What is Uber?

Sea saw 56

I have read about the metro mover and that it does not operate in the main flow of traffic (looking to fly into Miami and stay in downtown Miami area near Bayside Market Place). I have read many threads referencing Uber, but what is it? Is it private like a cab? Need to make a pre-reservation? Everywhere or only select locations? On the ground? In the air? Don't like to plan around anyone else's schedule........What the heck is an "Uber"?

uber is basically a cheaper taxi service using private drivers. You access them via your smartphone, setting up an account in advance. No money changes hands. Uber collects and distributes the funds.

We would like to try Uber from Hampton Inn Brickel to POM. Do they service this area?

jumping on the uber thread as to not start a new one.

Would Uber be able to transport us from a Hotel near FLL airport to Port of Miami on a Saturday Morning?

Yes. I'm doing it myself and it is half the price of a taxi. When you join if you use a code the first ride is $20 off so it would cost you like $15 to $20 out of pocket

Yes. I'm doing it myself and it is half the price of a taxi. When you join if you use a code the first ride is $20 off so it would cost you like $15 to $20 out of pocket

Thanks for all of the great info. I plan on using Uber this Saturday from Fort Lauderdale hotel to POM and was trying to find out how I could book in advance to lower my stress level.

We would like to try Uber from Hampton Inn Brickel to POM. Do they service this area?

Yes they do, I use Uber constantly here. It's a great area as there are always lots of various Uber drivers around and you can pick from regular cars up to cars like Mercedes. I very rarely wait long for a car, sometimes it arrives in less than two minutes and I'm not ready if though the estimate is longer. Just don't hit the button until you are ready to go!

I wouldn't feel comfortable about going from FLL to POM on the same day as the cruise and hoping there is a Uber pickup available at the same time hundreds of other people may have same idea.

It always amazes me that with all the cost of the cruise and flights and drinks onboard, that people are always trying to finding the cheapest way to get to the ship. I would only get a taxi when it is a quick ride from the airport or hotel to the ship. Otherwise we pre-book to ensure pickup.

I wouldn't feel comfortable about going from FLL to POM on the same day as the cruise and hoping there is a Uber pickup available at the same time hundreds of other people may have same idea.

It always amazes me that with all the cost of the cruise and flights and drinks onboard, that people are always trying to finding the cheapest way to get to the ship. I would only get a taxi when it is a quick ride from the airport or hotel to the ship. Otherwise we pre-book to ensure pickup.

I haven't given up taxies altogether but for us it is not about the money, more the convenience and less waiting especially when you are disembarking a ship.

I had read that they were no longer able to be in business in Ft.Lauderdale. I use Lyft in Nashville but Uber would be fine. Can someone verify that they have used them recently? We are going from Airport to the ship Dec 10th.

The ban was lifted in mid-October. See this still current thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2269516

Edited by capriccio

I haven't given up taxies altogether but for us it is not about the money, more the convenience and less waiting especially when you are disembarking a ship.

I think that post was more about pre-arranging ground transportation to the port rather than hoping to figure it out when you get there, and not so much a taxi vs uber thing.

I was a fan of Uber....loved it. UNTIL I needed to utilize customer service to fix my account access. It locked me out and would not reset my password. You can only email them, and I only received unhelpful canned responses that did not pertain to my problem. This went on for days.....finally after nearly 20 emails I received the help I needed. I deleted the app and will never go back. Horible customer service, and if I had a real issue, I'm worried it would never be resolved. In the moment of the app problem, I also had to make alternate arrangements for transportation because of this situation. Frustration.....

Edited by dpcmh