A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

Thanks Motley, I really appreciate that!

Regardless of anything I would never wish ill health on anyone. I'm sure you are very be loved by your family and friends and hopefully you will have a speedy recovery and will be cruising again real soon.

Regardless of anything I would never wish ill health on anyone. I'm sure you are very be loved by your family and friends and hopefully you will have a speedy recovery and will be cruising again real soon.

Many of us wish that, hope to see you at sea soon.

I thought I read that you no longer can adjust/remove daily service charge on NCL....Please correct me if I'm wrong! We need to bring back Kevin Sheehan..DelRio is so wrong...NCL will never be a Regent ship!!! They just need to improve some things and mot charge ala carte in specialty restaurants. They are certainly started to lose cruisers to other lines. JMHO.

Safe sails everyone.

I thought I read that you no longer can adjust/remove daily service charge on NCL....Please correct me if I'm wrong! We need to bring back Kevin Sheehan..DelRio is so wrong...NCL will never be a Regent ship!!! They just need to improve some things and mot charge ala carte in specialty restaurants. They are certainly started to lose cruisers to other lines. JMHO.

Safe sails everyone.

That is incorrect. The policy hasn't changed, you can still get all or a portion back. The only thing that changed was the procedure for getting your money back. Now you have to get a form from Guest Services and then email it in to NCL and they say you will get your check 14 days after your request is received. Edited by NLH Arizona

Safe sails everyone.

You still can, you just need to get a form at guest services and then submit it when you get home.

We applaud change.

If it wasn't for change, we would all be sitting at 10-tops in the main dining room, at fixed times, waiting for every person on the table to finish there appetizer before moving on to an entree. And if your shore excursion runs long, or you stop in the Spa, you don't get to eat in the main dining room because you missed your seating time.

If it wasn't for change, most of us would be in 3rd class steerage just using the ship for transportation and not a fun filled, relaxing vacation.

You can still get your free food, free non-alcoholic drinks, free entertainment, free deck chair. BUT,,, change provides options. You don't have to pay for those options if you don't want.

Upcharge services have been around for a long time. And we appreciate that more and more services are being offered. Don't force those of us who love the options and those of us who are willing to pay for additional services and not live in the past.

Well said!

We do not consider ourselves "veteran" but we are "seasoned" cruisers, with 25 plus cruises with NCL and 4 booked. We have found ourselves perusing other cruise line web sites in the last little while, something we have not done for many years. Not because of the cost, just less bells, whistles and lost leaders. There have been a lot of changes and it is a little perplexing booking a cruise and then visiting the web site a few days later to find promotions have changed and other intensives offered. We bought cruise rewards last month and discovered the information we were given by the cruise consultant on the ship quite erroneous, we are still trying to rectify these issues with NCL.

Now we have a la carte dining options in the MDR as well as in the specialty restaurants, it is just a matter of time before more dining package options are announced. We already have the UDP and SDP, will the next promotions hail UDP (MDR) and SDP (MDR) . More confusion. Will bacon be a la carte next year along with preferred seating options in the dining rooms?

Things have changed in the last 20 years, in our minds for the better, as far as Freestyle Cruising goes however in the last little while Freestyle appears to be less of an option. We are encouraged to book our entertainment along with the dining options including times and venues before the cruise, where is the Freestyle in that? Is the next move to be set menus we can decide on 90 days out too. These changes are good for some and not for others. We like to sit back and watch the world go by on a cruise, not be controlled by the decisions we made months ago. That may still be possible to a degree now, not the norm though.

We do not consider ourselves "veteran" but we are "seasoned" cruisers, with 25 plus cruises with NCL and 4 booked. We have found ourselves perusing other cruise line web sites in the last little while, something we have not done for many years. Not because of the cost, just less bells, whistles and lost leaders. There have been a lot of changes and it is a little perplexing booking a cruise and then visiting the web site a few days later to find promotions have changed and other intensives offered. We bought cruise rewards last month and discovered the information we were given by the cruise consultant on the ship quite erroneous, we are still trying to rectify these issues with NCL.

Now we have a la carte dining options in the MDR as well as in the specialty restaurants, it is just a matter of time before more dining package options are announced. We already have the UDP and SDP, will the next promotions hail UDP (MDR) and SDP (MDR) . More confusion. Will bacon be a la carte next year along with preferred seating options in the dining rooms?

Things have changed in the last 20 years, in our minds for the better, as far as Freestyle Cruising goes however in the last little while Freestyle appears to be less of an option. We are encouraged to book our entertainment along with the dining options including times and venues before the cruise, where is the Freestyle in that? Is the next move to be set menus we can decide on 90 days out too. These changes are good for some and not for others. We like to sit back and watch the world go by on a cruise, not be controlled by the decisions we made months ago. That may still be possible to a degree now, not the norm though.

The older ships are still very much like the old freestyle, you just have to stay away from the bells and whistles of the new ships .

