Not wanting to dress up this time.

mklions

Although many people are stating that polo shirts are ok, and that they won't turn you away, the part about you being out of place will occur. Most adults generally will follow the dress code for the evening our of respect for the occasion. A shirt and tie if properly fitted will not increase a discomfort level. Most dress shirts are a lighter weight than a polo shirt.

You must be looking at different passengers than I am. There are less and less formally dressed people every time we cruise. Neat pants and button downs/polo's are now the majority - even on formal nights. Dress formally if you wish, but those who chose not to do so will in no way feel out of place. In fact, they'll be in the majority.

Edited by 1SGCruiser

1. HAL got rid of formal nights. They replaced it with gala nights and relaxed their dress code to something along the lines of "no shoes, no shirt, no service." can't tell what gala means because HAL doesn't say anything special about it.

Hmmm. I wonder if the Royal Nights they had on Anthem while it was in Europe was a test for something like that? This way, the entire fleet can have the same thing, whereas now there's formal nights on all ships but Quantum class and Quantum class has just one formal venue but no formal nights.

I've done 25 cruises across all brands and have done the formal thing (suit and tie) every time. This Sunday, I will board the Allure with a blazer, jacket and dress shirt (no tie). Last cruise I spent formal night looking at a guy in the next table with shorts and flip flops.

I'm done rowing upstream.

It is my opinion that a Caribbean cruise is not an event that I would feel obligated to dress in a formal manner. The cruise line probably makes more money off of passengers that have their pictures made if they do dress up but you are not sailing off to meet the queen of England for crying out loud!

Although many people are stating that polo shirts are ok, and that they won't turn you away, the part about you being out of place will occur. Most adults generally will follow the dress code for the evening our of respect for the occasion. A shirt and tie if properly fitted will not increase a discomfort level. Most dress shirts are a lighter weight than a polo shirt.

If you really don't want to dress nice for an occasion, use the options that night that are available to you that do not have the same expectation, such as the Windjammer or specialty restaurant.

Here's the thing though - Formal Night or whatever they call it now is the farthest thing from an actual occasion. It certainly used to be, and we greatly enjoyed it but now it's just "suggested attire" for that particular evening. Trying to insist otherwise doesn't make it so; we personally are at the point where over-dressing no longer feels festive. (On our last Carnival sailing it felt more like a costume party for those of us in tux and gown.)

OP, you'll be fine in Dockers and a collared shirt.

My first few cruises I avoided formal night as I did not want to dress up or feel uncomfortable. So I would do the windjammer or eat at somewhere else on the ship..no biggie.

But the past couple of cruises I have eaten in the MDR during formal night, I wore jeans and button down shirt...never felt out of place and most others around me were dressed similarly.

I wouldn't worry about it at all..but I certainly wouldn't be bringing a suit and tie to wear ever.

In all probability its a Caribbean Cruise and not like your sailing off to meet the Queen of England or something that one might go formal. The cruise line probably sells more pictures to the ones that "dress" but those are sort of tacky to me. I do want to eat a decent dinner that I paid for where I choose .

We used to dress up to "fit in", but found more and more we were in the minority! I haven't packed a suit or tie in several cruises, and don't intend to anytime soon. Dockers and a "caribbean button-up" shirt are all I ever wear, reagrdless of the nights. Never felt out of place and could care less what others wear either. I'm not there to impress or be impressed, just to eat a meal. :D:D

It is my opinion that a Caribbean cruise is not an event that I would feel obligated to dress in a formal manner. The cruise line probably makes more money off of passengers that have their pictures made if they do dress up but you are not sailing off to meet the queen of England for crying out loud!

And, I suspect, that if you were to meet Her Majesty, she would be wearing shorts, nice shorts, but shorts.

On one of our longer Royal cruises we decided to leave the formal clothes at home. Our cruise + land travel was four weeks, so simplifying the wardrobe choices was important. One evening at dinner we told our tablemates we would not be joining them for the upcoming formal night, but would be dining in the Windjammer. Our tablemates decided they preferred to dress down a bit also, so we all could dine together with all in similar "nice restaurant" type attire. We had a great time that evening and didn't feel at all out of place on "formal night."

FWIW, our next two cruises are booked on Celebrity - the new "evening chic" in place of formal nights is a plus.

On one of our longer Royal cruises we decided to leave the formal clothes at home. Our cruise + land travel was four weeks, so simplifying the wardrobe choices was important. One evening at dinner we told our tablemates we would not be joining them for the upcoming formal night, but would be dining in the Windjammer. Our tablemates decided they preferred to dress down a bit also, so we all could dine together with all in similar "nice restaurant" type attire. We had a great time that evening and didn't feel at all out of place on "formal night."

FWIW, our next two cruises are booked on Celebrity - the new "evening chic" in place of formal nights is a plus.

Nice Post!

Dress however you are comfortable and dine wherever you want. We have never dressed up for the same reasons you state. I always find the dining room very cool and enjoy being warmer, so nice jeans and a sweater or even a hoodie are my "always" clothes. You'll only feel out of place if you allow yourself to feel that way.