12 Apostles Tour From Melbourne?

Kartgv

According to the same tour guide on our tour, TV news tracked down the 2 rescued people earlier this year as a 25 year follow-up on the event. There was no mention of anything untoward with them, just that they never had a long standing relationship after that, which of course would have made an interesting story to tell the grandkids. The guy said that to this day, it was still the single most scariest thing that has happened in his life.

And there are a number of references to there currently being 8 of the 'original' 9:eek:

According to the same tour guide on our tour, TV news tracked down the 2 rescued people earlier this year as a 25 year follow-up on the event. There was no mention of anything untoward with them, just that they never had a long standing relationship after that, which of course would have made an interesting story to tell the grandkids. The guy said that to this day, it was still the single most scariest thing that has happened in his life.

And there are a number of references to there currently being 8 of the 'original' 9:eek:

I imagine that you wouldn't know if what you were standing on would stay upright as well.:eek:

I imagine that you wouldn't know if what you were standing on would stay upright as well.:eek:

Yes it would have been a hell of a shock. The inner span that collapsed was about the area of a football field, & the fallen rock completely disappeared into the ocean, which was about 45m deep.

The story goes that a local lady who witnessed the event, headed back to Pt Campbell Police station & told them that London Bridge had fallen down. They didn't take too much notice at first, but she convinced an officer to follow her to the scene. He sprung into action when he saw what she was talking about :D

Yes it would have been a hell of a shock. The inner span that collapsed was about the area of a football field, & the fallen rock completely disappeared into the ocean, which was about 45m deep.

The story goes that a local lady who witnessed the event, headed back to Pt Campbell Police station & told them that London Bridge had fallen down. They didn't take too much notice at first, but she convinced an officer to follow her to the scene. He sprung into action when he saw what she was talking about :D

I suppose it makes for a funny story but it would have been quite shocking.:eek:

Hi to all,

I organised a private tour to the 12 Apostles along the Great Ocean Road last year, when the Volendam had an overnight stay in Melbourne.

That overnight stay was probably the main reason for taking that particular cruise so that we could do the Great Ocean Road.

We departed the ship (picked up at the dock) around 9:30am and did not return until 11pm that night!

Around 25 or so others were in my group and all were delighted with that tour, some even saying it was the best tour of the entire cruise.

We went out along the Great Ocean Road with stops along the way, arrived at the 12 Apostles around 4:30pm, great scenery even then, as it was summer (November). Had tea at Port Campbell, included in the tour price, and returned via the inland road.

Could highly recommend this trip, PROVIDED you have an overnight stay in Melbourne.

Would not attempt it if only staying for the day on a cruise. Our tour was not rushed and visited a number of other places along the way. Great memories!

I have seen reports of other cruises now stopping on the other side (western)of Port Campbell, with the advertising saying 'so that you can visit the Great Ocean Road'.

Our tour was with "EscapeDiscoveryAdventures" in Melbourne. Can highly recommend them, even if not on a cruise.

Rosee

Hi to all,

Our tour was with "EscapeDiscoveryAdventures" in Melbourne. Can highly recommend them, even if not on a cruise.

Rosee

Thanks for this information. We are in Melbourne for a few days before our NZ cruise leaves and I've booked this tour with this company. It's nice to hear a good report!

Cheryl

And two of them had spouses at home watching the rescue on TV - discovering their partners were having a fling! Very bad timing.

Note - there were never actually 12 - ever! The name came from the bible reference. Earliest records of their discovery do not mention 12 structures. So no one has ever been "ripped off".

:eek:i remember it falling down and those lucky not to be on the bit that fell , i did not know about the fact that they were having a fling wow !!!

yes there used to be 12 but as it is sand stone and it is getting eroded by the sea and they have in the past mentioned on the news that one has fallen here and there etc they do still call it the 12 apostles why i don't know maybe to not confuse any ,who may think that the 7 apostles maybe somewhere else as they only know them as the 12 apostles

We recently did an independent small group tour of Gt Ocean Rd on our cruise visit to Melbourne. The only way it worked was that we overnighted in Melb, as we were 12 hours on that tour - it was fantastic!

The ONLY way to do anything close to justice is to take the coast rd down - going down & back via Colac will provide very little. The whole road from just south of Geelong is the attraction, not just the apostles. We went as far as London Bridge.

And on that, there were never 12, well not in recorded history. Info from our tour guide is that they were originally called the Sow & Piglets, but this was changed in the 1950's to a 'more marketable' name. There is 8 1/4 now, according to our travel mate that counted them :) in a few thousand years there will likely be some new ones, but some existing ones may be gone by then.

OP, there is much more to see in Melb on a port stop than the gardens. I would do a half day tour &/or a cruise on the Yarra, to see a bit of what Melb has to offer.

Thanks for this info Mr Walker - we may consider doing similar whilst visiting Melbourne on the Spirit for the Cup cruise!

This video is interesting -

:D

Thanks for the link, Mic - very informative & brings back memories of our trip last month.

Thanks for this info Mr Walker - we may consider doing similar whilst visiting Melbourne on the Spirit for the Cup cruise!

It's my pleasure. If you do want to do some independent tours eg Gt Ocean Rd, or Dandenongs or Phillip Is penguins, I can thoroughly recommend 'A Tour With A Difference' - small groups only & very accommodating