Need help pulling off this surprise.

welovetocruise1234

After a very difficult year, I am taking myself and two teen children on a cruise over the winter break. We are sailing on the Westerdam, 12/19/15. As of yet, I have not told the kids we are going so that I could surprise them. They think we are going to my friends wedding in Fort Lauderdale and then staying on the beach for a vacation.

I told them that so they would pack the appropriate clothes, formal, casual beach ect. My plan was to drive over in the morning, we live near Tampa, then just pull up at the ship and surprise them. However, I'm not sure that can work due to security entrances, passport/ticket presentations to the guards ect. I also thought about maybe stopping somewhere so that the ship could be in the background and say something then.

I did pre-pay for parking a park n go, so that's another hurdle, drop them off first surprise? All of us shuttle over together?

I also thought about just forgetting all that and presenting the tickets for the last night of Chaunukah and be done with it.

So, any creative ideas? Problems I haven't thought of?

PS: I do have passports for everyone and I have sole custody of the children, so no travel issues from that perspective.

You won't have to show your passports, until you arrive at the terminal. You will also need to show your boarding info at that time. So I think you can get away with driving up to the ship area and letting them know then.

You will have to put tags on your luggage ahead of time, that may give you away. But, now that I think of it, you can have a porter put those tags on for you at the pier. Just give him a larger tip than usual.

I think they might like a little advance notice so I think the last night of Chanukah would be a great idea. Maybe give them a small clue each night (nothing very specific so they for sure won't guess in advance) and then the last night the big reveal! Have a wonderful cruise!

If you are good at blagging things you could say a friend has contacted you who is crew on board you knew from years back. He/she has invited you on board for lunch or dinner the day before the wedding. Put your cases into the "security luggage storage area" (for loading) so they do not get stolen out of the car. I know this boarding for lunch is not allowed but do the kids know that? Tell the kids you have brought all the documents to get on board just in case and you think it's a bit over the top securitywise for a lunch but we need to get on so tell them not to speak to anyone. If the guy behind the counter mentions cabin numbers etc. say yes we can sit in there and wait and confirm "we are not paying for the dinner". The penny will drop at some point. Possibly at the "it's leaving the pier mom!" stage.

Lol john

Edited by john watson

Whenever we enter Port Everglades in a taxi, we have to stop at the Sheriff's Security booth and show our passports. I don't know if private vehicles have to but suspect everyone must show ID. Sometimes they ask the driver to pop the trunk so they can see if there is luggage.

I'm someone who hates surprises and I don't process them well. Of course, you know your children but you may wish to think for a minute or so if they will be more thrilled to have a few days to think about their exciting upcoming cruise. Depending upon their ages, it could overwhelm them to have it sprung with such a surprise.

Hope you all have a fantastic time.

If you are good at blagging things you could say a friend has contacted you who is crew on board you knew from years back. He/she has invited you on board for lunch or dinner the day before the wedding. Put your cases into the "security luggage storage area" (for loading) so they do not get stolen out of the car. I know this boarding for lunch is not allowed but do the kids know that? Tell the kids you have brought all the documents to get on board just in case and you think it's a bit over the top securitywise for a lunch but we need to get on so tell them not to speak to anyone. If the guy behind the counter mentions cabin numbers etc. say yes we can sit in there and wait and confirm "we are not paying for the dinner". The penny will drop at some point. Possibly at the "it's leaving the pier mom!" stage.

Lol john

With invitation and proper compliance with Security, we have gone for lunch on board HAL ships a number of times. When the ships come to Boston, we have visited friends on board many times and it's great fun.

Whenever we enter Port Everglades in a taxi, we have to stop at the Sheriff's Security booth and show our passports.

I have not sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale yet, so this is probably the case. Maybe you could tell them just before you arrive at the port.

Usually teens are pretty good about figuring things out like this, they are smarter than we think they are. So, chances are they will know before you tell them.

If you think the kids will be OK with the surprise at the last minute, I'd go that route.

Someone mentioned luggage tags, so here's a thought: As you pull up to the guard to present ID and boarding info, pass the baggage tags (with the kids' names on them) to them, saying "Please put these on your bags the instant we get out of the car".

That way they'll see ship's name, sailing date, cabin #, and THEIR name. (You can pre-print the bag tags when you do online checkin, and select the # of tags for each passenger name.)

Hope you like this idea. It's a wonderful present for them!!

I also thought about just forgetting all that and presenting the tickets for the last night of Chaunukah and be done with it.

I vote for surprising them no later than the last night of Chaunukah. It is possible they might want to pack "things" for the cruise they wouldn't be packing for just FLL. Additionally if they know in advance they can look at the excursions and perhaps pick something want really want to do at one of the ports. Additionally, stopping at park-n-go is going to be the real give away.

But, most importantly, let them share their excitement with their friends and so that they can let them know that they will probably be "off the grid" for a week while they are at sea.

Wishing you and your teens a wonderful cruise.

If you think the kids will be OK with the surprise at the last minute, I'd go that route.

