New Potential West Coast Cruises

mcrcruiser

Do you feel that Celebrity & Royal Caribbean will deploy more ships through the new (wider & longer locks) Panama Canal in 2016 to the Pacific ,due to all the turmoil in Europe with refugee problems & sailing the Med with ISIS issues ?

Do you feel that Celebrity & Royal Caribbean will deploy more ships through the new (wider & longer locks) Panama Canal in 2016 to the Pacific ,due to all the turmoil in Europe with refugee problems & sailing the Med with ISIS issues ?

I don't think that RCI will do more cruises on the West Coast or the Panama Canal. The cost transiting thru the new Canal will be significant compared using the old one. The Oasis class is too big to pass thru the canal even the new one. There aren't many ports that can handle the Voyager class ships on the West Coast .

Celebrity might bring some more Solstice Class ships . It all depends their long range deployment plans.

I don't think that RCI will do more cruises on the West Coast or the Panama Canal. The cost transiting thru the new Canal will be significant compared using the old one. The Oasis class is too big to pass thru the canal even the new one. There aren't many ports that can handle the Voyager class ships on the West Coast .

Celebrity might bring some more Solstice Class ships . It all depends their long range deployment plans.

The Voyager Class has called on LA, SF, Astoria, Seattle and Victoria, BC. Has also called on Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. There are probably some that I have missed.

The Explorer will be heading to Alaska this summer.

Where will they be missing?

Edited by looking4info

The Ruby & Crown Princess handle the West Coast ports just fine. They're only about 20,000 GRT smaller than the Voyager Class, so I wouldn't think that would make too much of a difference - at least from all the Mex. Riv. ports I've been to so far. There seems to be plenty of port space and tendering capabilities and I don't think the Voyager Class' draft is that much deeper but I don't know the specific requirements of this class of ship.

I can only hope that BOTH cruise lines do more West Coast itineraries!! :)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

RCI had the MOS on the west coast for a few years . They moved it to Australia and Asia because there wasn't any demand it the time. There never did try doing Alaska with it. That might be the game changer if they do Alaska .

Vancouver isn't a port they can access due to the height of the Lion's Gate Bridge .

The Oasis class is too big to pass thru the canal even the new one. That is incorrect. They could fit through the new canal the problems is that Oasis Class are to tall to pass under the Bridge of the Americas even at low tide.

The Oasis class is too big to pass thru the canal even the new one. That is incorrect. They could fit through the new canal the problems is that Oasis Class are to tall to pass under the Bridge of the Americas even at low tide.

This still means they can't go thru the Panama Canal. The locks are only part of the overall canal. When I refer to the Panama Canal I' m referring to all of it including the bridges , dredged channel and the both sets of locks.

RCI had the MOS on the west coast for a few years . They moved it to Australia and Asia because there wasn't any demand it the time. There never did try doing Alaska with it. That might be the game changer if they do Alaska .

Vancouver isn't a port they can access due to the height of the Lion's Gate Bridge .

Demand has nothing to do with the ports being able to handle the Voyager Class ships. There are sufficient west coast ports to handle this class of ship.

Also, not if they do Alaska.... they are doing Alaska

I get on every Pacific Coastal that I can manage.

I love the temperate weather, and we find all of the ports interesting. Bottom line is, sometimes I just want to get on a ship, float on the ocean, and be pampered. I also like to get off in the West Coast ports and get some exercise, and the west coast ports are some of the loveliest to walk around.

I'd like the itineraries to be at least 10 nights long (12 is better), and if they are adding Cabo San Lucas (for San Jose del Cabo) 14 nights would be great.

I would also like at least one Pacific Coast itinerary that teachers and kids could sail on.

It's not that I am afraid to go to Europe, or almost any itinerary, but the West Coast itineraries are the most relaxing for me and without having to fly to the east coast or even further, we can afford at least one more cruise per year!

Demand has nothing to do with the ports being able to handle the Voyager Class ships. There are sufficient west coast ports to handle this class of ship.

Also, not if they do Alaska.... they are doing Alaska

The MOS didn't do Alaska when it was on the West Coast . We were hoping when it the west coast that we could do Alaska on it.

We are doing a R/T from Seattle September 2016 on the Explorer. September 2015 we Cruised on the Jewel leaving Vancouver and ending in Long Beach. We tendered at Monterey and Santa Barbara. We also would like to see Celebrity and RCCL do a few more West Coast Cruises. They don't need to be the so called Mega ships (Oasis and Allure). Even in the Caribbean those ships are limited to where they sail to. The Summit or the Eclipse would be a nice choice.

