Early May too Early?

IdRatherBCruisin

There's a post a bit farther down called Alaska: May 5-15. That thread may be helpful to you. We're planning a potential 14-day cruise beginning May 18 next year. There are pros and cons. E.g. I love kids, had been a teacher all my life (loved it!), and am now mentoring in retirement. But I'd prefer a cruise with not so many kids as there are in Alaska in the summer.

I am looking at an Alaskan cruise that leaves first week of May. Are the shops open then? Are the excursions started yet?

I had heard that everything is limited that early in the season.

Thanks!

I've done two first-week-of-May cruises to Alaska. They were fine. The excursions I wanted were available. The big difference I noticed (have been to Alaska in other months, too) was that the tour guides and tour workers were really rookies, weren't at all polished. Got a tour of Juneau from a young woman who had spent less time in Juneau than I had :D We were her first "real" tour group :D

As mentioned check out the other thread for clothing and planning tips

There's a post a bit farther down called Alaska: May 5-15. That thread may be helpful to you. We're planning a potential 14-day cruise beginning May 18 next year. There are pros and cons. E.g. I love kids, had been a teacher all my life (loved it!), and am now mentoring in retirement. But I'd prefer a cruise with not so many kids as there are in Alaska in the summer.

We did 14 days this May, I think it was May 18 to June 1. It was great. Even my DH (who really doesn't care for Alaska :rolleyes: ) thought we had outstanding weather. That may not be the case for your sailing, but our weather was great.

What cruiseline are you going on? We did the Holland America 14-day round trip Seattle, to Homer, Kodiak, ISP.... it was a pretty elderly crowd in general. That didn't bother us, to be honest, we met lots of fun people. I only remember seeing one child, an infant in an umbrella stroller.

You had remarkable weather in May this year. Friends told me that they wished that they'd brought shorts and tee's. It must have been wonderful to have such fine weather! Our July cruise about half a dozen years ago was miserable: bitter cold and windy and lots and lots of rain. Did I like Alaska anyway? YES!

You had remarkable weather in May this year. Friends told me that they wished that they'd brought shorts and tee's. It must have been wonderful to have such fine weather! Our July cruise about half a dozen years ago was miserable: bitter cold and windy and lots and lots of rain. Did I like Alaska anyway? YES!

My first cruise to Alaska was like your July cruise. Ghastly weather. Old ship. It never stopped raining. Not once. Cold and windy, and raining. The rain came down with more pressure than the water in the shower did. :eek: I wish that was an exaggeration. It isn't.

I suspect that was some sort of offering to the weather gods and goddesses. I've had truly outstanding weather on every other cruise that I've taken to Alaska. On last year's cruise I got sunburned twice. Lightly, but still.... and we were in t-shirts a lot.

Edited by CowPrincess

The shops? You mean the same shops you find in the Caribbean (about as Alaskan as an African Lion)? We love Alaska for the beauty, clean air (except near ships), clean water, great salmon, etc. But when we come off a cruise ship and see a large neon "Diamonds International" sign it is kind of sad. We not only prefer that they not be open...but prefer that these shops be gone!

Hank

The shops? You mean the same shops you find in the Caribbean (about as Alaskan as an African Lion)? We love Alaska for the beauty, clean air (except near ships), clean water, great salmon, etc. But when we come off a cruise ship and see a large neon "Diamonds International" sign it is kind of sad. We not only prefer that they not be open...but prefer that these shops be gone!

Hank

I'm with you Hank, I would prefer to never see a DI sign again. :) In Alaska there are still plenty of locally-owned shops, though. They haven't been driven out of business, even though sometimes a person needs to take time and effort to find them.

For most of my friends, shopping is an important part of a vacation. I generally just let them go do it, and spend my time doing things that I enjoy.

I've cruised very early in the season, a few first time ships. Some tours are not running, like glacier dog sledding and the Lake Bennett train. I've been there so early there were some shops still boarded up, 12 foot snow banks and white outs on the White Pass. :) A negative for me is few humpbacks migrated and more variable weather. BIG difference between May 1 and May 18. I have sailed multiple times all through May. I prefer mid May and later- superior all the way around for what I go to Alaska for.

For sure the local shops (not the ones in the Caribbean) will be open.

We were the first ship in Alaska in 2012 arriving April 12 and the local shops opened for us even though many would be closed until the season kicked off.

We have been to Alaska many times and this was probably our most enjoyable.

Nice to be there when less ships are in port and when the Caribbean stores were closed.

And, it turned out (yes some luck involved) that we had the best weather we have ever had in Glacier Bay.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AqQs3TEBbcw/T4hXuRKXz2I/AAAAAAAAQqA/XoAXQVQwILM/s1600/DSC_4194.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0UdF6OlPUIM/T4hXwxtIOwI/AAAAAAAAQqI/hjUyFoGaF1s/s1600/DSC_4195.jpg

Keith