Sydney hotel choice?

pv girl

Booked Holiday Inn Potts Point pre-cruise - for price and closeness to train station. Is it okay or do you recommend I look at something else> I am solo so looking for safe area and ease to train to get around for quick sightseeing.

The Potts Point area of Sydney is not a savoury area for a solo female traveller new to this area as it is very close to the famous Kings Cross district which in my opinion you would be best to avoid. Suggest you look around for something closer to the Sydney CBD or Sydney Harbour (Circular Quay) where train service is also very good. Just google Sydney Australia Hotel Accommodation. I'm sure you can find something.

I've seen a number of people here recommending the Wynyard Travelodge. It's close to Wynyard station, and close to both Circular Quay and Pitt St Mall which is the main shopping area in the CBD. I think that would be better than the Potts Point hotel (which actually appears to be in Kings Cross not Potts Point), especially for someone travelling solo.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I second Holiday Inn at the Rocks.:):)

Great location

My first choice when sailing from OPT wake up watch my ship arrive, check out wander over the road onto the ship, cant be easier, BUT not always easy to get a booking.

The Potts Point area of Sydney is not a savoury area for a solo female traveller new to this area as it is very close to the famous Kings Cross district which in my opinion you would be best to avoid. Suggest you look around for something closer to the Sydney CBD or Sydney Harbour (Circular Quay) where train service is also very good. Just google Sydney Australia Hotel Accommodation. I'm sure you can find something.

Good advice. Personally, stay at the Amora on Jamieson but the Travelodge and/or the Menzies all in same/excellent location.

Cheers

Di

Thanks to all who replied - guess that is why the rate was cheap - bad area. So nice to have locals help a first-time visitor. Hope I can return the favor when you visit California.

I will cancel the booking and keep looking. Guess I should just bite the bullet and pay the higher prices in CBD. What's the old saying - "you get what you pay for".....

Thanks to all who replied - guess that is why the rate was cheap - bad area. So nice to have locals help a first-time visitor. Hope I can return the favor when you visit California.

I will cancel the booking and keep looking. Guess I should just bite the bullet and pay the higher prices in CBD. What's the old saying - "you get what you pay for".....

Do stay in the CBD, if your time is limited then the extra costs will be outweighed by having everything that is glorious Sydney at your doorstep.

My only complaint about Menzies is its built over Wynyard Station and the train rumble can by a pain.

No its not. Its underground across Wynyard Park and closer to York Street. It must have been your belly rumbling.:D

Edited by happysnapper
Addit

We stay at Ibis. Can't think of the second part to it- world something.

We get it for around $109 per night & its $12 for a taxi to the port. Very close to everything but not in the dead centre.

"World Square"

• 2 weeks later...

Travelodge Wynyard, has had recent renovations, and is reasonably priced. Not too far to get to Circular Quay. Or, Holiday Inn The Rocks. Older decor, very close to the Quay, more expensive. If you have spare time, take a walk around the Rocks. It is the part of Sydney where Sydney began, and you can see a ton of historical buildings etc.

I stayed at the Menzies on a business trip almost 2 years ago. At the time thought it very very very tired and would not plan to return (other stayed at the Mantra in Bond Street and were very happy).

Interestingly, the Menzies is about to be demolished

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/en/News/2015/One-Carrington-Street-Sydney-redevelopment-approved

Edited by Docker123