Balcony Light

rubinstein2r

I am in the middle of the Atlantic in an Aqua Class stateroom. My neighbor leaves their balcony night on every night. Is it appropriate for me to let them know this annoys me and, if so, what would be the appropriate way to do so?

Check to see if it's on in the day too. If yes, could be they don't even know, then just ask the cabin steward to turn it off.

If no, then you'll have to find a polite way to speak to them about it. Again, they likely have the blinds closed and don't realize it could be bothersome.

Explain how you like to sit out at night and stargaze and how the light makes it difficult.

I have had to deal with this once and it worked out well. Just remember, you get more bees with honey.....

Good Luck!

Check to see if it's on in the day too. If yes, could be they don't even know, then just ask the cabin steward to turn it off.

If no, then you'll have to find a polite way to speak to them about it. Again, they likely have the blinds closed and don't realize it could be bothersome.

Explain how you like to sit out at night and stargaze and how the light makes it difficult.

I have had to deal with this once and it worked out well. Just remember, you get more bees with honey.....

Good Luck!

Good advice.

It is possible that they leave their balcony light on at night and make use of it as a "night light", by leaving their curtain open, to enable them to find their way to the bathroom without tripping on something. The staterooms can be very dark at night, it is easy to stumble, especially if you are older, take medications at night, have a mobility issue, or have a young child in the room.

If you are on Deck 11, aft, it might not be your neighbor. The two staircases on either side that lead down to the bar below each have a light over the door that is always on, and it shined as far as our center cabin. Once we realized what it was we just learned to live with it.

Good Luck!

I agree. Most people have no intentions of doing something to disturb a neighbour and an "I'm sorry, ... would you mind..." kind of discussion/request is enough to have them agreeably comply.

Just mention it to your cabin steward (who also services the cabin next door), and he'll turn it off for you. This usually resolves it, unless they are leaving it on intentionally, then a nice request should work.

If they are leaving it on intentionally, why would you ask them to turn it off? I can understand making a request if they'd left it on unintentionally, but if they have a reason for leaving their light on, simply accept it.

Just mention it to your cabin steward (who also services the cabin next door), and he'll turn it off for you. This usually resolves it, unless they are leaving it on intentionally, then a nice request should work.

We have done this and the steward took care of it for us....didn't happen again for the rest of the cruise....I don't think they even realized they were leaving it on...

I agree. Most people have no intentions of doing something to disturb a neighbour and an "I'm sorry, ... would you mind..." kind of discussion/request is enough to have them agreeably comply.

Oh how I wish this were true.... There seems to be a growing number of those who care about themselves and could care less about their neighbor...be it in house, restaurant tables or cruise cabins.

It never hurts to ask, but be prepared just in case your request is ignored or you're essentially told....it's my light and I'll do what I want with it.

Do we need to discuss folks who recline their airplane seat fully.....

On our first cruise in a balcony cabin many years ago, we would go out on our balcony at night and be very unhappy that the ship kept the balcony light on, wasting electricity and ruining our night viewing of the stars and moon.

We figured it was probably some kind of nautical safety requirement to keep the ship illuminated, since we could see lights on other ships in the distance at night.

Duh! Not until the middle of the cruise did we discover the light switch for the balcony light on the wall behind the curtain..

Our neighbors probably thought we were very inconsiderate for leaving the light on, but nobody ever said anything to us about it, and we simply didn't know.

We, too, enjoy stargazing and were happy to learn the Equinox did not have balcony lights. On a recent cruise on a different line, our neighbors turned their light on every night, sat out there, speaking loudly. They also were "door slammers". We never mentioned any of these issues but cumulatively found them to be irritating. We did not let it interfere with our wonderful cruise but it would have been nice if consideration for others had crossed their minds. Common courtesy is becoming less common IMO.

This can be annoying. I like to sleep with curtains wide open and watch the sea go by. Very relaxing. Part of the allure of cruising for me.

This happened to me on a Grand Class Princess cruise ship and those class of ships have a switch. My neighbor left light on all day and all night.