Asking to switch cabins - OK or Bad Move?

MisterFidgetpants

Years ago, on my second cruise and long before I discovered CC, I was asked by the strangers in the next cabin if I would change cabins with their friends so they could be close to the rest of the large group they were sailing with. We had already unpacked, but agreed to move "after dinner". The only thing we knew was that we would be moving to a "better" cabin. I don't know what we were thinking, I guess that the steward was a magician who would fix everything for us. After dinner we packed up our stuff and waited. Eventually, we found the steward who told us, "They changed their mind." So we unpacked again and never thought about it again until today.

I am no longer naive enough to be as agreeable as I was last time, but I would at least get more information about the cabin and not automatically deny the request.

This was a reminder to me that I enjoy cruising enough to not sweat the small stuff, and that I am a nicer, more relaxed and agreeable person on a ship than at home.

I like to think that we would move anytime for other people that where together . Maybe because it is just the two of us it would not be a big deal . :) Also does the cruise line not have the right to move us for any reason at anytime ? I do not know but I think this is what they can do .

No, they do not if you book a specific room. About the only time people have been moved that I know of are those who book an HC cabin when they do not need an HC cabin. Then they can get bumped.

If they could bump you for any reason what would be the point of Carnival calling and asking?

Edited by Who Cares?

Prior to the cruise, if the cruise line requested it and the end result was favorable to me (upgrade, once, etc.), I'd probably do it. After boarding, no way.

As many have said, I book the cabin I want when I book. If other people don't plan as well, it's not my issue to solve.

No, they do not if you book a specific room. About the only time people have been moved that I know of are those who book an HC cabin when they do not need an HC cabin. Then they can get bumped.

If they could bump you for any reason what would be the point of Carnival calling and asking?

That's us. We were given a HC cabin without asking and during booking I had to check a box acknowledging that we'd move if asked to accommodate a mobility impared passenger. We'll be on the ship starting 28 Nov, but the HC cabin is for the 3rd week of a back-to-back-to-back.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

On another social media group someone said they were approached and offered money to switch rooms, but declined to do so.

I am really surprised at the responses of the group which is overwhelmingly bashing the person for being, uncaring, having no good reason to keep their room, keeping a family apart, lots of "karma will get you" sort of garbage, etc.

One of the top things I have learned on this website is to choose your rooms carefully and for many, many reasons like not being underneath a late night party spot or under the pool.

How do you feel about this; is it OK to ask other guests to switch, or is it just a Bad Move?

It's perfectly fine to ask, but don't get upset if they elect not to swap.

...What if there were issues at GS with swapping/explaining/waiting in lines, accidentally getting charged for someone elses stuff, keys failing and having to explain things over and over..... To me it seems like a hassle I don't need on vacay!

This actually happened to me after a stateroom swap. Extenuating circumstances...I was booked as part of a group, all assigned doubles with a roommate. I had requested a single (at double fare) but it wasn't available. One day prior to sailing someone cancelled; her roommate did not want to pay for the single, so we were advised to swap. The process was smooth at guest services, but I had to keep getting the folio printed to have her charges transferred to her new room (my original room.)

It was OK - not a huge deal - but a bit of an inconvenience.

I didn't read all the post's here, but I can say that I'd never switch cabin's with someone who just knocked on my door:eek:! If the cruise line asked, and moved us to a comparable cabin, maybe. Like other's, I spend time picking the cabin I want. I'm not going to just give it up because someone didn't plan.

I commented on that thread on FB that I would have said no, and that I didn't blame the OP for saying no, and I got totally bashed for it. The couple that wanted to switch said that they wanted to be next to their kids. If they weren't presently next to their kids, it means that their kids are not little. Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to book the cruise that way. Anyway, I'm not heartless, but I do a significant amount of preplanning and researching to find the exact room I want, and I book early and pay extra to pick my room, so I'm not just going to switch with anyone who asks. And that does not make me selfish.

I was asked by a member if I'd mind switching rooms...I told them sorry but no way! I had booked our room special as a surprise for my SO for a very special occasion ;)

I didn't mind that they asked at all, I wasn't bothered by it. But I definitely think the individual asking should be respectful and understanding if the answer is 'no'.

