Tipping Room Steward first day or last day?

CPCruisers

First off this is not meant to be a discussion of tipping or not tipping! I know the mandatory gratuity covers this and anything above that is a personal choice we choose to make. We are tippers and usually will budget to tip room stewards a generous amount. My question is peoples experience with when they tip? We have done it both ways- on the first day when we first meet or on the next to last day. I prefer to doing it upfront as I feel it lets the person know we appreciate the service and are willing to pay for it. Hopefully it will ensure consistent good service. I feel better about requesting service that will make my vacation more enjoyable. What are other peoples experience?

Same here, first time meeting them and then last night. I always have it in my mind that if the service during the cruise is sub par then there would be no tip the last night. So far I have always tipped them twice. Only exception was the concierge on the Jewel a few years ago, zero first or last.

I always tip at the end. Tipping up front always feels like too much like I'm trying to bribe them. :D

That said, on the first day, we always talk to our steward for a few minutes to introduce ourselves, get to know them a little bit, find out where they're from. We've always had great service.

On the first day of my last cruise, I tipped the room stewart when i met him and introduced myself as Princess. From then on, whenever where ever he would see me, he would call out Hi Princess!

I tipped him again at the end, too.

I have no problem considering a tip on the first day as a "bribe". That is exactly what it is and it always works.

Yup that is what i plan on doing as he is guaranteed going to get $50 just because we are gonna ask for milk and cookies at night time and then his afternoon snacks so figured give that to him in the beginning will butter his hands up a bit and make him think hey lets go help them LOL

I was always taught the rule of thumb was end of the trip, UNLESS you asked them for something specific on embarkation day. Embarkation day is always one of their most hectic, and anything that takes them out of their routine deserves immediate recognition.

That said, there is no right or wrong answer here, its what makes sense at the time.

IF I do tip the steward it will be on the last day because he has, in my opinion, done more than just what is expected in the price of my fare.

I've never tipped a server at the start of my meal. Doesn't make sense to me. Just my two cents worth. :)

Never have either, but I like the logic. Like going to a bar, tip big on first drink to ensure above average service. May try it on next cruise

First off this is not meant to be a discussion of tipping or not tipping! I know the mandatory gratuity covers this and anything above that is a personal choice we choose to make. We are tippers and usually will budget to tip room stewards a generous amount. My question is peoples experience with when they tip? We have done it both ways- on the first day when we first meet or on the next to last day. I prefer to doing it upfront as I feel it lets the person know we appreciate the service and are willing to pay for it. Hopefully it will ensure consistent good service. I feel better about requesting service that will make my vacation more enjoyable. What are other peoples experience?

We also always tip our cabin steward extra, but always on the last day.

To me, tipping on the first day seems like either a bribe or an insult, implying that you don't think the service will be good unless paid for.

We have always had consistent good service, even before we started prepaying the DSC.

I always tip at the end. Tipping up front always feels like too much like I'm trying to bribe them. :D

That said, on the first day, we always talk to our steward for a few minutes to introduce ourselves, get to know them a little bit, find out where they're from. We've always had great service.

Agree. I know someone that tips $100 on the first day and tells them the type of service they expect. Definitely not the proper way to handle tipping IMHO.

We took a cruise with my brother and his family. My brother tipped on the first day thinking it would guarantee him good service. Wrong, he never saw his steward again and his room was not kept up to par. I always tip at the end and it has always worked out better.

I don't think tipping on the first day for no reason is the right thing to do.

I do think that if you ask for something - "Can we get extra pillows?" And they bring pillows and you throw him a 10 spot then that is fine.

But you need to be consistent. Don't throw them a 10 the first time and then nothing for every ask after that. That leaves a bad taste, like all they are going to get is 10$ and now you think you own them.

-Sean

Yup that is what i plan on doing as he is guaranteed going to get $50 just because we are gonna ask for milk and cookies at night time and then his afternoon snacks so figured give that to him in the beginning will butter his hands up a bit and make him think hey lets go help them LOL

Are you talking about a butler? Room stewards do not bring milk and cookies or any other kind of snack. This thread is talking about room stewards I thought.

We will generally leave a list of things we would like on the first day, like extra towels, extra tissues, make up both beds so our daughter can choose if she wants the top bunk or the couch bed. Along with that we will leave a "Thanks in advance" notecard with a $50 bill. Some will say that's too much, but that's what my husband feels is appropriate. We will also leave another $50 bill with a thank you card on the last morning, if service was good. On all of our cruises, we have always double tipped.

We will generally leave a list of things we would like on the first day, like extra towels, extra tissues, make up both beds so our daughter can choose if she wants the top bunk or the couch bed. Along with that we will leave a "Thanks in advance" notecard with a $50 bill. Some will say that's too much, but that's what my husband feels is appropriate. We will also leave another $50 bill with a thank you card on the last morning, if service was good. On all of our cruises, we have always double tipped.

That's it. My new 2nd job is JoAnn's Cabin Steward. ;)