AQUAHOUND, are you around?

perditax

Thanks for the link Perditax. I've been hearing about this all day. I'll go over to that board.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if you followed NCL board specifically. I have a morbid true crime hobby, I was following the San Bernardino incident closely :( and I also board a PoM ship next week. So that situation really caught my attention and I know you have some expertise. I saw your responses; I guess the situation is 'over' now but I really wonder what the deal was.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if you followed NCL board specifically. I have a morbid true crime hobby, I was following the San Bernardino incident closely :( and I also board a PoM ship next week. So that situation really caught my attention and I know you have some expertise. I saw your responses; I guess the situation is 'over' now but I really wonder what the deal was.

Yeah this was a weird one. I knew it was happening but like news broadcasts, sometimes the real time info getting passed, even by law enforcement, isn't corroborated yet. As far as I can tell, this one ended with everyone accounted for. Supposedly they had someone in custody last night, but I haven't heard any confirmation of that from LE, or if it was started from passenger rumors.

Perditax...you owe me! ;) There's a reason I don't frequent the NCL boards and a couple people on that thread...one in particular...are a reminder why. I swear, I think they act that way on purpose. :rolleyes:

I am butting in here but I saw the remarks that were made to you and could not believe how ridiculous people can be. Wanted to say something on that thread but what's the point?

Thank you for providing the only sane responses. Why anyone would challenge you when this is your profession is beyond me but then again, it's CC and everyone is an expert :)

Perditax...you owe me! ;) There's a reason I don't frequent the NCL boards and a couple people on that thread...one in particular...are a reminder why. I swear, I think they act that way on purpose. :rolleyes:

Haha, I've been trying to make sense of that thread on and off today, but I think I have too many posters on ignore over there and it's like trying to read a heavily redacted file. ;) Or else people just aren't making any sense, equally likely.

Sorry, I was just interested in the LE procedural side really. :) Mea culpa.

Edited by perditax

It's not only the NCL board, I tend to get insulted on a pretty equal opportunity basis on any board. :p I'm sure you feel, like me, pretty quixotic in trying to present facts to the "informed experts" here. There may have to be some additions to my ignore list (which is pretty small, actually) after that thread. Stay safe.

I would bet my bottom dollar I know who at least one of the "experts" is and they will argue to the death. A friend met said person and in real life is nothing like their CC persona. They are a real internet cowboy behind the anonymity of their computer.:D

I would bet my bottom dollar I know who at least one of the "experts" is and they will argue to the death. A friend met said person and in real life is nothing like their CC persona. They are a real internet cowboy behind the anonymity of their computer.:D

Ha. Thats what I thought. That describes most keyboard commandos. :cool: Would said cowboy be a certain amphibious creature? ;)

Aquahound, I have to say I love the word "tourons"! Perfect for so many people, sadly. But, as much of an expert as you are on maritime issues, I'm afraid you were wrong in your post #195...those people were DIAMOND. Of COURSE they should have been able to do whatever they wanted, no matter what the security protocols were! ;)

Ha. Thats what I thought. That describes most keyboard commandos. :cool: Would said cowboy be a certain amphibious creature? ;)

Yes, you got it.:D I wanted to respond to him that he obviously had no idea who he was spouting off to and he was looking like a complete fool.:p

Aqua, another tangent--there was another thread you and I both participated in about background checks on Ccl/rci. It got bumped earlier today with what seemed to be a first hand account of someone who claimed to be a RSO who was detained/denied while trying to board RCL. He said something about a third party security firm? And said he had cruised before and had to struggle to get them to even tell him why he was denied boarding. For some reason the thread was deleted, not sure why as the poster was ... Angry but articulate, and appeared to be providing factual, not terribly hyperbolic info. (it was not the OP, and the poster's membership dated to 2010). Anyway, thought you might be interested in more info on that situation (pax background checks, or at least "registry" checking).

(My true crime hobby is one reason that kind of thread catches my attention. I have no criminal record myself. But hey, the night is young.)

Edited by perditax

Aqua, another tangent--there was another thread you and I both participated in about background checks on Ccl/rci. It got bumped earlier today with what seemed to be a first hand account of someone who claimed to be a RSO who was detained/denied while trying to board RCL. He said something about a third party security firm? And said he had cruised before and had to struggle to get them to even tell him why he was denied boarding. For some reason the thread was deleted, not sure why as the poster was ... Angry but articulate, and appeared to be providing factual, not terribly hyperbolic info. (it was not the OP, and the poster's membership dated to 2010). Anyway, thought you might be interested in more info on that situation (pax background checks, or at least "registry" checking).

(My true crime hobby is one reason that kind of thread catches my attention. I have no criminal record myself. But hey, the night is young.)

Thats something I only recently have been made aware of. Up until recently, background checks were conducted by CBP upon receipt of the manifest...which was at sailing. That's why most people with warrants aren't picked up until they hit the first US port. Cruise lines really only pinged on folks that were already flagged with that line...meaning something happened on a past cruise. However, a couple lines have started doing their own background checks that include full criminal history. I think it started with Carnival and it looks like RCI is starting to do it. I'm not sure what caused the lines to start doing this, but I suspect it has something to do with the recent mandate for lines to reports crime stats to the FBI.

Aquahound, I have to say I love the word "tourons"! Perfect for so many people, sadly. But, as much of an expert as you are on maritime issues, I'm afraid you were wrong in your post #195...those people were DIAMOND. Of COURSE they should have been able to do whatever they wanted, no matter what the security protocols were! ;)

Ah ha! You know those pesky D members! ;)

It's not only the NCL board, I tend to get insulted on a pretty equal opportunity basis on any board. :p I'm sure you feel, like me, pretty quixotic in trying to present facts to the "informed experts" here. There may have to be some additions to my ignore list (which is pretty small, actually) after that thread. Stay safe.

