Help me compare vision and radiance class please

20 plus cruises on multiple lines and ships and radiance is my favorite class so far. Love all the glass, solarium, places to eat lunch outdoors, etc..

This year rhapsody fits our itinerary better. I know rhapsody is smaller and older, but what are the major differences I should expect between vision and radiance class's?

Also, not much chatter about rhapsody on here. I believe she is scheduled for a dry dock in the fall, but we'd be sailing before her uplift. Any concerns?

Tia :)

The ships are fairly similar.

Windjammer is forward on Rhapsody, aft on Radiance.

Fitness center is aft on Rhapsody, forward on Radiance.

Radiance has outdoor Windjammer seating, none on Rhapsody.

Radiance has a kiddie slide area, none on Rhapsody.

Here's a few major differences:

Rhapsody is about 40% smaller ship - and about the same # of passengers.

The Rhapsody Centrum area is much smaller (makes a difference if you like to go there after dinner to dance).

Pretty limited number of balcony cabins on Rhapsody (2 decks) vs LOTS of catagories and cabins w/balconies on Radiance Class (4 decks).

Hope This Helps.

Edited by DHADEN

Radiance has outdoor Windjammer seating, none on Rhapsody.

Rhapsody does have an outdoor seating area outside the WJ, it's just located in before you enter the WJ and not aft like on Radiance.:D http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=SD&shipCode=RH&shipProfile=1663&sailDate=1151119&hasNavigation=false

Edited by cruisenfever

A few other differences that haven't been touched on:

• No helicopter deck/accessible fo'c's'le on the Visions;

• No indoor screening room/cinema area on the Visions (movies typically shown outdoors or in the theater);
  • No self-levelling pool tables on the Visions;
  • No Rita's on Rhapsody (not sure about the other Visions...I know one has a Boardwalk Doghouse);
  • No sports deck/court on Rhapsody (some Visions, Splendour and Legend do have a designated sports deck);
  • Not as much glass on the Visions;
  • No miniature golf on Rhapsody;and
  • Solarium not as well decorated/themed on the Visions

Keep in mind it's sometimes difficult to compare the Vision class on the whole since it's not really a single class of ships, but some things (like the lack of helipad/fo'c's'le access) is true across the class.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

Thank you to all that have replied so far.

I noticed the solarium was a bit more sparsely decorated on the Rhapsody from the photos which is a bummer because that is where I spend all my time on sea days. This is a very port intensive Greek Mediterranean itinerary, so many of the differences won't matter to us (golf, pool table, indoor cinema, etc..). Last time I did the Mediterranean I was in bed by 10 each night.

However; the space ratio is something I believe may effect us more. For those who have sailed on Rhapsody and the Radiance class (I've specifically been on Radiance and Serenade); did the venues seem noticeably more crowded? I'm thinking we will take most meals (including dinner) in the windjammer. There are 3 days at sea though (10 day itinerary); so I'd like the sea days to be enjoyable as well.

My last two sailings were on the Away ships (Getaway and breakaway); and while the ships were lovely, they both suffer from a design flaw on deck 15 (pool and buffet). I'm trying to guess just how crowded Rhapsody may feel considering the passenger space ratio.

Also, any thoughts on the Rhapsody's condition given that it's been awhile since she's had a good sprucing?

TIA!

I noticed the solarium was a bit more sparsely decorated on the Rhapsody from the photos which is a bummer because that is where I spend all my time on sea days. This is a very port intensive Greek Mediterranean itinerary, so many of the differences won't matter to us (golf, pool table, indoor cinema, etc..). Last time I did the Mediterranean I was in bed by 10 each night.

However; the space ratio is something I believe may effect us more. For those who have sailed on Rhapsody and the Radiance class (I've specifically been on Radiance and Serenade); did the venues seem noticeably more crowded? I'm thinking we will take most meals (including dinner) in the windjammer. There are 3 days at sea though (10 day itinerary); so I'd like the sea days to be enjoyable as well.

My last two sailings were on the Away ships (Getaway and breakaway); and while the ships were lovely, they both suffer from a design flaw on deck 15 (pool and buffet). I'm trying to guess just how crowded Rhapsody may feel considering the passenger space ratio.

Also, any thoughts on the Rhapsody's condition given that it's been awhile since she's had a good sprucing?

TIA!

It hasn't been that long - she had a pretty major refurbishment in Dry dock a little over 3 years ago so she should still be in decent shape thanks to regular maintenance.

