Waterproof Camera

Dave&Robin

Good morning everyone,

I looking for some advise before I purchase a waterproof camera for my next cruise.

Just wondering if some of you would share what waterproof camera you use and why you like it.

Thanks so much for any help....I know we have some great photographers on these boards :)

Robin

Always a bit of a gamble to wait until you are onboard to shop as you are never sure what stock they will have. However, if you have significant OBC it can be a good way to spend it!

We bought a little Nikon waterproof on board a couple of years ago. Cost enough to give reasonable shots but not so much that if we lost it/damaged it it would be the end of the world.

I also have the Nikon Coolpix (I think its the AW110) the cost was around 200 or so a few years back. I believe they came out with an upgraded model the AW120. I use it and think its great. The pictures come out the same as my Canon SL1. Its easy to pack, fits in your pocket and being waterproof I can snorkel with it. It also takes HD Video.

Nice camera, but it really is not great. Too many options in the firm ware to chose from other than the auto mode. I use mine on tours that are rainy as well as some underwater/ beach pics.

IMHO I would not invest much money in a water proof camera unless you are serious about taking marine life pics that are National Geographic level.

IMHO I would not invest much money in a water proof camera unless you are serious about taking marine life pics that are National Geographic level.

The only flip side of that is I find that my waterproof camera is now really my go to vacation camera (I'm thinking about not even bothering to take my regular camera with me next time). My waterproof Canon D20 is in my beach bag and I don't have to worry if it rains, gets bumped around a bit or gets sand or anything else on it. Unless you want to take a SLR (?) with you, if you get a good waterproof camera it can be as good as most point and shoot cameras now and can be the only camera you take on vacation. I also find they do much better with the temperature changes from in the ship to the hot outside. My regular camera fogs up all the time.

I have had good luck with the Canon models. I had the D10 and it took decent pictures, until I full on it and ground rocks into the lens. Since then I have had the D20. I find it takes great pictures underwater and above water and it has been going strong now for a number of years and a number of cruises. Just make sure to always soak it in fresh water for 10 minutes after you have it in the ocean.

I just actually ordered the Panasonic TS5, not because I need a new camera but because I like to buy electronics and I now have a Panasonic as my main camera and this uses the same batteries, so I can share batteries and only bring one charger with me. It gets good reviews, so I hope I like it as much as I have liked my Canons!

We did a lot of research on waterproof cameras prior to our last cruise. We knew we would be on small boats and snorkeling. We wanted some video and photos while snorkeling in the caribbean, but mostly wanted quality pictures on the boat. We were very pleased with the Olympus TG-4. I still took my dslr, but we used both.

Good morning everyone,

I looking for some advise before I purchase a waterproof camera for my next cruise.

Just wondering if some of you would share what waterproof camera you use and why you like it.

Thanks so much for any help....I know we have some great photographers on these boards :)

Robin

Thanks for asking this question as we need the info as well. I did not know there was a photography forum, either.

We did a lot of research on waterproof cameras prior to our last cruise. We knew we would be on small boats and snorkeling. We wanted some video and photos while snorkeling in the caribbean, but mostly wanted quality pictures on the boat. We were very pleased with the Olympus TG-4. I still took my dslr, but we used both.

We also recently purchased the Olympus TG-4 and my husband loves it. Will be using it on our Galapagos cruise next week.

Good morning everyone,

Robin

If you pursue this question, it will help if you tell us what your intentions are. For example, my Pentax APS-C DSLR and my 645Z Pentax medium format cameras are both "weather proof" and I am quite comfortable using them in heavy surf (rinse the salt water off later), snow, heavy downpours, etc. But they are NOT for underwater usage; for that I have a couple of small cheap cameras. If you don't intend to go underwater, you can find weatherproof water resistant Nikon, Pentax and Canon cameras that will give far better image quality than the small underwater cameras. Just depends on what you really expect to be doing...

Thanks for asking this question as we need the info as well. I did not know there was a photography forum, either.

There are a bunch of really good dedicated photography sites out there that IMHO are more useful for good camera information that CC. Try this one

http://www.dpreview.com/?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=logo&utm_medium=image&ref=logo

Not to denigrate CC photo information but the responses you get on CC are more of the "I liked may camera because" response. Nothing wrong with that but dpreview has hard reviews by people who really know their camera and also do serious testing of them. When they review a camera, it can be many pages long and you have to actually read it instead of spending a couple of minutes just skimming it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

There are a bunch of really good dedicated photography sites out there that IMHO are more useful for good camera information that CC. Try this one

http://www.dpreview.com/?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=logo&utm_medium=image&ref=logo

Not to denigrate CC photo information but the responses you get on CC are more of the "I liked may camera because" response. Nothing wrong with that but dpreview has hard reviews by people who really know their camera and also do serious testing of them. When they review a camera, it can be many pages long and you have to actually read it instead of spending a couple of minutes just skimming it.

DON

It's also a geek fest filled with numbers and not in a language most people understand.

It's a perfect example of why Ken Rockwell is so popular. He speaks plain layman's language, isn't afraid to give you an opinion (people often just want you to tell them which to choose; not really decide for themselves), and doesn't blind you with numbers (but uses pictures to let you compare and contrast visually). He's not perfect, but for beginners, his "style" is very comforting and exactly what they're looking for.

I'd never send my parents to dpreview.com. Their eyes would just glaze over and they'd just end up asking me to tell them which camera to buy. Because I can read dpreview, but I'm now at the enthusiast level and I know what an f stop is, know what a certain mm range means without needing to convert it into a number like 10x zoom.

Anyways, I've just started playing around with my GoPro and it's pretty amazing. That said, there's no zoom on it. I've used an Olympus waterproof camera before. It's ok. The pics I got out of it weren't as nice as a corresponding Nikon an acquaintance had, but he wasn't overly thrilled with his Nikon either for reasons I can't remember anymore. I prefer Canon or Sony point and shoots and the waterproof ones I have seen are good enough for vacation, but don't match a plain Canon or Sony point and shoot IMO. Personally, I'd just use it for underwater and would use something else when not at the beach (which now would be my dslr).

Edited by codex57

I have two Olympus Tough cameras and don't leave home without both of them. I feel they take such fabulous pictures that I don't even bother bringing my heavy DSLR and all the equipment with me on cruises anymore.

They take pretty good underwater pictures, night pictures and landscaping as well. There's several pretty neat features on them that can do multiple things. If you've read any of my reviews over the last several years, any pictures within them are done with those cameras. :)

• 3 weeks later...