFK for a flight to Barcelona to catch the Ovation. We need to depart JFK so that we have the connection thru Madrid. We plan to layover in Madrid for a couple of days to go to Seville before finishing the flight to Barcelona in time to catch the OV on May 10th. Can you help us with information and possible websites to arrange for transportation after disembarking. Thank you or anyone else that might be able to help us. Bob and Carla

Hello. We are Bob and Carla from Las Vegas sailing on the Anthem April 18 and 30, 2016. We are wanting to get to JFK for a flight to Barcelona to catch the Ovation. We need to depart JFK so that we have the connection thru Madrid. We plan to layover in Madrid for a couple of days to go to Seville before finishing the flight to Barcelona in time to catch the OV on May 10th. Can you help us with information and possible websites to arrange for transportation after disembarking. Thank you or anyone else that might be able to help us. Bob and Carla

Look at Dial7 and Carmellimo. http://www.dial7.com and http://www.carmellimo.com

Both offer coupons as well.

What time is your flight from JFK? If you have to kill the entire day, you might want to consider the RCL transfer to JFK which includes a sightseeing tour of NYC if it is offered for your cruise.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the update. I wish I understood it better in terms of its effect on getting to Cape Liberty!

BayonneJoe- can you interpret this in terms of getting to CL on March 4?

Hi Carol. I am preparing my latest take on what's going on at 14A. I want to post something that will be easily understood by anyone using the exit. I didn't post anything for today's Anthem sailing because there are virtually no problems at the exit on weekends. I will post something in the next day or so for our sailing and any going forward (as the construction stands now). Things change almost daily now, if not by the hour.

Edited by bayonnejoe

Hi Carol. I am preparing my latest take on what's going on at 14A. I want to post something that will be easily understood by anyone using the exit. I didn't post anything for today's Anthem sailing because there are virtually no problems at the exit on weekends. I will post something in the next day or so for our sailing and any going forward (as the construction stands now). Things change almost daily now, if not by the hour.

That's excellent!

I can't wait to hear the stories about Mar 4. I will probably have one of my own. I have the popcorn ready.

BayonneJoe, I'm hoping to get some information from you in about 6 weeks as far as the construction goes over the bridge coming from the NJTP. By the way, how is traffic over the bridge on Friday mornings? Not to heavy I hope.

Edited by Seaworthy01

That's excellent!

I can't wait to hear the stories about Mar 4. I will probably have one of my own. I have the popcorn ready.

We were almost going to drive from Boston Monday AM to catch the Anthem on the 4th. Now I'm glad that we decided to tack a "New York City Weekend" on the front of the cruise, now we get to sit back and let the Ramada shuttle driver worry about getting us to the port and back.