Caribbean - favourite island/port

beshears

I am not into scuba diving, but I like the beach/sand/heat.

If you had a port/island to recommend to someone what would it be and why? If there was something special on this place to see or do that did not cost too much, what would it be?

I think it's St. Lucia for me. The sailaway is beautiful.

Did your ship do a cruise of Soufriere Bay after departure from Castries? If so, how was it and how long did it last? I am hosting a party on our balcony on our upcoming cruise and wanted to plan it out. Any details are appreciated.

Edited by DaveOKC

Did your ship do a cruise of Soufriere Bay after departure from Castries? If so, how was it and how long did it last? I am hosting a party on our balcony on our upcoming cruise and wanted to plan it out. Any details are appreciated.

Yes, I think all ships do this. I have a poor memory but I don't think it was more than about 1.5 hours. I'm sorry my memory isn't better:o.

In Apr 2014, we did the Castries to Soufriere scenic cruising. The port times said we were in Castries from 8AM to 3PM and then in Soufriere from 5PM to 6PM.

So the crushing part is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending when you actually leave Castries.

I looked at the time stamps on my pictures and it looks like we left around 3:30PM and got to Soufriere around 5PM. My last picture of the Pitons was at 6:18PM.

Hope that helps. :)

If you had a port/island to recommend to someone what would it be and why? If there was something special on this place to see or do that did not cost too much, what would it be?

I would go with one of the private islands because there are no vendors to bug you and the food is free.

You've received a lot of answers in this thread, and I'll be no exception. My favorite is Bonaire. It's an easy island to drive and see everything on your own, and there is a great beach over on the east side (Lac Bay) where you can walk out hundreds of yards in waste deep water.

Actually, Half Moon Key gets my vote!

Others:

Skinny dipping at Orient Beach on St. Martin ( be brave and try it once!)

St. lucia's lush nature

The History of Cartagena ( ok, Mainland Columbia)

Ok, Jamaica and Dunn's river falls ( yes, way too touristy, but for a reason)

Tortola is very tropical too.

Not so fond of:

Grenada: most unfriendly people:eek:

Curacao: yes, some nicely coloured houses in typical Dutch style...

Grand Turk: dirtiest beach and Island of the carib. In our opinion.

Actually, Half Moon Key gets my vote!

Others:

Skinny dipping at Orient Beach on St. Martin ( be brave and try it once!)

St. lucia's lush nature

The History of Cartagena ( ok, Mainland Columbia)

Ok, Jamaica and Dunn's river falls ( yes, way too touristy, but for a reason)

Tortola is very tropical too.

Not so fond of:

Grenada: most unfriendly people:eek:

Curacao: yes, some nicely coloured houses in typical Dutch style...

Grand Turk: dirtiest beach and Island of the carib. In our opinion.

All the best to you and your beautiful capital city Kaptein! I's got to be pretty tense there today!

We love Bonaire and St. Lucia, both islands that we've stayed at several times for shore holidays as well as having visited while cruising. We will visit both again next year on two separate cruises.

We've done a lot of scuba diving at both, as well as snorkelling, but if all you want is a beach and heat, both offer lots of opportunity. If I had to choose for you, though, I'd recommend St. Lucia.

In Apr 2014, we did the Castries to Soufriere scenic cruising. The port times said we were in Castries from 8AM to 3PM and then in Soufriere from 5PM to 6PM.

So the crushing part is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending when you actually leave Castries.

I looked at the time stamps on my pictures and it looks like we left around 3:30PM and got to Soufriere around 5PM. My last picture of the Pitons was at 6:18PM.

Glad someone has a good memory. At least mine wasn't too bad.

Thank you - that certainly helps in my planning.

but now it seems too built up and touristy. Just went for the diving then but not doing it any more. Still have friends I met there long ago but their house was torn down to build a condo, was a true classic Bonaire house with a great garden. She's now a tour guide.

We are not beach/sand/heat people, and snorkel frequently, but there are some islands that we like for other things:

- St. Thomas. OK, it's crowded and the downtown is very commercialized, but we like to go to the top of Paradise Point and enjoy a drink while admiring the stunning views.

- Curacao. They have some interesting excursions (one goes to a small but decent cave), but we enjoy just walking about Willemstad with all its colorful buildings, the water-side fruit, vegetable and fish markets, and the cafes along the water and inside the Rif Fort.

- In St. Maarten, we have taken excursions to Pic Paradis and to Marigot on the French side, both of which are pleasant. And, there is a beach right there in Philipsburg, within walking distance of the piers. I've heard Orient Beach is a good one, but we only drove by it on buses and never really visited.

We have seen other islands on which fellow passengers have arranged beach excursions, but have not done ourselves, so cannot give an opinion. But, the others seemed to really enjoy the beaches/resorts in Grand Cayman, Aruba and St. Lucia.

Hope this helps,

Dave

St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands: this is a U.S. National Park and the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean.

Trunk Bay is one of my all time favorite beaches in the World. Unfortunately, it takes so long to get back and forth from St. Thomas, not nearly enough time is spent there.