A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

I still enjoy cruising. But, to a certain degree, the cruise lines have found ways to make more money. Whether it's specialty dining venues, room service charges, etc, they're figuring out ways to make more money.

I'm getting ready to sail on RCCL in a couple of weeks on their Anthem of the Seas. I know from past experience that they have a certain "mall" feel on the main Promenade. I know this and can choose if I do or don't want to shop in their "mall".

My Carnivals Cruises were the same, as was HAL and Celebrity.

The only time I truly didn't spend any extra was on the Breakaway in the Haven. Drinks and specialty dining were included. Aside from some souvenir trinkets and passes to ride on Bermuda's busses and water taxi, extra spending was minimal.

I still think cruising is a good deal. You get some good entertainment (actually, on NCL's bigger ships, the entertainment is fantastic), good meals, nice ports of call, a nice place to sleep with great views out your window, and people surrounding you just waiting to serve you whatever you want.

Trying to do that on a land based vacation, where an ocean front hotel room, with entertainment, food, etc included, will most probably cost a lot more.

But, I do understand. I think looking at other alternatives to cruising is certainly something all of us do from time-to-time.

Dolphins still has not told us about the alternative being chosen, or is this another one of those complain and ignore?

Ditto steelmagnolia9

Is it possible there is no desirable alternative? It appears that all the cruise lines are in a competition to increase ship size and profits. How long before the bubble bursts? After almost 100 cruises on six different cruise lines, the cost has become prohibitive. Been there, done that, at much lower prices. I can get much better meals at far better prices without leaving home. I don't need the overcrowded ship's pools because I can bike to swim a half mile every morning in an Olympic size pool at my local "Y". The beaches on Long Island rival those in the Caribbean. The cost of a single cruise can buy a lot of prime ribs and lobster for a year without leaving home.

Ditto steelmagnolia9

Is it possible there is no desirable alternative? It appears that all the cruise lines are in a competition to increase ship size and profits. How long before the bubble bursts? After almost 100 cruises on six different cruise lines, the cost has become prohibitive. Been there, done that, at much lower prices. I can get much better meals at far better prices without leaving home. I don't need the overcrowded ship's pools because I can bike to swim a half mile every morning in an Olympic size pool at my local "Y". The beaches on Long Island rival those in the Caribbean. The cost of a single cruise can buy a lot of prime ribs and lobster for a year without leaving home.

Wow.

Rationalization #1 - I can get much better meals at far better prices without leaving home.

Rationalization #2 - I don't need the overcrowded ship's pools because I can bike to swim a half mile every morning in an Olympic size pool at my local "Y".

Rationalization #3 - The beaches on Long Island rival those in the Caribbean.

Rationalization #4 - The cost of a single cruise can buy a lot of prime ribs and lobster for a year without leaving home.

All to support "Been there, done that, at much lower prices."

That is pretty detailed justification for "...the cost has become prohibitive".

Sounds a lot like a modern day rehash of Aesop's "The Fox and the Grapes", but that's just MHO. Given all those stated reasons, I can't picture why someone would ever cruise in the first place much less do it more than 100 times.

I can certainly understand that after 100 cruises you might just be burned out on this kind of vacation. If you can no longer appreciate the difference between a Caribbean island and Long Island, then maybe you have been to the Caribbean too many times.

Wow, living at home is cheaper than a cruise.. What a fountain of information. :D

Wow.

Rationalization #1 - I can get much better meals at far better prices without leaving home.

Rationalization #2 - I don't need the overcrowded ship's pools because I can bike to swim a half mile every morning in an Olympic size pool at my local "Y".

Rationalization #3 - The beaches on Long Island rival those in the Caribbean.

Rationalization #4 - The cost of a single cruise can buy a lot of prime ribs and lobster for a year without leaving home.

All to support "Been there, done that, at much lower prices."

That is pretty detailed justification for "...the cost has become prohibitive".

Sounds a lot like a modern day rehash of Aesop's "The Fox and the Grapes", but that's just MHO. Given all those stated reasons, I can't picture why someone would ever cruise in the first place much less do it more than 100 times.

