Large Princess Ships Returning to Venice....??

Woobstr112G

Awhile ago, I posted reply on another thread about my desire to see Princess build ships under the 96K ton range so they once again sail out of Venice. I was just surfing the web and I saw a couple articles that peaked my interest. The first one was from the first part of the year (2015) that stated last year's ban on large cruise ships sailing out of Venice was overturned. I read a second article from the Guardian (June 2015) that stated the fate of the issue was riding on a mayoral race. I have looked for newer articles but haven't had any luck. Has anyone heard anything either way?

Bob

Yes the enforcement of the ban has been stayed. After being reinstated following a previous stay. And one before that.

The pertinent fact that any article should state is that all CLIA member cruise lines have agreed not to send any large ships to Venice until the issue has entirely wound its way through the system and there is no risk of any subsequent ban that would force cancellation of booked sailings. Or until a new channel is dug, which with all the politics involved may just happen first.

So if and when CLIA ever gives the green light again there will assuredly be huge publicity and of course an explosion of threads on Cruise Critic.

Yes the enforcement of the ban has been stayed. After being reinstated following a previous stay. And one before that.

The pertinent fact that any article should state is that all CLIA member cruise lines have agreed not to send any large ships to Venice until the issue has entirely wound its way through the system and there is no risk of any subsequent ban that would force cancellation of booked sailings. Or until a new channel is dug, which with all the politics involved may just happen first.

So if and when CLIA ever gives the green light again there will assuredly be huge publicity and of course an explosion of threads on Cruise Critic.

Thanks for the heads up.....:)

Yeah Bob there were some discussions here on CC about this earlier this year.

They are completing that new seawall as well and supposedly will have a new approach from the other end of the canal near the piers.

I totally missed the earlier discussions. I will miss the traditional sail away via the Giudecca (hope I spelled it right) canal, I eagerly await the time where I can once again book a pre cruise stay in Venice before boarding my ship. Venice is my favorite city of all places I have visited.....:):):)

Bob