Someone mentioned luggage tags, so here's a thought: As you pull up to the guard to present ID and boarding info, pass the baggage tags (with the kids' names on them) to them, saying "Please put these on your bags the instant we get out of the car".

That way they'll see ship's name, sailing date, cabin #, and THEIR name. (You can pre-print the bag tags when you do online checkin, and select the # of tags for each passenger name.)

Hope you like this idea. It's a wonderful present for them!!

I know they will love a surprise like this and I think this will be a wonderful memory for them. I had my heart set on videoing their reaction but that might be hard as I will probably be driving. lol

We were at Port Everglades two weeks ago. At the entrance to the port, we had to show boarding pass, drivers license, and either passports or birth certificates. They want to be sure you're actually boarding a ship and not just joy riding. We had passports but the driver also had to show a drivers license.

We were at Port Everglades two weeks ago. At the entrance to the port, we had to show boarding pass, drivers license, and either passports or birth certificates. They want to be sure you're actually boarding a ship and not just joy riding. We had passports but the driver also had to show a drivers license.

Ever since a bit after 9-11, that is the rule at Port Everglades.

I think they might like a little advance notice so I think the last night of Chanukah would be a great idea. Maybe give them a small clue each night (nothing very specific so they for sure won't guess in advance) and then the last night the big reveal! Have a wonderful cruise!

I like this idea. My father used to make up clues about my biggest Christmas present. They were really out of left field and only made sense AFTER I got the gift. But it was fun trying to guess.

As another poster said, letting the kids know in advance will allow them to do a little extra planning. Anticipation can add to the fun of a trip.

Ever since a bit after 9-11, that is the rule at Port Everglades.

We arrived at the gate with boarding pass and passports in hand. Gate guard wanted to see the driver's driving license, not mine.

It was a bit of a hassle. The sign said do not exit car. Told the guard the driver's license was the wife's purse in the backpack in back of the car and that I would have to exit the car to get the license. She said that I couldn't exit the car. I told her that she either let me exit the car to get the license or she wouldn't get to see the license. She relented.

The signage does not say you will have to show a license.

I like this idea. My father used to make up clues about my biggest Christmas present. They were really out of left field and only made sense AFTER I got the gift. But it was fun trying to guess.

As another poster said, letting the kids know in advance will allow them to do a little extra planning. Anticipation can add to the fun of a trip.

I do like this idea but I am not terribly clever when writing clues.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but the two children are teens. If they are minors, I doubt you could just pull up to the ship and drop them to board on their own. I've never cruised with children, but I can't see them allowing the kids to just hang out outside while you go park and find your way back to the ship.

The idea of having a big reveal on the last day of Chanukah makes a lot of sense to me. They would probably get more out of the anticipation than a big surprise at the last minute that might not go just as you hoped.

Edited by Nanner

so tell them well in advance. They may have something planned with friends and will resent that you spoiled it. Best to be prepared as kids get sulky at even the best things.

Thanks but in my first post you see where I said they already know we are going out of town for the week for a wedding? They have no other plans than that.

After a very difficult year, I am taking myself and two teen children on a cruise over the winter break. We are sailing on the Westerdam, 12/19/15. As of yet, I have not told the kids we are going so that I could surprise them. They think we are going to my friends wedding in Fort Lauderdale and then staying on the beach for a vacation.

I told them that so they would pack the appropriate clothes, formal, casual beach ect. My plan was to drive over in the morning, we live near Tampa, then just pull up at the ship and surprise them. However, I'm not sure that can work due to security entrances, passport/ticket presentations to the guards ect. I also thought about maybe stopping somewhere so that the ship could be in the background and say something then.

I did pre-pay for parking a park n go, so that's another hurdle, drop them off first surprise? All of us shuttle over together?

PS: I do have passports for everyone and I have sole custody of the children, so no travel issues from that perspective.

Tell them your friends are getting married on the ship then lunch after.

Love the idea of a surprise. I did something similar several years ago, when I took my aunt for her Christmas present. I had an old postcard of the ship from a previous cruise and I just wrote the date on the back of the card and gave it to her.

Now I have an idea for you. I just came off the Westerdam last Saturday and I have all the daily programs and the explorer guide for the cruise. I would be happy to send them to you.

Contact me at : rmock238@yahoo.com

When you pick friends up after their cruise, you don't have a boarding pass and I am pretty sure you don't need a passport.

I don't know how they deal with that. I was asked for my passport and boarding pass for the first week of my October cruise. When I went out and came back for the second week I had my cruise card and had to show photo ID. I'd hate for people to not be prepared based on incorrect info.

Edited by cruz chic

When you pick friends up after their cruise, you don't have a boarding pass and I am pretty sure you don't need a passport.

I can't speak for anyone's friends' experience but I can firmly speak to my own. In the last years, we have without fail, every time we entered Port Everglades had to show our passport. We were not always asked for boarding pass (nor did I mention boarding passes above) but there were at least a few times they asked for boarding passes. Most of the time, they have not asked for anything but ID.