ms Westerdam Sail-Away November 14, 2015

Boytjie

I have to say I was on the Promenade deck before the announcement started. Since I walk slowly and can't do many stairs, I usually find my station early and wait. However, when they said return to your cabins, I did (guess I am too much of a rule-follower).

Seems to be more than usual missing today. Maybe they thought they did not need to go out on deck since the weather was bad.:D

On our recent cruise on Noordam, our muster station was congratulated on being all present and on time we felt smug!:D

I have to say I was on the Promenade deck before the announcement started. Since I walk slowly and can't do many stairs, I usually find my station early and wait. However, when they said return to your cabins, I did (guess I am too much of a rule-follower).

:D

That's what I always did, but like you, I followed the rules and then limped down from Deck 8. I thought about asking at the front desk what I could do instead of coming down all those stairs, but never got to it. Next time.

Deb

Checking in.

On two cruises in the past year it seemed to me that hardly anyone actually did that. There were lots of people on the promenade deck before the first signal, and I am sure they just stayed there. And people were heading down the corridors and stairs long before the signal to go to the lifeboat station.

Since I have to use a walker and it is very difficult for me to get an elevator at the end of the drill, I know that if we were to wait in our cabin until the third set of bells, I would be very late to the drill.

So on our last several cruises, we go down to the Ocean Bar at the first signal. When the third signal is sounded, then we head to our life boat.

No one has said anything to us. We did notice on our last cruise that quite a few people with scooters and walkers waited in the Ocean Bar until it was time for us to go to our stations.

My recollection is that the muster drill is now in 3 stages:

Stage 1: No pax action needed, crew prep and pax alert.

Stage 2: Return to your cabin and prepare to muster (gather warm clothing, meds, and life jacket)

Stage 3: Report to muster station. So I think most people should be in their cabins (mobility conditions allowing) when the final alarm sounds. I suspect when a real emergency occurs I will likely not be at my muster station and that is what I want to prepare for. If restricted mobility suggests it, going early is fine.

Roy