Diamond Princess - Sushi Bar

NSWP

G'day all, my wife and 18 yr old grand daughter are on Diamond Princess Sydney-NZ-Sydney on 23 January. My grand daughter is a Sushi tragic. Now there is a Sushi Bar on Diamond I do believe, is it complimentary or is there a cover charge?

Thanks in anticipation.

If by sushi bar you mean Kai Sushi, no it was not complimentary, there was a $25 AUD pp cover charge.

We ate there one night, it was never busy. Very nice ambience but I did not think the sushi was anything to write home about. Not that it was bad, it was just, well, Sushi (and associated raw stuff).

If by sushi bar you mean Kai Sushi, no it was not complimentary, there was a $25 AUD pp cover charge.

We ate there one night, it was never busy. Very nice ambience but I did not think the sushi was anything to write home about. Not that it was bad, it was just, well, Sushi (and associated raw stuff).

Thanks, will pass it on, the Horizon Court Buffet would sometimes have sushi rolls on for lunch, would they not? Even the Pom ships I was on recently , Aurora/Oriana had them in the lunchtime buffet.

I had lunch at Kai Sushi and found it was quite good this was on the Diamond Princess back in March.

On that Christmas cruise? We had lunch there on the last sea day. Some of the appetiser dishes were good - the crab margherita was one I think - but the sashimi and sushi were very poor quality, the worst I've ever encountered in fact, and the seafood in the udon soup was so overcooked it was inedible. Luckily on that cruise it was a fixed cover charge and we had more food than we could possibly eat so didn't go hungry. I would have been very annoyed if I'd paid an expensive a la carte price for some of the stuff.

On that Christmas cruise? We had lunch there on the last sea day. Some of the appetiser dishes were good - the crab margherita was one I think - but the sashimi and sushi were very poor quality, the worst I've ever encountered in fact, and the seafood in the udon soup was so overcooked it was inedible. Luckily on that cruise it was a fixed cover charge and we had more food than we could possibly eat so didn't go hungry. I would have been very annoyed if I'd paid an expensive a la carte price for some of the stuff.

The Christmas Cruise was the Sun Princess. I never had sushi on that ship.

Lol funny hoow opinions differ....my 2 cents worth;

We were on Diamond in Oct this year :)

Lunch limited menu incl tempura set ...ok nothing great came with miso. Charge was about $12ish cant recall exactly. I wouldn't bother to do lunch again wasn't super impressed. Ok but not fab food.

Dinner a la carte only .....we loved it.....sat at counter chatted to chef....my son loved that...we found the food excellent v fresh v tasty. We get woolies sushi at least once a week & kai was far & away higher quality. The chef said to us on Japan legs Kai is packed all the time but much quieter on Aust trips. You cld walk into Kai no booking ev night if u wanted to. I cant wait to go to kai agian for dinner the avocado sashimi entree was so good. Its on our must do list.

There were some sort of sushi rolls on the main dining menu one night as an entree.They were nice but nothing to write home about. I didn't see any sushi on buffet but may hv missed it it as we didn't hv buffet that ofen.

On the Diamond it is the Kai Sushi restaurant. They charge by the dish anywhere from $6 to $14 roughly. I am not a lover of sushi but we were onboard with friends from Melbourne and they love Japanese food. They said the food was lovely and would go again.

They did have noodle soup with accompaniments at the horizon court each day and some days they had sushi. However, this was in Asia so I am not sure that they will have that on the Australian cruises.

Sorry, I do not believe that you got better sushi at Woollies than on the ship.

In my opinion, based on what we had on Sun Princess last Christmas, it is! Certainly the Woollies sushi and sashimi isn't the top sushi/sashimi around but, at least at my local Woollies, it is consistently fresh and good. I've been eating sushi and sashimi for years, and have holidayed in Japan. In my opinion the sushi and sashimi at Kai Sushi was spome of the worst quality I have ever encountered. I think even my cat would have turned up his nose at a couple of items on the sashimi plate.