Celebrity, Ban the band "LAX"... from Reflection!

albether7

Yes, as many others have reported LAX is a popular airport,

...but as a cruise band they are a poor selection on a Celebrity ship:(

After so many great band experiences, this is so disappointing!

Please I convinced my friends to sail on the Relection, and they love cruise bands. So, an off-key, limited song playing list, and a music style totally wrong for the prevailing age demographics, they are concerned reading reviews from multiple Cruise sites....

Somebody, help!!!

Al

Edited by albether7

Just off the Thanksgiving sailing on the Reflection and unfortunately they are not that good. The male lead singer has a very weak voice, I mean barely worth listening to. They also seemed to play the exact same songs every time I saw them.

Sitting at the passport bar before dinner getting a drink was painful sometimes we would just hope the DJ in Martini bar would start playing and make them shut up. The guitarist in the ensemble lounge, and the jazz quartet were amazing they both had great voices and accepted song requests so seek them out. Avoid LAX at all costs.

Just off the Thanksgiving sailing on the Reflection and unfortunately they are not that good. The male lead singer has a very weak voice, I mean barely worth listening to. They also seemed to play the exact same songs every time I saw them.

Sitting at the passport bar before dinner getting a drink was painful sometimes we would just hope the DJ in Martini bar would start playing and make them shut up. The guitarist in the ensemble lounge, and the jazz quartet were amazing they both had great voices and accepted song requests so seek them out. Avoid LAX at all costs.

Wow! This is our first S-CLASS cruise, but given the extremely negative reviews about the dancing and bands, i.e LAX, I'm considering going back to NCL or even Carnival:confused:

Please, could someone give me some other music or dance alternatives on-board Reflection???

Thank you!

Wow! This is our first S-CLASS cruise, but given the extremely negative reviews about the dancing and bands, i.e LAX, I'm considering going back to NCL or even Carnival:confused:

Please, could someone give me some other music or dance alternatives on-board Reflection???

Thank you!

Seems like the segment of the post you quoted gives you several alternatives: guitarist, jazz quartet (both of which the poster said were excellent) and a DJ in the Martini Bar.

What other alternatives were you looking for?

For the first half of the recent Reflection TA, LAX had an additional girl singer. She was missing for the second half. She took most of the lead vocals and was VERY good. The repetoire changed after her departure, it wasnt as varied.

I've played in bands over the years and know how difficult it is to please everybody in crowds of a hundred or so. To please 3000 is absolutely impossible .

LAX`are far from being the worst band I have seen on cruise ship, so cut them some slack.

Bit harsh to ask for them to be sacked.

For the first half of the recent Reflection TA, LAX had an additional girl singer. She was missing for the second half. She took most of the lead vocals and was VERY good. The repetoire changed after her departure, it wasnt as varied.

I've played in bands over the years and know how difficult it is to please everybody in crowds of a hundred or so. To please 3000 is absolutely impossible .

LAX`are far from being the worst band I have seen on cruise ship, so cut them some slack.

Bit harsh to ask for them to be sacked.

I agree totally that you can't always please everyone, but the prevailing sentiment seems to be that they can't please anyone. I see nothing wrong in not renewing their contract if they are that bad.

Whether or not they actually are bad really doesn't matter. What matters is passenger's interest/opinions...which translate into "let's sit here, order a drink and listen" vs "let's get out of here and not order anything".

If there are many more negatives than positives, Celebrity probably should listen....

Seems like the segment of the post you quoted gives you several alternatives: guitarist, jazz quartet (both of which the poster said were excellent) and a DJ in the Martini Bar.

What other alternatives were you looking for?

I guess I was hoping for a band you could dance to...

Edited by idecor8

Thank you!

Bands and entertainment in the bars are much better on Carnival, not sure about NCL

was on the october ta and we thought they were Awful......compared to other bands from previous cruises they were extremely bad and when I spoke to a staff member about them I was told they were "first timers" it certainly showed

In other words, they were cheap ($) and that may trump skill at Celebrity.

I have just returned from Eclipse and the the house band was a five piece from New Zealand, called Latitude.

After seeing a multitude of bands from the Philippines on Celebrity ships who all sounded the same, Latitude were a big breath of fresh air.

During the first week there was a 11pm concert on the grass lawn described as when Glastonbury meets Woodstock and trust me Latitude rocked! Equally they were adapt and professional at pop and the classics at the other venues around the ship.

Well that's good to hear!

Maybe Celebrity will realize their bar sales are going down at the bar nearest the LAX band and will get the point to get rid of them. Having a bad band near the bar is bad business!

Ok...Now I'm concerned!!! I guess the plan will be to "not expect too much re. music

(which is ironic, seeing this was always my "dream" cruise on X as a "premium" cruise line:confused: )

...and look to for other enjoyments to look forward to.

BTW: NCL and Carnival have the talented bands from the Philippines.

The decor8'r:)

I have just returned from Eclipse and the the house band was a five piece from New Zealand, called Latitude.

After seeing a multitude of bands from the Philippines on Celebrity ships who all sounded the same, Latitude were a big breath of fresh air.

During the first week there was a 11pm concert on the grass lawn described as when Glastonbury meets Woodstock and trust me Latitude rocked! Equally they were adapt and professional at pop and the classics at the other venues around the ship.

I hope they're at the beginning of their contract and will still be on in February.

The lawn has always been an underutilized space and some creative thinking sounds great! :D

I hope they're at the beginning of their contract and will still be on in February.

The lawn has always been an underutilized space and some creative thinking sounds great! :D

I think you are in luck.

I spoke with band and suggested a couple of songs which would go down well during the night on the grass, (one suggestion was Comfortably Numb which would work with the twin vocalists, at this point the guitarist got really excited telling me he can play the solo already, but it might take another two weeks for the rest of the band to fine tune it).

They are onboard until March, then they have a month's break, after that they are off to Millennium

I think you are in luck.

I spoke with band and suggested a couple of songs which would go down well during the night on the grass, (one suggestion was Comfortably Numb which would work with the twin vocalists, at this point the guitarist got really excited telling me he can play the solo already, but it might take another two weeks for the rest of the band to fine tune it).

They are onboard until March, then they have a month's break, after that they are off to Millennium

Thank you, thank you!!!

Just found out we seem to have lost Sue Denning as our CD so it's great to hear some good news. :D

I hope they are still onboard over new year

On our cruise, there was a live band on the sail away. After that, it was DJ music.

We were expecting a guitarist, steel band, etc. Not to be.

There was plenty of music in the evening around the ship and it was of excellent quality. The shows were really enjoyable. We still had a good time but we did miss the live music around the pool.