Need help pulling off this surprise.

welovetocruise1234

I don't know how they deal with that. I was asked for my passport and boarding pass for the first week of my October cruise. When I went out and came back for the second week I had my cruise card and had to show photo ID. I'd hate for people to not be prepared based on incorrect info.

We took a taxi on Oct 18 to get to the Eurodam -- only had to show the security person our passports.

Driver popped open the trunk and showed his driver's license.

Never had to show our boarding passes.

Thanks for all the thoughts. Although I am so tempted to make it a complete surprise, I've decided to make it a scavenger hunt instead. I've created some boarding passes and will put clues around town, with places/people we know, leading them back for the actual tickets that I will have somewhere on the property. Hopefully, a sibling bonding exercise. I'll update the thred with the final decision.

When you pick friends up after their cruise, you don't have a boarding pass and I am pretty sure you don't need a passport.

Quite right. We have friends we stay with before our cruises who always drop us off at Port Everglades. We show our Nexus cards and our friends show photo ID. We have other friends we stay with after, who pick us up, and they simply say that they are picking up passengers and show photo ID.

I have not sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale yet, so this is probably the case. Maybe you could tell them just before you arrive at the port.

Usually teens are pretty good about figuring things out like this, they are smarter than we think they are. So, chances are they will know before you tell them.

We have always had to show passports at the Port Everglades port entrance.

I did something similar as a surprise for DH 50th birthday this year. So much planning and so many little deceptions leading up to it. You want to make it perfect I'm sure. I waited till we were almost there and pulled over the car. I handed him my phone ready to play a song "cruising" by Huey Lewis and told him to put the headphones on and listen. The look on his face when he realised was priceless.

No matter when you tell your kids, the reaction will be perfect. Have a wonderful time. :).

Thanks for all the thoughts. Although I am so tempted to make it a complete surprise, I've decided to make it a scavenger hunt instead. I've created some boarding passes and will put clues around town, with places/people we know, leading them back for the actual tickets that I will have somewhere on the property. Hopefully, a sibling bonding exercise. I'll update the thred with the final decision.

That sounds like a cute plan! Please do come back and let us know how it goes.

Agree with KK.

Last night of Chanukah -their gifts are either boarding pass or baggage tags (my preference). They'll have a lot of fun telling their friends in advance. Once they're on the ship, there's a limited time for free internet, texting, etc.

Have a wonderful time!

Richard

Half the fun of a cruise is the excitement of it all. I vote for advance notice. They will be walking on air with the very thought of it. Have a great time!

Or they may hate the idea! :confused: I don't recall reading anything about them having been on a cruise before.

Or they may hate the idea! :confused: I don't recall reading anything about them having been on a cruise before.

You are correct. Let them sulk when they find they are being taken on a cruise. First world problem for sure. Tell them; don't tell them. Only the parent knows for sure. Or not.:)

We surprised our daughter years ago with a quick 4- day cruise. Christmas fell on a Thurs so we opened presents early, as normal, and the last thing we gave her was and envelope (tucked in the bottom of her stocking) with the boarding pass in it. Told her "surprise" you have 30 minutes to pick what you want to pack and call and tell your friends "bye". At fifteen, I knew this might cause a moment of panic but she did great. She had gotten several new books for Christmas that she brought and we ended up having a wonderful, super 4-day weekend that we all still talk about 8 years later! Hope y'all have a blast!!!

We surprised our daughter years ago with a quick 4- day cruise. Christmas fell on a Thurs so we opened presents early, as normal, and the last thing we gave her was and envelope (tucked in the bottom of her stocking) with the boarding pass in it. Told her "surprise" you have 30 minutes to pick what you want to pack and call and tell your friends "bye". At fifteen, I knew this might cause a moment of panic but she did great. She had gotten several new books for Christmas that she brought and we ended up having a wonderful, super 4-day weekend that we all still talk about 8 years later! Hope y'all have a blast!!!

That sounds wonderful!!!

Great memories. :)

I vote for surprising them no later than the last night of Chaunukah. It is possible they might want to pack "things" for the cruise they wouldn't be packing for just FLL. Additionally if they know in advance they can look at the excursions and perhaps pick something want really want to do at one of the ports. Additionally, stopping at park-n-go is going to be the real give away.

But, most importantly, let them share their excitement with their friends and so that they can let them know that they will probably be "off the grid" for a week while they are at sea.

Wishing you and your teens a wonderful cruise.

I agree 100% with this.

Aren't the BEST presents on the last night of Hanukkah? I can't think of a better present than a cruise.

If you do decide to wait with the surprise, is there a chance one of them might innocently say something that could misconstrued and out of context alert a guard or staff with the heightened security?

I vote for not telling them for as long as possible. On the way to FLL stop for gas. Go inside w/ kids in car. Come out with sunscreen and tell them then.

In May I surprised my wife with a two week trip to London. I told her the night before our flight, I had rearranged everything with her company so work as taken care of.

Surpises are awesome. Go big.

I vote for not telling them for as long as possible. On the way to FLL stop for gas. Go inside w/ kids in car. Come out with sunscreen and tell them then.

In May I surprised my wife with a two week trip to London. I told her the night before our flight, I had rearranged everything with her company so work as taken care of.

Surpises are awesome. Go big.

ONE DAY to pack for two weeks???? :eek: I'd have killed you!! :eek:

I like small surprises, but not ones as big as that.

One important difference in packing for a cruise is the problem of forgotten items. For example, if you forget a charger ona land trip, you can probably find a replacement or borrow one at your hotel. But on a ship, a kid could be stuck without tunes until the next port, and if you find a charger it will be overpriced. So knowing in advance will help them plan to pack essentials.

One thing to add to the gift might be a travel guide to the Caribbean. OK, so a book is "old school," but it's a way for the kids to find out more about where they're going, and something they can take with them, even rip out map pages. Give them post-it "flags" to mark things that interest them.

HAL puts a trip planner called "explorer" or something like that in each cabin. It has a page for each port. Go to the front desk and ask for a second one so that each kid can have his/her own.

You've chosen the cruise, but letting them have some say in the details will make it more their own.

My parents bought my sister and me a trip to Hawaii when I was sixteen. We opened the gift on Christmas Day and left on Boxing Day. Two teen girls managed to pack for a trip to hot,and sunny from frozen north. It's do-able if you want to work it that way but for Chanukah of course!

When you pick friends up after their cruise, you don't have a boarding pass and I am pretty sure you don't need a passport.

Just a driver's license is all you need. You should also be prepared with the names of the people you're picking up as well as the ship and line. You can use a passport if you want, but any government issued ID will suffice.

Edited to say that we've picked people up and dropped people off pretty often. I'd like to think that I am surrounded by an aura of trust, but I think it's the Florida driver's license.

Edited by POA1

Know you mentioned that you have sole custody of your children but if the father is alive, strongly recommend you contact HAL and ask if you need to get a notarized letter from their father stating that he allows you to take the children on the cruise. Or get one just in case. With parental kidnapping happening now and again, HAL is pretty strict about this and have seen people refused boarding even with divorce papers in hand.