Using FCC’s on an existing booking

JudithLynne

Now here is an interesting question.

We have completed 24 Princess cruises in 25 years. Some years ago we purchased 2 FCC’s, one for each of us. At the time we had a future cruise booked. I seem to remember that we could use FCC’s on an existing booking and get the OBC but not a reduction of the paid deposit. My memory is foggy on this and I am hoping someone can provide some clarity.

We now have friends that are new to cruising in this position. They have completed one cruise and had no knowledge of FCC's. DH and I are booked on a PC cruise. Our friends want to join us and are hoping to wait until March to book so that they can book with FCC’s that they will purchase when the four of us take a Mexico cruise that month. What concerns me is that even though the PC cruise is 18 months away, they want one of the few minisuites available. Five were booked in just the last two days. It is a segment cruise and we are all getting off after the first segment. The cruise is favoring those booking the complete cruise and has held back a significant number of cabins for those bookings.

So my question is…..can FCC’s be used in any way on a future established booking?

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions

No, the only way to use FCDs for a cruise that is already booked is to cancel (risking cabin location, any OBCs or other offers, etc.) and rebooking. It is a risk, but many report here they have done it.

If their first cruise wasn't too long ago, they could phone Princess (there is a time limit, I think it is 6 weeks??). The FCDs that are purchased after the cruise give a smaller OBC, but otherwise they are the same...$100pp.

Have a great cruise!!

I agree. The main purpose of the FCC's is to allow you to book with only a $100 deposit (the FCC). Assuming you paid the usual deposit when you booked, why use the FCC? You can;t get a refund on the deposit and you will have to pay it again anyway before the final payment date.

The small OBC you get is a little icing on the cake-not the main attraction of the FCC's....

The small OBC you get is a little icing on the cake-not the main attraction of the FCC's....

A little icing if getting $15 for 3-6 days in an inside cabin.

A whole much more icing if getting $150 for 17 days in a balcony cabin.

I recently found out that you can't purchase an FCC off ship if you already have an active future booking. I wanted to purchase another one (I'm within the 8 weeks) to use on a brand new booking, but was told that I would have to cancel the future cruise I already have booked. No one was able to give me the exact reason for the rule, and I decided not to cancel because I would lose the free gratuities. I know I should have purchased on the ship, but my job had told me that I wouldn't be able to take any more time off for awhile so I didn't think I would need it. You can purchase an FCC if you already have an active booking if you're on board, just not after you return.

I recently found out that you can't purchase an FCC off ship if you already have an active future booking. I wanted to purchase another one (I'm within the 8 weeks) to use on a brand new booking, but was told that I would have to cancel the future cruise I already have booked. No one was able to give me the exact reason for the rule, and I decided not to cancel because I would lose the free gratuities. I know I should have purchased on the ship, but my job had told me that I wouldn't be able to take any more time off for awhile so I didn't think I would need it. You can purchase an FCC if you already have an active booking if you're on board, just not after you return.

I'm confused, when have you ever been allowed to purchase FCC's when off the ship? It's always only been available while on the ship I thought.

I know I should have purchased on the ship, but my job had told me that I wouldn't be able to take any more time off for awhile so I didn't think I would need it.

Next time, don't forget they are good for 2 years and can be extended for 2 more years (plus fully refundable if you change your mind).

If your boss won't give you any time off for 4 more years, you need a new boss.;)

Phil, Princess has a little-known 'cruisers remorse' program called 'Welcome Back' that allows purchase of an FCC for a short time (60 days) after you cruise BUT you do not get the same amount of OBC for these as you would for a regular FCC. And, as we now know, you cannot purchase them if you already booked a cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246913

Edited by cherylandtk

Phil, Princess has a little-known 'cruisers remorse' program called 'Welcome Back' that allows purchase of an FCC for a short time (60 days) after you cruise BUT you do not get the same amount of OBC for these as you would for a regular FCC. And, as we now know, you cannot purchase them if you already booked a cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246913

So that's why I haven't heard of it, I almost always buy a few on board. I'm out right now, will get 4 more tomorrow!

Next time, don't forget they are good for 2 years and can be extended for 2 more years (plus fully refundable if you change your mind).

If your boss won't give you any time off for 4 more years, you need a new boss.;)

:oHaha, yeah I know we should have bought....but at that time we each had one credit in the bank . That cruise we were on was a full month, which was a big problem at work. They finally gave me permission to go but I had only two weeks of vacation earned so management thought I would have to "go in the hole" on vacation time and pay back the other two weeks. In other words, it would be two years before I had two weeks built up again (one year to pay back then the next year to earn again.) But when I got back they just decided to not pay me for the extra time off (which is what I proposed in the first place) so now I'm banking vacation time again like normal.

Anyway, after I got back I used the credits we already had booking S. America Jan 2017, and later decided to book Japan Sept 2016. I tried to buy FCCs for Japan, but would have had to cancel S. America, and lose the perks. Since the OBC is much less than the perks, I decided to leave it.