North America and Caribbean Sailings

AZMembergs

In my experience, it is always best to book thru a TA. Haven't found one yet where you can't get a discount or included credits, perks, etc.

You're lucky because I have tried TAs and honestly, didn't have good results. I prefer working with the viking folks, they answer all my questions and they work with you

We had TA that we used for years..... good at her job, great follow up, happy with cabin picks.....but no real financial benefit.

Then through CC several years ago I discovered we were missing out on the financial piece with her.....we moved to a different TA and found that we didn't have to give up anything, and at the same time gained a 15% price reduction on Viking and reductions on all cruise lines.

We still can interact directly with Viking if needed....they are indeed great to work with.... We are more than happy with our TA....

You're lucky because I have tried TAs and honestly, didn't have good results. I prefer working with the viking folks, they answer all my questions and they work with you

I'm with you. The two cruises we've done so far have been with a Viking TA who we've stuck with. She was great when we did our VR trip and was equally wonderful for our VO trip. We've become buddies. No discounts but I've been able to yak on the phone with her staring at cabin maps deciding which one to pick. I share pix with her and sent her emails about our cruise last Summer. What's not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm with you. The two cruises we've done so far have been with a Viking TA who we've stuck with. She was great when we did our VR trip and was equally wonderful for our VO trip. We've become buddies. No discounts but I've been able to yak on the phone with her staring at cabin maps deciding which one to pick. I share pix with her and sent her emails about our cruise last Summer. What's not to like?

Send me an email and I'll give you more information.

joel dot gilgoff at gmail.com

If you are happy with your TA because she yaks with you and you share pix with her then stick with her. If you want to save money you can switch to a TA who gives 15% off Viking. It's a huge savings. We have ben on Viking Danube river cruise, Viking China river cruise, and Viking Oceans Med cruise.

To Carol and Joel, thanks for the offer and advice. I guess if we did or had time for more than one cruise every other year (I still work full time and have to budget long vacations against the needs of work projects) I might be more avid about seeking discounts. Also I've found in the past that discounts usually involve a price (fewer selections, higher tier cabins or rooms only available via direct connection). However, if you've found a TA that gives you a discount while at the same time provides all the benefits of a direct connection, I might be persuaded to change our approach, especially after I finally do retire. Which is less than....yikes!!!....5 yrs away (current multi year project is actually fun and I want to see my part of it thru to the end).

Edited by CharTrav

To Carol and Joel, thanks for the offer and advice. I guess if we did or had time for more than one cruise every other year (I still work full time and have to budget long vacations against the needs of work projects) I might be more avid about seeking discounts. Also I've found in the past that discounts usually involve a price (fewer selections, higher tier cabins or rooms only available via direct connection). However, if you've found a TA that gives you a discount while at the same time provides all the benefits of a direct connection, I might be persuaded to change our approach, especially after I finally do retire. Which is less than....yikes!!!....5 yrs away (current multi year project is actually fun and I want to see my part of it thru to the end).

You were dealing with the wrong TA! [A big box store?] Real TAs offer the full range of available cabins -- and are able to see all cabins even when the public website only shows a few -- never charge more than the cruise line direct sales, and almost always give something back. We have used TAs for inside cabins without any issue.

I agree with Jazz. My TA not only saves me 15% but asks me to send her pictures and tour guide recommdations so she can share them with her clients. She will also yak with me. 15% on a river cruise is a LOT of money....I also am still working full time.

Sounds great! No cruise next year, maybe the year after. Daughter wedding next May & project deadline promises to meet. And I haven't made a dent in the pictures I took last Summer. I'd like to get those pictures plus the ones I took during the VR Grand European Tour in 2014 posted to my photo site. Before I add another ginormous batch to my ever growing pile. [emoji6]

Edited by CharTrav