Tipping Room Steward first day or last day?

CPCruisers

I have no problem considering a tip on the first day as a "bribe". That is exactly what it is and it always works.

I had a suitcase full of rum runners that was running late. Got scared I was flagged. $20 to my stew and it showed up promptly. Was it in the naughty room and she busted it out.? Who knows. Also had some left over after the cruise and she gladly took my leftover smuggled booze.

We have only ever had one bad steward. He was just plain useless and I spoke with the head of housekeeping and he sorted the issue out. All our other stewards have been great. Everything has been clean and things like towels replaced. They have always been personable and have done anything I have asked which is pretty much nothing other than to not make up the room in an evening until after 8PM as we will be there.

I have never tipped a steward until the end of the cruise nor would I. It seems like a sort of bribery to me or even a way of saying you want to be treated better than the other guests. I think ALL guests should be treated equally and should get equal service. I would not be happy if I thought that someone was getting preferential treatment because they slipped the steward cash to do so. I would probably not give them anything other than the DSC if I knew that was the case and I do normally tip at the end of the cruise.

First off this is not meant to be a discussion of tipping or not tipping! I know the mandatory gratuity covers this and anything above that is a personal choice we choose to make. We are tippers and usually will budget to tip room stewards a generous amount. My question is peoples experience with when they tip? We have done it both ways- on the first day when we first meet or on the next to last day. I prefer to doing it upfront as I feel it lets the person know we appreciate the service and are willing to pay for it. Hopefully it will ensure consistent good service. I feel better about requesting service that will make my vacation more enjoyable. What are other peoples experience?

If you are giving money on the first day it is not a tipp or a gratuity it is a bribe. The correct term is gratuity, and it is given after an act is performed, not before.

So if you want to provide a gratuity do it at the end of the cruise or after the service is rendered, if you want to give a bribe do it at the beginning of the voyage.

I believe this forum has no right or wrong answer. Do what pleases you and your family. I'm just happy that people ARE tipping so thank you for that. Wish all y'all vacations are fun and stress free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^This - Whatever works or functions best for people when cruise on NCL or any cruise line - there's really no right or wrong way to tip on top of the DSC. Whatever makes it less stressful and more enjoyable on your trip, go for it!:p:)

If you are giving money on the first day it is not a tipp or a gratuity it is a bribe. The correct term is gratuity, and it is given after an act is performed, not before.

So if you want to provide a gratuity do it at the end of the cruise or after the service is rendered, if you want to give a bribe do it at the beginning of the voyage.

If you get the desired results, who cares.