The "I have cruised 100 times" is reason for giving it up I would think. The rest of his comments, are a little out of whack, but if he really feels he can get a good meal at a lower price at home, let him eat at home. If he thinks biking to the Y pool for a swim is the same as enjoying the fresh ocean breezes and having lunch or a drink out by the pool is the same thing, he really has an unusual outlook on things.

The "I have cruised 100 times" is reason for giving it up I would think. The rest of his comments, are a little out of whack, but if he really feels he can get a good meal at a lower price at home, let him eat at home. If he thinks biking to the Y pool for a swim is the same as enjoying the fresh ocean breezes and having lunch or a drink out by the pool is the same thing, he really has an unusual outlook on things.

I can enjoy a good meal with the ocean breezes within 15 minutes of my home and I don't need an overpriced drink to help me digest my food. I also burn a lot more calories swimming 32 laps in my local pool than trying to avoid people in a crowded ship's pool. If I lived in New Mexico, I would have to go on a cruise to seek these simple pleasures?

I could do all those things at home as well, but then I'd have to do my own grocery shopping, do my own cooking and do my own cleaning, things that are done for me on the ship. Let's see, if I balance being home versus being on a cruise....I think I'll pay the money and go on the cruise.

The cruise industry might have priced some out, but there are just as many that are new to cruising and don't mind spending the money for all they get on a cruise...it is just personal opinions and everyone is different.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I can enjoy a good meal with the ocean breezes within 15 minutes of my home and I don't need an overpriced drink to help me digest my food. I also burn a lot more calories swimming 32 laps in my local pool than trying to avoid people in a crowded ship's pool. If I lived in New Mexico, I would have to go on a cruise to seek these simple pleasures?

Accepting this a fact, one would still wonder why on earth have you gone on over 100 cruises! :rolleyes:

OP,

I think you no longer find joy in cruising and your days of eager anticipation of a cruise are ending. And that's ok. But its not the "fault" of NCL or any other cruise line. You simply are changing your lifestyle. With over 100 cruises and being your age....well, maybe its simply time for a change. And if you look forward to swimming at your Y and beaching it on Long Island, then that's great. But I think in all fairness to blame NCL for "departing", is perhaps being a tad harsh. Part of things may be lifestyle, part may be the product no longer appeals, and I think those are more intertwined that you are letting on. Time changes us all, our wants/needs/enjoyment all evolve. Just like cruise lines.

Regardless, I hope you carry many, many happy memories from your amazing cruises!

I'm surprised that someone's vacation options would be cruise or nothing.

Accepting this a fact, one would still wonder why on earth have you gone on over 100 cruises! :rolleyes:

I think there is more to this than simply NCL is nickel and diming and no longer a good cruise line for the OP.

I think there is more to this than simply NCL is nickel and diming and no longer a good cruise line for the OP.

Of course there is more to this. When a person decides to no longer do business with a particular company, they simply stop doing that business. Just that easy. You don't have to file any paperwork, get a permit, or even tell anyone. Couldn't be simpler.

Posting about it on a public forum is nothing more than an attempt to create drama and/or call attention to yourself...that is what this is really about.

It isn't like NCL is going to come here and beg someone to continue to cruise with them...especially someone who CLEARLY has better options at home.

Ditto steelmagnolia9

CORRECTION: i misspoke - there is no way I could have taken 100 cruises. I have spent over 100 days on cruise ships, and I enjoyed every one of them. Sorry about that.

I'm surprised that someone's vacation options would be cruise or nothing.

There's always doing stay-vacation, especially if you live in area that has alot going on, like NYC.[emoji3] [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I hear ya!

Unfortunately, all the mainstream cruise lines have adopted the upcharges in dining.

I have to admit on my first NCL cruise, I felt nickel and dimed to death and vowed to never sail with them again.:mad:

However, my Epic cruise was one of our best cruises ever.:D

So here I am, now going to take advantage of the UBP and SDP package.:p

I work for a major airline and some of the fees that are charged are outrageous!:eek:

However, the bottom line is profits.

Good luck to u.

I apply to you, very few people can admit to themselves at all the lines are not doing this. People who are upset by the changes in Norwegian need to realize that its happening on all the lines and if it really upsets anyone then may be the new way of cruising is not for them

Of course there is more to this. When a person decides to no longer do business with a particular company, they simply stop doing that business. Just that easy. You don't have to file any paperwork, get a permit, or even tell anyone. Couldn't be simpler.

Posting about it on a public forum is nothing more than an attempt to create drama and/or call attention to yourself...that is what this is really about.

It isn't like NCL is going to come here and beg someone to continue to cruise with them...especially someone who CLEARLY has better options at home.

I was trying to gently/politely suggest that perhaps the OP is changing his lifestyle.....re health/age or whatever issues that may bring him to his decision to stop cruising. And as such, I will offer him respect as his just due.

But yes, at the same time, I was trying to point out that it doesn't make it NCL's (or any lines) "fault". That's what I feel is somewhat disingenuous. His initial post made it sound like he was leaving NCL and moving on. As many have asked...where to? His later posts speak of not cruising at all or not seeing the value and preferring to stay home. That's a big difference from "leaving NCL...going to try X". If the "true" reasons are not being spoken of then the whole point becomes moot, to me anyway. I'm trying not to judge as harshly....simply looking at what may really be happening, but having no first hand knowledge I may be way off base here.

I was trying to gently/politely suggest that perhaps the OP is changing his lifestyle.....re health/age or whatever issues that may bring him to his decision to stop cruising. And as such, I will offer him respect as his just due.

But yes, at the same time, I was trying to point out that it doesn't make it NCL's (or any lines) "fault". That's what I feel is somewhat disingenuous. His initial post made it sound like he was leaving NCL and moving on. As many have asked...where to? His later posts speak of not cruising at all or not seeing the value and preferring to stay home. That's a big difference from "leaving NCL...going to try X". If the "true" reasons are not being spoken of then the whole point becomes moot, to me anyway. I'm trying not to judge as harshly....simply looking at what may really be happening, but having no first hand knowledge I may be way off base here.

Yes, and I was just trying to gently/politely suggest that the OP can do what he wants and for whatever reason that he wants. He simply has to make a decision and implement it.

At the same time, there is no reason to announce that decision here. He doesn't need our permission, and we don't need to know...if someone chooses to go, then go. There is no need for the unnecessary drama and discussions.

We applaud change.

If it wasn't for change, we would all be sitting at 10-tops in the main dining room, at fixed times, waiting for every person on the table to finish there appetizer before moving on to an entree. And if your shore excursion runs long, or you stop in the Spa, you don't get to eat in the main dining room because you missed your seating time.

If it wasn't for change, most of us would be in 3rd class steerage just using the ship for transportation and not a fun filled, relaxing vacation.

You can still get your free food, free non-alcoholic drinks, free entertainment, free deck chair. BUT,,, change provides options. You don't have to pay for those options if you don't want.

Upcharge services have been around for a long time. And we appreciate that more and more services are being offered. Don't force those of us who love the options and those of us who are willing to pay for additional services and not live in the past.

Exactly, some things I'm willing to pay extra for, others I really don't want to but I think it's awesome that they give us the choices

I see no issues with the changes, as all the fees are for "choice items". If you don't want to pay them, don't use the services, etc. I'd rather choose how I spend my money, then have things included that I don't want.

I'm leaving for the Dawn in 11 days and have another booked and when I get back from the Dawn, I'll book another.

Hope you find a cruise line that best fits your expectations.

Awesome, I have never cruised the dawn but I hope you have fun.

They like to feel there important. There just another customer who is going to try something different, which happens everyday. Sooner or later they will find out there not as important as they thought and life goes on without them.

I was wondering the same thing and you answered it. Seems like some people have a flair for the dramatic lol.

I could do all those things at home as well, but then I'd have to do my own grocery shopping, do my own cooking and do my own cleaning, things that are done for me on the ship. Let's see, if I balance being home versus being on a cruise....I think I'll pay the money and go on the cruise.

The cruise industry might have priced some out, but there are just as many that are new to cruising and don't mind spending the money for all they get on a cruise...it is just personal opinions and everyone is different.

Oceanfront property in Arizona?:D