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

You can now add the new surprise Margaritaville a la carte charge to my list of what some people still consider "welcome change?"

You can now add the new surprise Margaritaville a la carte charge to my list of what some people still consider "welcome change?"

Seriously? Here's another perspective.

I value my time at more than $15 / hour.

So if it costs my an hour of delay / inconvenience, or heaven forbid actual 'waiting', OR I can buy my way out of that delay/inconvenience/wait time by paying a $15 premium.... I'm all over the $15.

On the one hand, the way they've implemented it sucks for anybody who has a different mind-set. They alternatively could OFFER a $20 line-jump option for the next-available table, and then let everybody else eat free. That would also work for me. But it would likely create riots, so they instead charge everybody....and let those who don't want to pay, self-exclude.

Some people are trying to approximate an all-inclusive vacation. Others are trying to maximize their own time-flexibility on vacation, regardless of whether it costs extra.

Stephen

We applaud change.

If it wasn't for change, we would all be sitting at 10-tops in the main dining room, at fixed times, waiting for every person on the table to finish there appetizer before moving on to an entree. And if your shore excursion runs long, or you stop in the Spa, you don't get to eat in the main dining room because you missed your seating time.

If it wasn't for change, most of us would be in 3rd class steerage just using the ship for transportation and not a fun filled, relaxing vacation.

You can still get your free food, free non-alcoholic drinks, free entertainment, free deck chair. BUT,,, change provides options. You don't have to pay for those options if you don't want.

Upcharge services have been around for a long time. And we appreciate that more and more services are being offered. Don't force those of us who love the options and those of us who are willing to pay for additional services and not live in the past.

Most of what you describe above about NCL is innovation. Change is very different from innovation. Most of the recent moves by NCL fall squarely into the change column, thus many don't approve. Some customers are more discerning than others.

Most of what you describe above about NCL is innovation. Change is very different from innovation. Most of the recent moves by NCL fall squarely into the change column, thus many don't approve. Some customers are more discerning than others.

One person's change is another person's innovation. The alacarte thing does not favor me but I know personally of some people that love it. Just because you don't like it don't mean others don't

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

Sorry you feel the need to leave NCL. The days of "all inclusive" are not only gone from NCL but most other lines too. You may be better off with an all-inclusive land resort?

I still cruise all inclusive. Most of the time I cruise in a suite (not my next cruise tho!) and every cruise that I have been on, NCL or otherwise, I've been treated like "royalty."

Now, the new builds really turn me off. The biggest ship I care to cruise on are the Pearl, Jade, etc....nothing over 90,000 tons or so. I am a "small ship" person and probably always will be. I get to meet new folks easier and make lasting friends with people every time I cruise.

I don't feel the need to pay for eating; the MDR is fine with me, I can pick up what I want at the buffet and take it back to my room myself or enjoy it on deck.

I think it comes down to how you want to spend your vacation dollars. I never feel the need to pay extra for anything.

I"m probably just repeating what many else have said but compared to other lines NCL is pretty competitive in pricing and added perks. Only Celebrity comes close with their bev packages and OBC perks (there are more, but those are generally the best 2 to pick).

That being said, if your NCL cruise has no perks than yes it can get expensive if you let it. I still shudder when remembering my onboard charges during the Epic Miami inaugural cruise, it was enough to scare me away from NCL for awhile.

I realize perks don't make a cruise, but they do impact bottom line pricing which is important if you can only cruise every so often, or like to cruise a lot and need to stretch your dollar a bit.

I think Royal has an edge in large ship design (my opinion, but I've sailed the largest on both NCL and Royal), but NCL Haven suites rule (at a cost! Ouch!). Royal is actually changing ships during refit to give suite guests some of the same perks Haven guests get, as much as they can anyway.

Sorry you feel the need to leave NCL. The days of "all inclusive" are not only gone from NCL but most other lines too. You may be better off with an all-inclusive land resort?

I still cruise all inclusive. Most of the time I cruise in a suite (not my next cruise tho!) and every cruise that I have been on, NCL or otherwise, I've been treated like "royalty."

Now, the new builds really turn me off. The biggest ship I care to cruise on are the Pearl, Jade, etc....nothing over 90,000 tons or so. I am a "small ship" person and probably always will be. I get to meet new folks easier and make lasting friends with people every time I cruise.

I don't feel the need to pay for eating; the MDR is fine with me, I can pick up what I want at the buffet and take it back to my room myself or enjoy it on deck.

I think it comes down to how you want to spend your vacation dollars. I never feel the need to pay extra for anything.

Gotta agree. The last thing I want is an all inclusive cruise where I am helping pay for everyone's booze and specialty dining, paying for their room service. I prefer choices.

