Included transfer to EWR (NEWARK) info please

Jo and Rob

Hi

We are keen to get to New York as soon as possible and have decided to book an airport hotel to leave our luggage before going into New York on the train.

Our question is would it be worth waiting for the included transfer or will we waste too much time?

Also would we be able to get our money back on the transfer if we go independently?

Do they have mini buses waiting for passengers are is it a case of needing to book one in advance (we are six, with four adults)

Any hints on how to get a really early disembarkation time?

many thanks :)

This may or may not be helpful to you - we were on the recent Transatlantic from Southampton to Cape Liberty on the Anthem of the Seas. We initially booked a Royal Caribbean transfer via our travel agent's website but Royal Caribbean UK insisted on it being refunded as we couldn't provide ongoing flight details - we just wanted to go to the rental car facility at EWR.

Once on the ship, the transfers were being offered at $28.50 per person so I went to Guest Services and they said it would be ok and we would get all the details on the day before debarkation. But we were given a slot without any transfer so I went to Guest Services again and asked if it would be possible to do the early walk off and just connect with the transfer bus - they provided me with a receipt as proof of purchase. We were off by 6:15 and were directed to the first coach in a row of coaches by 6:45 - they marked our names off their list so were good to go once the coach filled up. We were very lucky to miss the massive queues and 4-5 hour hold-ups that happened later.

Sandra

Hi

We are keen to get to New York as soon as possible and have decided to book an airport hotel to leave our luggage before going into New York on the train.

Our question is would it be worth waiting for the included transfer or will we waste too much time?

Also would we be able to get our money back on the transfer if we go independently?

Do they have mini buses waiting for passengers are is it a case of needing to book one in advance (we are six, with four adults)

Any hints on how to get a really early disembarkation time?

many thanks :)

Could you provide more details about what you're thinking? What exact date are you doing this? How many pieces of luggage do you need to store? Are you actually going to stay overnight in the hotel or are you just booking it to get luggage storage for the day? What hotels are you looking at and what prices including tax are you seeing? If you're flying out the same day, what time is your flight?

Right now you're looking at $28.50/pp for transport to Newark Airport. To get to NYC by train you're looking at another $26/pp round trip unless the children are under 12. You do realize that if you book a hotel room, you'd essentially be leaving your luggage all day in some hotel storage area because you won't be able to check into the room early in the morning.

Have read numerous posts but finding it hard to sort through all the different

information. If you wouldn't mind some more ?

1. Leave on Anthem 1/25

2. Flying in on the 23rd

3. Recommended motel in Elizabeth for easy & quick transport to the port.

4. Price around $150 - 200 is ok - less would be nice but also want a decent

one in a good area

5. Best way to get to Staten Island, Statue of Liberty if possible ?

6. Booked the post cruise tour of New York so hope that is a good plan.

Thanks

1. Leave on Anthem 1/25

2. Flying in on the 23rd

one in a good area

Thanks

Regarding question 5... If you're talking from Jersey, I can't help. If you're planning to come into NYC...

Why anyone WANTS to go to Staten Island, I don't know, but assuming you do, from NYC the best (and definitely cheapest - FREE!) way is the Staten Island Ferry.

As far as I know, the ONLY way to visit the Statue of Liberty is via the National Park Service, and I'm pretty sure their only approved ferry service is taken from Battery Park (pretty close to the Staten Island Ferry). And the numbers ARE limited, so you need to book in advance.

1. Leave on Anthem 1/25

2. Flying in on the 23rd

one in a good area

Thanks

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and you must be selective about your hotel. It's all a question of balancing time, money, and stress if you want to also sightsee in New York. The airport hotels in Newark and Elizabeth are just airport hotels in relatively isolated areas with nothing around them. Many hotels offer free breakfast, but have no restaurant. The exception would be the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth which are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall - Courtyard Elizabeth, Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, and Country Inns. Local restaurants in this area would be Ruby Tuesday's and Ihop plus the food court at the mall.

To get to NYC from these hotels you have to take the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain Station and ride the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station to take the train to either New York Penn Station (midtown Manhattan $13/pp each way) or to Newark Penn Station ($8.50/pp each way) to transfer to PATH to the World Trade Center ($2.75/pp each way). Travel time is at least an hour each way. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

If you're serious about going into NYC, you should consider staying in downtown Newark at the Newark Penn Station Hilton or the Robert Treat, which both offer a free airport shuttle. Train to NY is $5.25/pp and PATH to World Trade is $2.75 and your travel time is significantly reduced.

Cost to get to the port is $55-65 each way via car service or taxi. Only Country Inns and Embassy suites offer a cruise package including port transportation.

The Statue of Liberty can be accessed via ferry from either Battery Park/South Ferry in Manhattan or Liberty a State Park in Jersey City. The Staten Island ferry leaves from South Ferry.

aa.com has some very excellent rates for your Jan 23-25 date if you want to prepay your hotel. I sailed on the Quantum at this same time last year. I took Amtrak from Boston to Newark (plan B in case of snow) and stayed at the Robert Treat, which also offers a free hotel shuttle from Newark Penn Station to the hotel and free breakfast. Didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised - room was very comfortable and I would definitely stay there again over any airport hotel. Waited a bit for the shuttle, but could have taken a cab the 6-7 blocks for under $10. IMO not a walk to do at night with luggage.