Edited by davekathy

We are doing a R/T from Seattle September 2016 on the Explorer. September 2015 we Cruised on the Jewel leaving Vancouver and ending in Long Beach. We tendered at Monterey and Santa Barbara. We also would like to see Celebrity and RCCL do a few more West Coast Cruises. They don't need to be the so called Mega ships (Oasis and Allure). Even in the Caribbean those ships are limited to where they sail to.

In 2013 we did a 10-night Pacific Coastal on the Solstice, leaving from Seattle. It was an awesome cruise, except for having to be bussed back from Ensenada. That wasn't completely awful, but perhaps not the best 3 hours I've ever spent. :p

I love the S-class ships and a Vancouver to San Diego itinerary on Solstice would be perfect (or vice versa). The Solstice has been retrofitted with a retractable mast so that it can fit under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

Edited by elena7seas

In 2013 we did a 10-night Pacific Coastal on the Solstice, leaving from Seattle. It was an awesome cruise, except for having to be bussed back from Ensenada. That wasn't completely awful, but perhaps not the best 3 hours I've ever spent. :p

I love the S-class ships and a Vancouver to San Diego itinerary on Solstice would be perfect (or vice versa). The Solstice has been retrofitted with a retractable mast so that it can fit under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

You've got my vote. We'll continue our yearly spring Caribbean Cruises but now that we are both retired we are also liking the idea of fall West Coast Cruises.

Edited by davekathy

The MOS didn't do Alaska when it was on the West Coast . We were hoping when it the west coast that we could do Alaska on it.

Never implied or said the Mariner did Alaska. Was referring to Voyager Class ships.

From my original post.

The Explorer will be heading to Alaska this summer.

Doesn't much matter where they fit highly doubtful Royal will be back even seasonal (not referring to a couple trips) anytime soon.

Edited by looking4info

Simply said NO. The problem with West Coast trips is not the Panama Canal, but rather where do you port in Mexico? With there being only a few ports with dockage and at least two of those not safe - Acapulco is overrun with thugs with AKs and littered with filth these days for example - so where do you go. San Francisco has limited capacity as does Long Beach and San Diego. Most others today are tender ports and their own set of issues.

Since the West coast season is only a couple months and Alaska cruises are full it seems there is where lines will venture.

Completely agree with you here. I love the S-class ships, and would love to see some long (12-14 night) west coast cruises on the Solstice.

As for Celebrity deploying a ship full time on the West Coast - probably not. With that said, I feel they should add additional California Coastal sailings with their ships already sailing in the region. Unfortunately, they simply do not have enough ships to do everything that all of us would like. When the Edge class make their debut, that should give Celebrity more flexibility, but that will depend if the M-Class remain. With some recent upgrading of the M-Class, I feel the odds are good they will stick around for at least a few more years.... hopefully longer !

If I could play deployment manager for a day, I'd probably reduce their Europe exposure by 1 ship next Summer, but not solely for geopolitical reasons. Sadly, bad things can happen anywhere. I also feel there's economic reasons to consider bringing a ship back to the US - but for Summer Caribbean, perhaps with some Bermuda sailings from Florida in the mix. Celebrity has not tried Summer Caribbean in 6 years (as of Summer 2016), and I feel it's a good time to consider it again. The big thing I'd do differently from Summer 2010, is to not ONLY offer 7 night sailings. I'd get super creative, and throw the kitchen sink at it. Offer a wide mix of sailing lengths, from 5-14 nights. See what works best, and use it as a template for Summer 2017.

With that said, Celebrity seems completely stubborn on the issue, and continues to offer more perks (and bonus points) for Europe bookings, so my guess is, they are going to tough it out, and hope for the best. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Host Andy

I have been hoping for a return of RCI to the West Coast. When I was on the Equinox in November I finally got an answer that seemed more plausible than previous ones I had been given.

First I was told that violence in Mexico and the outbreak of H1N1 caused bookings to plummet. So the Mariner left along with reduced offerings from other cruise lines.

Now I was told that cruising from California is cost prohibitive for RCI - too many environmental restrictions, added cost for more environmentally friendly fuel etc.

Only Princess has maintained a real presence in LA! I am grateful!

