Long layover in AMS Questions

Justprettynpink

We have a 12 hour layover in AMS on our way home from our cruise. (From ATH to DTW)

We thought it would be neat to see a little Amsterdam after spending a few days in Athens before coming home.

My questions are:

Do we have to return to the airport 3 hours before this leg of the flight?

We land at 2000 and depart 0800. We have a hotel right now, but if we explore til midnight that only gives us 5 hours or so to sleep. If that is the case I am exploring the option of going back to the airport to crash in the Sky Club.

Which brings me to my next question. We are flying Delta but I was wondering if I can get into AA Sky Club (because of the airlines credit card)?

Do we need anything besides our passports to go out and explore AMS?

Thank you so much!

We have a 12 hour layover in AMS on our way home from our cruise. (From ATH to DTW)

If that is the case I am exploring the option of going back to the airport to crash in the Sky Club.

Which brings me to my next question. We are flying Delta but I was wondering if I can get into AA Sky Club (because of the airlines credit card)?

1. The lounge at AMS is not a Delta Sky Club. It's a KLM lounge, with access given to selected persons flying partner airlines including Delta.

2. The KLM lounges at AMS are not open 24 hours/day, so you can't hang out there in the middle of the night in lieu of getting a hotel room.

3. Simply flying Delta will not give you access to the KLM lounge during their operating hours. You'll only have access if you are ticketed in Delta One (business class) or if you are a Delta gold, platninum or diamond medallion member. (I don't know whether you can purchase a day pass or not, if you don't meet either of those criteria.)

4. I can't answer your question about AA (their lounges are called Admiral's Clubs, not Sky Clubs) because I seldom fly AA. But I know with Delta, just having their regular branded credit card does not give you lounge access. (I think the reserve card does, but not the regular cards.)

Hope that helps!

Do we have to return to the airport 3 hours before this leg of the flight?

If it is a connection, you will already be checked in for your next flight (and most likely you won't even see your luggage), with your boarding pass in hand. Thus, you should merely need to clear security and whatever procedures are in place at AMS (those that have flown thru AMS can give more details) and go to your gate. I would probably arrive at around 6-6:30 for an 8 am departure.

If it is a connection, you will already be checked in for your next flight (and most likely you won't even see your luggage), with your boarding pass in hand. Thus, you should merely need to clear security and whatever procedures are in place at AMS (those that have flown thru AMS can give more details) and go to your gate. I would probably arrive at around 6-6:30 for an 8 am departure.

I figured we would not see our checked bags....will make sure we have everything we need in our carry ons....

This is our first international flight....

Our AA card gets us in their Lounge at a discount price...do I have to be flying with them to use that perk? (anyone know? )

Thanks for all the help so far :-) :-)

If a transfer is longer then 12 hours in Amsterdam most of the time your luggage will not be tagged all the way. So double check when checking in in Athens.

KLM lounge is indeed not open all night, as mentioned there are restrictions for those to have acces to the lounge.

Indeed most airlines to the US want you 3 hours prior, only if you checked in online before 2 - 2 1/2 hours will be fine too.

From the airport there are frequent trains into the city, traveltime about 20 minutes.

A couple of quick hits:

1) Luggage overnight is always airline and airport dependent. Some places, no problem. Others and you are schlepping them yourself. Worse is that you sometimes can't find out in advance - plan to deal with them and be pleasantly surprised if they are through checked for you.

2) As for returning 3 hours prior: I would highly suggest it. Especially if you have to recheck your bags. You will have bag check, outbound passport control, and then security. Research through DL and the AMS website - they may recommend less.

3) There was post about Terminal 3. AMS is one big terminal - what they probably referred to was that AMS calls different sections of the terminal Departures 1, 2 and 3. And Lounges 1, 2 and 3. But they are all part of the same building. DL departure gates are on the "E" pier.

4) AMS has changed over to a central screening process. I confess that I have not yet experienced this, but the airport has made a YouTube video to help explain.

5) Highly recommend you read up at the Schiphol website. LINK HERE Much good information, including terminal maps and transportation info. The train page is LINK HERE.

6) If you just want a basic yet new/hip place to stay, the Citizen M hotel at AMS is a good minimalist place right at the airport. Rooms are small, but if you just want a place for a nap, shower and change, it works fine. Easy walk from the terminal, free wifi, 24 hour food. LINK HERE

7) Note that train services at night are different than during daytime. The good news is that there is 24 hour service from Centraal to Schiphol. The bad is that it may be hourly, so watch your timing.

Hope that helps some.

