Star Room Service Fee/Tip

tripper1008

My family and I are going on the Star December 13th. I have a question about the room service fee $7.95 is this a tip or do I still tip the person delivering the food?

The $7.95 is a "service charge". Maybe all of it goes to NCL, maybe some it is pooled for servers. Who really knows? Because of service charge we won't be ordering cabin service. But if we did I would still give a tip to whoever brought the food. I know there are many on this board who disagree.

Do whatever seems comfortable for you.

Edited by NMLady

Yea...I'd tip also. But...I'm not going to order a meal from room service though, not for $7.95. Room service however still does offer the previous limited morning menu until I believe 10 am for free.

last week on the dawn, they said $7.95 on all orders!:( we sure did not see any empty trays in the hall ways!:)

last week on the dawn, they said $7.95 on all orders!:( we sure did not see any empty trays in the hall ways!:)

Do you think this was a glitch or one of the surprise changes that have been happening? I was looking forward to the usual coffee and rolls in January on Jade but the 7.95 would end that.

The "fee" includes the tip. If you get the complimentary coffee, etc...in the morning...a buck or two is nice.

It is my understanding that if you get the "free room service" within the time frame, there is no service charge, and ABSOLUTELY, you should tip.....however, if you get room service outside of that, tipping is up to you. I feel that the 7.95 covers the tips.

Do you think this was a glitch or one of the surprise changes that have been happening? I was looking forward to the usual coffee and rolls in January on Jade but the 7.95 would end that.

There was a room service card in the room and it said coffee and several other things was free. but the paper that had all the activities listed said ALL room service orders was $7.95.

I did not try, I wasn't sure because I didn't want to pay for coffee!:)

The card in the room implied that the morning room service was still free until a certain time, with its very limited items. There was even a menu checklist that you could use and hang on your door the previous evening. However, I guess the thing to do would be to call the room service number and just ask free or not, if you wished to use it.

thank you for all the comments we do not use room service much usually the kids wanting something here and there and have always tipped $1 per plate but that was when it was free as I felt the staff deserved the compensation for our laziness. guess we will play it by ear.

I just searched this exact question and found this thread. My last few cruises have been in the Haven so I didn't really pay attention the the room service fee. In two weeks I will be sailing in a non Haven room so came to research this. In the past, when the room service was free, we would tip $5 every time. This even included just getting a pot of coffee in the morning. However, I think that now since there is a $7.99 fee we will not tip for this service. My feeling is if NCL is charging this fee somehow they are giving part of it to the employees who perform the service.