That's us. We were given a HC cabin without asking and during booking I had to check a box acknowledging that we'd move if asked to accommodate a mobility impared passenger. We'll be on the ship starting 28 Nov, but the HC cabin is for the 3rd week of a back-to-back-to-back.

Wow! I'm envious! We'll see you on the first part of your long journey! :D

I didn't read all the post's here, but I can say that I'd never switch cabin's with someone who just knocked on my door:eek:! If the cruise line asked, and moved us to a comparable cabin, maybe. Like other's, I spend time picking the cabin I want. I'm not going to just give it up because someone didn't plan.

I completely agree, I book my cabins after going over the deck plans and deciding what's the best location for us. Someone can ask us whatever they want, but that doesn't mean I will oblige. The answer will be no. I'm sorry, I booked my cabin a year out, when did you book yours?

Me too........Once the suite is assigned it's mine period. I wouldn't have booked it unles I wanted it. Same with airline seats, theirs a reason why you pick seats. When I do change a seat is has to be a good really good reason. Once someone asked be to change to a bulkhead in first so he could seat with his wife. Why didn't he ask the person next to him, reason the guy just didn't like bulkhead seats.

Me too........Once the suite is assigned it's mine period. I wouldn't have booked it unles I wanted it. Same with airline seats, theirs a reason why you pick seats. When I do change a seat is has to be a good really good reason. Once someone asked be to change to a bulkhead in first so he could seat with his wife. Why didn't he ask the person next to him, reason the guy just didn't like bulkhead seats.

Happens too often on Southwest. I take responsibility and pay for early boarding so I can get a seat I want. A late arrival (for whatever reason) gets separated from their party and even the FAs will approach other passengers on their behalf. It's a 2-3-4 hour flight? You'll survive. (I have swapped for a comparable seat when FA offers free drinks...not cheap, but I can be had!!!)

After reading all this I'm just amazed people unpack I always just live out of my suitcase. I'd hate to pack, unpack, pack, and unpack maybe even one more time with a hotel stay added in. I always thought the dressers in the room were just to hold the TV and a place to charge my phone.

I just bring a trash bags and clothes go in the bag and at end of the cruise that bag goes back in my suitcase to keep dirty separate from clean and to also not get my luggage dirty.

To the point of the thread though. As long as the cabin was equal or better id do it after checking it out and going to guest services to make sure it could be done with no issues.

After reading all this I'm just amazed people unpack I always just live out of my suitcase. I'd hate to pack, unpack, pack, and unpack maybe even one more time with a hotel stay added in. I always thought the dressers in the room were just to hold the TV and a place to charge my phone.

I just bring a trash bags and clothes go in the bag and at end of the cruise that bag goes back in my suitcase to keep dirty separate from clean and to also not get my luggage dirty.

To the point of the thread though. As long as the cabin was equal or better id do it after checking it out and going to guest services to make sure it could be done with no issues.

Thank you for my morning laugh.:)

The number of rude responses in this thread is amazing.

Which ones? I don't really see any rude responses; just that many people choose rooms for a reason and wouldn't switch. The Facebook comments were disgusting altogether. It really made it sound like you were one step below convicted murder if you dared keep the room you booked.

Which ones? I don't really see any rude responses; just that many people choose rooms for a reason and wouldn't switch. The Facebook comments were disgusting altogether. It really made it sound like you were one step below convicted murder if you dared keep the room you booked.

Was this a public FB page? Would be interesting to read the comments. :eek:

This was a reminder to me that I enjoy cruising enough to not sweat the small stuff, and that I am a nicer, more relaxed and agreeable person on a ship than at home.

I'm with you. There are a lot of uptight people here...I definitely hope they aren't my tablemates!

Why? As your handle states, Who Cares?

If you noticed, there is a question mark after my screen name, not an exclamation point. :rolleyes:

And I asked as I enjoy reading such threads (as stated in the post you quoted so you already had the answer to your question). Is that a problem for you? :confused:

Edited by Who Cares?

If you noticed, there is a question mark after my screen name, not an exclamation point. :rolleyes:

And I asked as I enjoy reading such threads (as stated in the post you quoted so you already had the answer to your question). Is that a problem for you? :confused:

I never said anything about an exclamation point or use one so I have no idea why that was brought up.

Also you never said you enjoy reading such threads. You said you find them interesting. Completely different words. I find quantum mechanics interesting doesn't mean I enjoy it.

Edited by theriac