TIA!

I have only been on the Radiance, but I can say that our sea day in Alaska was the ONLY day that we had "Alaska weather" (cold rain, wind, etc. all day), and the Radiance felt crowded as no one could or wanted to be outside. I could not imagine a bad-weather sea day on a ship smaller than her but with the same passenger capacity. Just something to consider there as while no one WANTS a bad weather sea day, but they can happen.

TIA!

Sorry I skipped over this portion of your question on my first go-around. We've been on Serenade and Grandeur. While Grandeur isn't Rhapsody's twin(she's smaller in the way of tonnage, about the same in the way of length and beam, but with more about a dozen more passengers onboard; Vision is Rhapsody's twin within the class), the two are close enough to make a decent comparison. Honestly, I thought that in places Serenade felt more cramped than Grandeur did. Quarters in the MDR on Serenade seemed tighter than they did on Grandeur, we had a harder time finding seating in Windjammer itself on Serenade (the outdoor seating on Serenade made all the difference here). The pool and Solarium felt about the same to us.

TIA!

We've sailed Rhapsody twice (18 days Sydney to Hawaii; 7 days Alaska) and love her! We especially love our sea days and you won't have any issues having enjoyable sea days whether it be in the Solarium, enjoying the covered area outside the WJ on the pool deck or sitting outside Café Latitudes having a coffee/snacks and people watching (our group takes needle work/knitting/quilting)! There are also lots of places to sit outside on deck 5 as well closer to the water to watch the waves!

I have been on four of the Vision class ships. Each time I enjoyed the cruise and the ship.

In Jan. I'll be on Jewel which is a Radiance class ship. Looks like I will have a good time on Jewel checking out new places to enjoy the ocean views.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Here's a few major differences:

Rhapsody is about 40% smaller ship - and about the same # of passengers.

The Rhapsody Centrum area is much smaller (makes a difference if you like to go there after dinner to dance).

Pretty limited number of balcony cabins on Rhapsody (2 decks) vs LOTS of catagories and cabins w/balconies on Radiance Class (4 decks).

Hope This Helps.

Rhapsody is just about 15% smaller than Radiance ships (78 vs 92 k gross tons).

The pool deck on Rhapsody is much larger than on Radiance class.

While Radiance class ships are our favorites, we have sailed on all of the Vision class ships except the Vision and enjoyed each one very much. That included a Hawaii cruise on Rhapsody which then crossed the Pacific to Vancouver and we never felt it was overcrowded. There are probably more things similar between Radiance and Vision class ships than there are differences but to my mind they basically took the best features of Vision class ships and incorporated them, or improved on them, when they designed the Radiance class ships. If you don't spend a lot of time concentrating on the differences between the two classes of ships, you should have a very enjoyable cruise on Rhapsody.

TIA!

We have been on Rhapsody, Radiance and Serenade, and I seldom found Rhapsody to be more crowded than the other two. One trend that I dislike is using the Centrum for most "live" events, when there is a lovely lounge aft (I think it's the Shall We Dance lounge on Rhapsody). It does get crowded in the Centrum during major events.

I will also note that we were on cruises with very few children (on one there were only 11), so the ship wasn't sailing full. I imagine that midsummer will be more crowded.

As for the Solarium, Rhapsody has the far better one IMO. Both classes of ship have put the Park Cafe there, so it's a little noisier than it used to be, but the Rhapsody/Vision Solarium is very attractive, kind of classical Greek-themed. And the plastic plants that replaced the live ones are still green, unlike the faded blue plants on Radiance and Serenade that weren't replaced during their multi-million dollar refurbishments.

If you time your Windjammer meals right, it won't be too crowded. When we had dinner up there, we would go about 30 minutes before the early show was due to end - there always seemed to be a rush afterwards.

As for her condition, RCI probably spent most of the refurbishment money on revenue-generating things, such as specialty restaurants and adding cabins where the gorgeous library and C&A lounge used to be, but they did replace a lot of the soft (carpets, upholstery, etc.). I can only speak to the JS cabins, but they did redo the bathrooms (not for the better, taking away cabinet space, shelves and towel racks and replacing the sinks with ones that are more fashionable than functional), replaced the drapes and recovered some of the furniture. I don't know what happened with the other cabins.

Rhapsody has a fabulous crew, as is the case on most RCI ships, and they'll bend over backwards to make you happy. I think you'll be pleased.:)