I really don't care about all those who are happy to pay extra ....probably so they can just shrug it off and post that money doesn't matter to them.....and I admit I can be that way sometimes too....as in I won't drive 10 miles to save 10 cents a gallon on gas. Lol. But many will. I don't get that

What I do care about is when stuff is included when I booked but then taken away

Now that scenario actually is a problem and IMHO every time ncl makes those stupid changes that will anger their loyal pax ( as the newbies have no clue) they need to offer a realistic obc....just like when they refund port charges for ports missed at the last minute

It especially poor business when ncl takes your booking and knows full well they are changing a freebie to specialty or adding fees as in room service..... But conveniently neglects to mention the start date of these changes

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gotta agree. The last thing I want is an all inclusive cruise where I am helping pay for everyone's booze and specialty dining, paying for their room service. I prefer choices.

But don't you mind when they take things away that were free when you booked but now have a charge and you haven't even gone on that cruise yet?

One person's change is another person's innovation. The alacarte thing does not favor me but I know personally of some people that love it. Just because you don't like it don't mean others don't

Well that's true if the pax is clueless

Everything ncl has done in 2015 is squarely change that is meant to cost the pax more while at the same time reducing cost for ncl

The collateral damage is a downward experience for pax

I really don't care about all those who are happy to pay extra
I haven't seen anyone say that the are happy to pay extra. What they have said they either don't use the item or don't have an issue with the change or that they like having a choice on how to spend their money.

I really don't care about all those who are happy to pay extra ....probably so they can just shrug it off and post that money doesn't matter to them.....and I admit I can be that way sometimes too....as in I won't drive 10 miles to save 10 cents a gallon on gas. Lol. But many will. I don't get that

What I do care about is when stuff is included when I booked but then taken away

Now that scenario actually is a problem and IMHO every time ncl makes those stupid changes that will anger their loyal pax ( as the newbies have no clue) they need to offer a realistic obc....just like when they refund port charges for ports missed at the last minute

It especially poor business when ncl takes your booking and knows full well they are changing a freebie to specialty or adding fees as in room service..... But conveniently neglects to mention the start date of these changes

I've been cruising with NCL for 12 or 13 years now. Had things given (Freestyle 2.0 = free champagne, mints on pillow), and taken away (free champagne), and costs have gone up (though less than on anything else I buy).

This is a business trying to get "the mix" right, where they economize / reinvest as needed, while upsetting the fewest amount of people.

It sucks that you're one of the ones who got upset.

There have been things they tried which they clearly didn't think through completely (like the room service breakfast). I say this though I've never ordered room service. Not once. Ever. But I get it it's a big change if you rely on it.

And they changed it to be less onerous.

NCL are human. They will make mistakes. The mark of a good company is how they deal with their mistakes, and in my experience NCL has dealt with them very well.

Stephen

I haven't seen anyone say that the are happy to pay extra. What they have said they either don't use the item or don't have an issue with the change or that they like having a choice on how to spend their money.

They can like having the choice but that's not my point

The bottom line is if something is included when you book.....then taken away....or offered at an additional charge that wasn't in place when you booked......a that particular pax says they like having a choice.....what they don't realize is something that was free is now costing them more

Case in point....

Margaritville

Room service

The room service is the worst offender IMHO

But if you are ok with having them take away something from you that was free when you booked but will now cost you $$$. Good for you at least you have a choice....even though that choice was free when you booked but isn't any longer

Sheeple at its finest. Lol

I know I will get slammed by saying this but here goes. A few years ago you always had food available. Breakfast would go directly into lunch then into midday snack then into dinner. These days you can miss breakfasts and lunches easily just by oversleeping. The last cruise we missed 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches because we slept in ttil 10am. When we got to breakfast at 10:40ish breakfast was done and luch was not ready. so we would finally get a deck chair and relax. By this time usually around 2:30 we would head down for lunch just to find out it too was over. We would then eat pizza and wait for our 8pm dinner. We are also looking to go to a land based vacation. Hope this above changes or I may never go on another cruise. BTW we have been on over 18 cruises in the past so I know what I am speaking.

Edited by edbowen

I know I will get slammed by saying this but here goes. A few years ago you always had food available. Breakfast would go directly into lunch then into midday snack then into dinner. These days you can miss breakfasts and lunches easily just by oversleeping. The last cruise we missed 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches because we slept in ttil 10am. When we got to breakfast at 10:40ish breakfast was done and luch was not ready. so we would finally get a deck chair and relax. By this time usually around 2:30 we would head down for lunch just to find out it too was over. We would then eat pizza and wait for our 8pm dinner. We are also looking to go to a land based vacation. Hope this above changes or I may never go on another cruise. BTW we have been on over 18 cruises in the past so I know what I am speaking.

But were those meal times changed between your booking and your cruise?

Probably not I assume but those changes were phased in over the years.

It's those changes that occur between booking and sailing and that take value away from me that are wrong

no they did not change from booking. i called carnival and they confirmed that they changed over the years. this is why i am looking to take other avenues

I would rather the cruise line save the money, rather than keeping staff and food at the ready for the few people that want to eat between services. And there is always a 24x7 restaurant on every ship (O'Shehans on recently refurbished ships) for seated meals, if you want.