A couple of quick hits:

1) Luggage overnight is always airline and airport dependent. Some places, no problem. Others and you are schlepping them yourself. Worse is that you sometimes can't find out in advance - plan to deal with them and be pleasantly surprised if they are through checked for you.

2) As for returning 3 hours prior: I would highly suggest it. Especially if you have to recheck your bags. You will have bag check, outbound passport control, and then security. Research through DL and the AMS website - they may recommend less.

3) There was post about Terminal 3. AMS is one big terminal - what they probably referred to was that AMS calls different sections of the terminal Departures 1, 2 and 3. And Lounges 1, 2 and 3. But they are all part of the same building. DL departure gates are on the "E" pier.

4) AMS has changed over to a central screening process. I confess that I have not yet experienced this, but the airport has made a YouTube video to help explain.

5) Highly recommend you read up at the Schiphol website. LINK HERE Much good information, including terminal maps and transportation info. The train page is LINK HERE.

6) If you just want a basic yet new/hip place to stay, the Citizen M hotel at AMS is a good minimalist place right at the airport. Rooms are small, but if you just want a place for a nap, shower and change, it works fine. Easy walk from the terminal, free wifi, 24 hour food. LINK HERE

7) Note that train services at night are different than during daytime. The good news is that there is 24 hour service from Centraal to Schiphol. The bad is that it may be hourly, so watch your timing.

Hope that helps some.

Awesome information!

I appreciate your help!

One more thing....the train ticket machines may require that your credit card be "chip and pin". If you use the train, it might be wise to buy your round trip upfront at AMS, rather than try to deal with a machine in a relatively unstaffed station on the way back.

FTer - thanks for the tip about CitizenM!! I have the Sheraton at CDG for that long connection, the Hilton at FCO, the Sheraton at FRA, the Sheraton at AMS. But, nice to have a choice. I may be weird, but I love the hotels that are connected to the airports for quick stops.

FTer - thanks for the tip about CitizenM!! I have the Sheraton at CDG for that long connection, the Hilton at FCO, the Sheraton at FRA, the Sheraton at AMS. But, nice to have a choice. I may be weird, but I love the hotels that are connected to the airports for quick stops.
Citizen M started, IIRC, at AMS. Or it was their second property. The rooms are tecno-compact and one single room area. They have the TV on the wall, the shower is a glass cylinder, toilet in another cylinder, non-existent drawer and closet space. Mood lighting with a computer-control remote. Double glass window with the venetian blinds in the middle of the panes, done electrically. Perfectly serviceable for an overnight. Bigger than a capsule, smaller than the Sheraton.

They have opened in the USA (NYC) and some other Euro cities.

• 6 months later...
One more question....

How long should I expect it to take to be able to get out of the airport?

Customs and all that jazz....

Customs will take you zero time, because it's basically an honour system.

Immigration may take a bit longer, but that can be very random.

The bigger random variable, though, is likely to be how long it will take for your bags to be delivered to the carousel. If the answer is no time at all because they're through-checked and you don't have to wait for them, the chances are that you will be exiting from customs in something like 20 minutes from stepping off the aircraft, or a little faster if you're lucky.

Customs will take you zero time, because it's basically an honour system.

Immigration may take a bit longer, but that can be very random.

The bigger random variable, though, is likely to be how long it will take for your bags to be delivered to the carousel. If the answer is no time at all because they're through-checked and you don't have to wait for them, the chances are that you will be exiting from customs in something like 20 minutes from stepping off the aircraft, or a little faster if you're lucky.

Since they are coming from Greece to The Netherlands there wouldn't be any customs or immigration as it is intra-schengen.

They would have to clear passport control to exit out of Schengen before flying back to the US.

Edited by bugeater2

Just read on Flyer Talk that there are impending work stoppages by security personnel at AMS. Flyers are urged to arrive 3 hours pre-flight.

Don't know when you are traveling but Dutch papers are reporting that escalations of the work stoppages MAY increase as negotiations proceed. The security workers process luggage as well as passengers.

One question you asked that I did not see an answer for is about what you need to exit the airport. Just your passports. No visas required. Another note, if you bags are not checked through and you decide not to get a hotel, Schipol does still have luggage lockers that are priced by size. They are scattered around the terminal according to the web site.

Just read on Flyer Talk that there are impending work stoppages by security personnel at AMS. Flyers are urged to arrive 3 hours pre-flight.

Don't know when you are traveling but Dutch papers are reporting that escalations of the work stoppages MAY increase as negotiations proceed. The security workers process luggage as well as passengers.

We will be flying in July so hopefully it will be settled by then :-)

We will be flying in July so hopefully it will be settled by then :-)

Since July is highseason at the airport, expect long lines at passportcontrol on your return at the airport too.