I think your wealth of knowledge has always been welcome on the DCL board and hope I or no one else has insulted you!?

ex techie

Thats something I only recently have been made aware of. Up until recently, background checks were conducted by CBP upon receipt of the manifest...which was at sailing. That's why most people with warrants aren't picked up until they hit the first US port. Cruise lines really only pinged on folks that were already flagged with that line...meaning something happened on a past cruise. However, a couple lines have started doing their own background checks that include full criminal history. I think it started with Carnival and it looks like RCI is starting to do it. I'm not sure what caused the lines to start doing this, but I suspect it has something to do with the recent mandate for lines to reports crime stats to the FBI.

Ah ha! You know those pesky D members! ;)

Noting your use of "full criminal history", do you think they'll just do assault/RSO and ignore other stuff? E.g., do the people with fraud or DUI or shoplifting get to board?

Also, if that poster is to be believed and he was denied boarding at the port (in front of other pax, he said), wonder if they will refund the ones they fail to cancel/block before PIF. Tons of potential forum drama here, heh. (I can already hear certain lines' cheerleaders chanting "criminals don't deserve refunds!")

Edited by perditax

Noting your use of "full criminal history", do you think they'll just do assault/RSO and ignore other stuff? E.g., do the people with fraud or DUI or shoplifting get to board?

Also, if that poster is to be believed and he was denied boarding at the port (in front of other pax, he said), wonder if they will refund the ones they fail to cancel/block before PIF. Tons of potential forum drama here, heh. (I can already hear certain lines' cheerleaders chanting "criminals don't deserve refunds!")

Perditax,

Just asking, but how much information about a persons background history would a private company (example, the cruise line) be able to access without consent of that person?

I've not read the cruise contract to that detail to see whether they have added that to the cruise contract and therefore you consent, but wouldn't that invade a persons privacy, and only be able to be conducted by law enforcement agents or the person themselves?

ex techie

Yeah, from what I can tell, they're only targeting certain crimes, and it seems as though its a tendency towards violence they care about. In fact, I've heard several stories now of aspiring Carnival passengers getting letters in the mail who had past assault/battery convictions.

As for being denied at the port with supposedly no prior communication, I'm not sure I buy that story. Of course, I don't know what happened but I don't find it likely a cruise line doing background checks would leave it until embarkation day to drop the axe on a passenger. Of course, this is an evolving process that perhaps the cruise lines haven't mastered yet....considering how many checks they need to do daily.

Perditax,

Just asking, but how much information about a persons background history would a private company (example, the cruise line) be able to access without consent of that person?

I've not read the cruise contract to that detail to see whether they have added that to the cruise contract and therefore you consent, but wouldn't that invade a persons privacy, and only be able to be conducted by law enforcement agents or the person themselves?

ex techie

Yeah it's legal. For the most part, criminal histories are public record. You could actually do a criminal background check online on someone else if you wanted. Recent contracts I've read do disclose background checks. I don't remember how specific they are, but the language does cover it.

It seems like the thread got undeleted but the first hand account was removed. If nothing else I could see the person's report being of value to people with criminal records who planned to sail RCL. And there's another reply there now from another person with first hand experience.

While I have certain issues with teenagers ending up as RSOs for dating only slightly younger teens, I suppose I can't fault the cruise lines for wanting to keep potentially violent elements away from what is after all a captive audience.

I wonder how many "hits" they get per sailing on average.

Edited by perditax

Yeah it's legal. For the most part, criminal histories are public record. You could actually do a criminal background check online on someone else if you wanted. Recent contracts I've read do disclose background checks. I don't remember how specific they are, but the language does cover it.

I mean like if someone who lived in Florida and were arrested in their 30's, who then moved to say Nevada, and now in their 40's?

How many John David Smiths or Nathan Christopher Jones can there be out there? How would they track them?

How does a cruise line get information about a pending prosecution?

All examples above! lol!

ex techie

I mean like if someone who lived in Florida and were arrested in their 30's, who then moved to say Nevada, and now in their 40's?

How many John David Smiths or Nathan Christopher Jones can there be out there? How would they track them?

How does a cruise line get information about a pending prosecution?

All examples above! lol!

ex techie

Dates of birth and middle names make them unique. That's all that's needed to do a check. As for pending prosecutions, arrests are also included in checks. It would be the cruise lines' discretion to allow/deny folks who have arrests w/out prosecution.

Yes, you got it.:D I wanted to respond to him that he obviously had no idea who he was spouting off to and he was looking like a complete fool.:p

Have you read that thread today? My goodness. The moderstors really need to take control of that person. He is the very definition of an internet troll.

It really is unfortunate and it is exactly the reason I rarely visit the NCL boards. It's amazing how one person can have so much negative affect. I'm done with that thread. People like that aren't worth my time.

Edited by Aquahound

Have you read that thread today? My goodness. The moderstors really need to take control of that person. He is the very definition of an internet troll.

It really is unfortunate and it is exactly the reason I rarely visit the NCL boards. It's amazing how one person can have so much negative affect. I'm done with that thread. People like that aren't worth my time.

I love how some people treat the board like a court of law and one has to prove one's position. Your restraint is enviable.

Can someone please explain what happened on the NCL ship. I have no desire to read all the posts because of some of the nasty people who posted on that thread. I did a search online, but found absolutely nothing on a security breach on the NCL ship.

So, how did these people actually get on board the ship in the first place? If they were able to get on board, doesn't that make anyone nervous about the lack of security? In this day and age of terrorism, this story makes me a bit cautious and wonder how something like this could have happened.