Carnival has only one modern ship, a few -no balcony ships with short itineraries.

It seems that the West Coast would be attractive to all, especially families.

There are so many family friendly shore excursions possible!

Now that my very young grandchildren love cruising we hate the trek to Florida or Texas to enjoy a cruise with them. RCI is our first choice for cruising with children.

As far as the Panama Canal I am just off the Equinox with a stop in Panama. While on the ferry through the canal I was told that even with the new locks the biggest ships will not be able to do a full transit because they wii not fit under the bridges leading into the locks. I don't know if this info in accurate - just reporting what I was told.

RCI and X -come back to the west coast!

I have been hoping for a return of RCI to the West Coast. When I was on the Equinox in November I finally got an answer that seemed more plausible than previous ones I had been given.

First I was told that violence in Mexico and the outbreak of H1N1 caused bookings to plummet. So the Mariner left along with reduced offerings from other cruise lines.

Now I was told that cruising from California is cost prohibitive for RCI - too many environmental restrictions, added cost for more environmentally friendly fuel etc.

Carnival has only one modern ship, a few -no balcony ships with short itineraries.

Now that my very young grandchildren love cruising we hate the trek to Florida or Texas to enjoy a cruise with them. RCI is our first choice for cruising with children.

As far as the Panama Canal I am just off the Equinox with a stop in Panama. While on the ferry through the canal I was told that even with the new locks the biggest ships will not be able to do a full transit because they wii not fit under the bridges leading into the locks. I don't know if this info in accurate - just reporting what I was told.

Imo even if the bridges are too low for the mega ships to do a full transit ,they could raise the bridge heights ,for the revenue of these mega ships would be huge for the Panama ;) This is a plausible solution ;)

Imo even if the bridges are too low for the mega ships to do a full transit ,they could raise the bridge heights ,for the revenue of these mega ships would be huge for the Panama ;) This is a plausible solution ;)

If they raise the bridges it means building new ones . Another thing that can use to increase rates for full transits.

I guess we are the odd people out. We are itinerary driven and our cruise dollars are allocated to see the world. We would not cruise the Pacific Coast as it would be so easy to drive for a land based holiday. For the same reason, we have not been to the Caribbean in years (same old, same old islands). Different strokes:D

Another shout out for West Coast Cruising. The hell with Mexico. Don't get me wrong we've enjoyed our Mexico Cruises. However the good ole' USA and Canada West Coast has a lot to offer and beautiful. We sailed the Jewel this past September leaving from Vancouver and ending in Long Beach. Fantastic itinerary. September 2016 we are Cruising the West Coast again on the Explorer. This Cruise is a R/T from Seattle. The itinerary is a little different than our 2015 September Cruise. Looking forward to that Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

Another shout out for West Coast Cruising. The hell with Mexico. Don't get me wrong we've enjoyed our Mexico Cruises. However the good ole' USA and Canada West Coast has a lot to offer and beautiful. We sailed the Jewel this past September leaving from Vancouver and ending in Long Beach. Fantastic itinerary. September 2016 we are Cruising the West Coast again on the Explorer. This Cruise is a R/T from Seattle. The itinerary is a little different than our 2015 September Cruise. Looking forward to that Cruise.

This is why I love CC! I have never sailed Royal and didn't even realize they were doing this RT Seattle itinerary in Sept. Just booked it! I was originally booked on the Infinity Pacific Coastal RT from Vancouver sailing Sept 18th. Changing to the Explorer saved me not only quite a bit of money, but saved the trouble of flights and hotel. Now I have a fun local cruise that is truly local (a short, 30 minute ferry ride to the pier!). Thanks again. :)

This is why I love CC! I have never sailed Royal and didn't even realize they were doing this RT Seattle itinerary in Sept. Just booked it! I was originally booked on the Infinity Pacific Coastal RT from Vancouver sailing Sept 18th. Changing to the Explorer saved me not only quite a bit of money, but saved the trouble of flights and hotel. Now I have a fun local cruise that is truly local (a short, 30 minute ferry ride to the pier!). Thanks again. :)

I agree. Welcome aboard.

...Now I was told that cruising from California is cost prohibitive for RCI - too many environmental restrictions, added cost for more environmentally friendly fuel etc....

Now that sounds much more plausible than the other guesses as to why Celebrity won't spend more time on the West Coast. Welcome to our *wonderful* bureaucratic state. :mad: