Pacific Eden (No Vegetables?)

Zanny

Hi, Just baack from 9 nights south Pacific cruise. Hardly any vegeetables on this ship. A few were in the fat cow in the pantry but trying to get main dinner meal in Waterfront with vegetables was a no go. Was told by several staff members that they never arrived at the ship in time. NO EXCUSE for this the man in charge of all the food (who ever he was) is completely responsible for this. and should haqqvee got vegetables from another supplier.

In all of my18 cruises i never heard of thiis happening.

I would like your thoughts on this please.

Regards Zanny

I have never heard of that happening. The staff must have been very upset. I can see that if the supplier let them down, there probably was not time to get the veges elsewhere. It would be a very large order and cannot be supplied by the local greengrocer.:)

They cant just purchase from anyone. Any supplier would have to meet the stringent health quality standards , so I would imagine an order of that size would be grown to order.

I dont think that supplier will get a second chance and will probably be facing a penalty. I would also imagine demand would be very high pre Christmas .

I have always wondered , with all the advances in Hydroponics , whether some vegetables could be grown on board.......:)

Hi, Just baack from 9 nights south Pacific cruise. Hardly any vegeetables on this ship. A few were in the fat cow in the pantry but trying to get main dinner meal in Waterfront with vegetables was a no go. Was told by several staff members that they never arrived at the ship in time. NO EXCUSE for this the man in charge of all the food (who ever he was) is completely responsible for this. and should haqqvee got vegetables from another supplier.

Regards Zanny

Hi Zanny,

Your feedback, combined with all the poor reviews on CC, is making me very nervous that we have chosen the wrong cruise line for our Christmas cruise.

What line would leave port without sufficient food for its passengers? Particularly fresh veggies.

They are already offering future cruise credit to those on the inaugural cruises of both Aria & Eden for the poor experience, so what compensation are they offering for insufficient food on your Pacific itinerary?

Should we be packing frozen tv roast dinners for our Christmas dinner?

I am now very concerned about what to expect on-board.

Hi Zanny,

Your feedback, combined with all the poor reviews on CC, is making me very nervous that we have chosen the wrong cruise line for our Christmas cruise.

What line would leave port without sufficient food for its passengers? Particularly fresh veggies.

They are already offering future cruise credit to those on the inaugural cruises of both Aria & Eden for the poor experience, so what compensation are they offering for insufficient food on your Pacific itinerary?

Should we be packing frozen tv roast dinners for our Christmas dinner?

I am now very concerned about what to expect on-board.

I am sure they will have everything fixed. After all, it is 20 more days to Christmas. P&O cannot afford to have continuing problems.

On the Diamond Princess Singapore to Sydney last year there was a huge shortage of eggs due to a wrong order ..... Can't remember the numbers but instead of 600 dozen only 50 dozen got delivered (as example)

They flew them from the USA to meet us in Bangkok. So 4 days of limited eggs at breakfast apparently

So staff ordering and suppliers can both make mistakes on any cruise line.

I wouldn't be concerned about future cruises that are planned. I had a wonderful time on Eden from Freo to Sydney. And the Diamond's egg shortage cruise [emoji3]

Relax and enjoy.......you are on a cruise !

I am sure they will have everything fixed. After all, it is 20 more days to Christmas. P&O cannot afford to have continuing problems.

Echo that.

It'd likely be a one-off. They're not going to discontinue supplying vegies I'm sure! It was pointed out they had vegies, just not as much as normally supplied. I don't think any captain would risk an upset cruise full of passengers delayed just so they could get some more vegies on board.

I was on Pacific Dawn for the five ship spectacular.

The good thing we did have vegetables.

The bad thing my teenage daughter loves broccoli and could not find it on the sides order, but one night I had salmon and it came with one broccoli so she was requested a serve of broccoli as she was eating her final piece discovered a maggot in it.

We complained and was told it happens often.

We can attest to it happening often, as on our previous Pacific Dawn cruise, my daughter had a live maggot walking across the tomato sauce that she just put on her hot dog purchased from the Grill.

On both occasions the ship sent a bottle of champagne to the cabin.

Kim

The bad thing my teenage daughter loves broccoli and could not find it on the sides order, but one night I had salmon and it came with one broccoli so she was requested a serve of broccoli as she was eating her final piece discovered a maggot in it.

We can attest to it happening often, as on our previous Pacific Dawn cruise, my daughter had a live maggot walking across the tomato sauce that she just put on her hot dog purchased from the Grill.

Kim

Message - Anyone on the Pacific Dawn should check their food for wildlife. :D

Kim

Oh dear :(

Not sure that champagne would make up for that for me.

Kim

Another Goid reason to avoid Broccoli.

Probably P&O too.

The way my teenage daughter found the maggot was that she stuck her fork in the leafy end and was going to take a bite from the trunk end (I hope that makes sense) and noticed the maggot just at the part where the trunk became the leaves/branches. That maggot could have had relatives/friends throughout the other broccoli.

For the tomato sauce incident they did remove that bottle/dispenser and refilled it. That maggot was alive.

My daughter is currently on Sea Princess and so far is maggot free.

Kim

Rest assured Mark, regardless of any issues we had on Eden, we certainly didn't go hungry. Quality varied from the various outlets and the very best dining is or will be in the to-pay eateries, but there was plenty of food. :) Oh and be careful of anyone's suggestions if they say they like the coffee from the Pantry machines. There is something wrong with their taste buds!! :eek:

Steve.

Ship provisioning is serious business! It's an interesting topic managing food resources onboard.

And it must be hard.

If they run short can't just duck down to Woolies and grab 5000 kg of spuds, or whatever

Rest assured Mark, regardless of any issues we had on Eden, we certainly didn't go hungry. Quality varied from the various outlets and the very best dining is or will be in the to-pay eateries, but there was plenty of food. :) Oh and be careful of anyone's suggestions if they say they like the coffee from the Pantry machines. There is something wrong with their taste buds!! :eek:

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve.

Yes, I was joking about taking my own frozen TV roast meal for Christmas dinner (heaven knows I could lose a few kilos by starving :)), but I am seriously considering taking my own single cup coffee plunger and freshly ground coffee beans. Nothing worse that bad coffee from those automated coffee machines.

With just over a week to go before we board, I just hope they have got all the on-board issues sorted out. From what I have been reading on CC and viewing on youtube, I have not been filled with confidence about P&Os ability to resolve them in a short space of time.

I will try and report back about the on-board experience.

Thanks again.

Regards Zanny

So what does that mean? If you ordered a steak for dinner, did you just get a plate with a steak on it, and maybe a bit of sauce? You wouldn't want to have been a vegan.

Oh I should add too Mark, the (to pay) coffee in the bars and cafes was among the best I've had anywhere. They are only small cups and I was known to have two in a row some times. They cost $3.50.

Steve.

So what does that mean? If you ordered a steak for dinner, did you just get a plate with a steak on it, and maybe a bit of sauce? You wouldn't want to have been a vegan.

As they did have vegies onboard, I'm sure if you had said you were vegetarian they would have catered for that, and not said you had to starve. :p