Public transit from downtown Newark to the port is also an option. I took PATH to Exchange Place, transferred to the light rail to 34th St. Bayonne, and took a car service into the port. This was a 100% accessible trip with luggage including seats on PATH and the light rail. Car Service or taxi to the port would have also been in the $55-65 range.

Don't forget to factor in weather considerations. It will be cold in Jan. it could be very cold or snowing and you don't want to be waiting around at multiple points for transportation connections. I had an easy trip to the port on a relatively warm day, but we came back in a snowstorm. Cape Liberty was a mess. All transportation was a mess. My train was cancelled. I shared a cab to Jersey City, took PATH to Newark Penn Station, and made it back to Boston on a later train, but had to stay in a Boston hotel because I couldn't get to my house. Anything can happen.

Could you provide more details about what you're thinking? What exact date are you doing this? How many pieces of luggage do you need to store? Are you actually going to stay overnight in the hotel or are you just booking it to get luggage storage for the day? What hotels are you looking at and what prices including tax are you seeing? If you're flying out the same day, what time is your flight?

Right now you're looking at $28.50/pp for transport to Newark Airport. To get to NYC by train you're looking at another $26/pp round trip unless the children are under 12. You do realize that if you book a hotel room, you'd essentially be leaving your luggage all day in some hotel storage area because you won't be able to check into the room early in the morning.

At first we were going to use left luggage in New York but with 6 of us and all the luggage in tow the hotel at Newark airport works out much cheaper, plus we don't have to queue up to collect it at left luggage in New York. We fully appreciate that the luggage will be in a store room for most of the day but the flight isn't until 10:30pm so we will still freshen up in the room and probably grab a bite to eat there too. The price of the hotel including tax is less than the quote for a large van from Carmel Limo and then the cost of checking in at least 10 items to left luggage. Instead we will catch the train to Penn station luggage free.

We don't want to waste time waiting to disembark on 8th April as we want to get the most out of the day. We will buy the New York Pass (gutted the Beast doesn't run until May).

Do you know how many cases you can put in a New York taxi? I'm wondering if we might just get two taxis at the taxi rank from the cruise terminal.

How long do you think we would have to wait for a transfer bus to the airport to go?

Also can we get the transfer refunded once on board the ship if we decide to go under our own steam?

Edited by Jo and Rob

At first we were going to use left luggage in New York but with 6 of us and all the luggage in tow the hotel at Newark airport works out much cheaper, plus we don't have to queue up to collect it at left luggage in New York. We fully appreciate that the luggage will be in a store room for most of the day but the flight isn't until 10:30pm so we will still freshen up in the room and probably grab a bite to eat there too. The price of the hotel including tax is less than the quote for a large van from Carmel Limo and then the cost of checking in at least 10 items to left luggage. Instead we will catch the train to Penn station luggage free.

We don't want to waste time waiting to disembark on 8th April as we want to get the most out of the day. We will buy the New York Pass (gutted the Beast doesn't run until May).

Do you know how many cases you can put in a New York taxi? I'm wondering if we might just get two taxis at the taxi rank from the cruise terminal.

How long do you think we would have to wait for a transfer bus to the airport to go?

Also can we get the transfer refunded once on board the ship if we decide to go under our own steam?

Which hotel are you considering at Newark Airport? You should plan to self disembark. Any transfer could eat up a lot of the morning.

Can you call the States? These folks could accommodate your group, but they don't have a web site and they take reservations 4-6 weeks out. Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Edited by 138east

Which hotel are you considering at Newark Airport? You should plan to self disembark. Any transfer could eat up a lot of the morning.

Can you call the States? These folks could accommodate your group, but they don't have a web site and they take reservations 4-6 weeks out. Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Marriott Hotel which is literally at the airport. Do you have an email address for your friend?

Marriott Hotel which is literally at the airport. Do you have an email address for your friend?

Ok - the Marriott is a good choice. No email for Independent Driver. You have to call 4-6 weeks out.

Cape Liberty is in Bayonne, NJ. No NY cabs available. The taxi dispatcher runs the whole show and decides if a livery car is eligible to pick up passengers that have not prearranged a ride. My understanding is that the three Bayonne cab companies plus local liveries are on the taxi dispatching "list" of approved vehicles.

What are you paying for the NY Pass? What are you planning to use it for? Are you really going to have time to get your money's worth out of it? Everything takes more time in NYC than you think it should. Yes, the pass covers some expensive places, but some of those places are also time consuming places that will eat into your very limited time.

Sample time frame: self disembarkation at 7:30 am. Did this on the Quantum. Tons of folks self disembarking. At 7:30 the line was already huge. Actually started at 7:45. I was able to just walk off (no standing outside in a line for me in Jan) at about 8 am. Through customs quickly and at the taxi dispatcher by 8:30.

At that hour on a Friday morning it will take you at least 1/2 hour to get to the Airport Marriott. Figure 1/2 hour to check in and store luggage. Then a shuttle ride to the P4 Station, Free Airtrain to Newark Airport Station, and train to NY Penn Station - 45 min to 1 hour. Realistically you're not going to get to NYC before 10 am.

What time do you want to be back at the hotel in the afternoon?